Why don't people like HTC anymore?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The Build Materials used for a device is also a factor in build quality. Using all plastics means the quality of the build on your device is inferior to someone who uses better materials.

There's a complete 180 degree difference between holding something like a Samsung device, which literally feels like tupperware, and holding something like an Xperia ion, iPhone, One X, or Lumia.

Also, plastics love to creak, and so do Samsung's phones.

Have a Skyrocket. I'm fine with the plastics, for the most part. But when I had other phones they actually felt like they cost $500. Samsung devices feel like mass produced toys bound for Wal-Mart.

---------- Post Merged at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Meanwhile for years phones were made out of plastic.

IPhones, androids, now suddenly plastic is a bad thing?

Nothing wrong with plastic.

This phone has great build quality as many times as its been dropped.

HTC has had more build quality issues than the gs3

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

You're not really looking at it from the correct perspective. Phones WERE made out of plastic. The only OEM still assaulting the world with tons of plastic phones is Samsung.

Polycarbonate is plastic, it's just a higher grade, higher quality plastic, for the record (so plastics are still in use). Samsung just tends to use the thinnest, flimsiest plastic yet.

I mean, removeable batteries are nice, but it kind of sucks when they give you wafer thing battery covers that can warp when the phone overheats. No one likes devices that creak. No one likes it when their phone faceplace starts to indent in when the capacitive buttons have been used quite a bit.

There are definite advantagest to using the materials they use, but it doesn't make their phones feel any less cheap. It's interesting how much people are willing to sacrifice just for the thinnest/lightest device, though...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Nothing wrong with plastic. Only something wrong with the way Samsung does it. The Lumia line and One X are great examples of how to use plastic.

The look and feel of the One X are one of the reasons I still love this phone.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't consider cheap plastic on a $700 phone to be quality.

Look, I agree with you, but that's not generally what build quality is used to describe in smart phones. It more means whether or no the device holds together well or not, or has lots of manufacturing defects. In that respect, the GS3 has pretty good build quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

There are different kinds of plastic, man. The plastic use to make a motorcycle helmet is not the same kind of plastic they use for plastic forks for McDonalds.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not, some people just use semantics to mask obvious issues. If Samsung put a plastic lens on their camera sensor instead of glass I guess it wouldn't matter cause "the camera is good enough quality, anyways, therefore the build quality is great." Build quality isn't just about the components in the phone. That's hardware, and phones these days are all uses pretty similar if not almost the same hardware in them in many places. Everyone knows the hardware in the GS3 is good - great even. The build quality is dubious, because it's all plastic and it's a cheap plastic to boot. The phone's entire shell is that plastic. Using dubious materials to "build" a phone has a huge impact on build quality. GS3 is super cheap plastic. Sony ion is brushed Aluminum. iPhone 5 is brushed aluminum. Lumia 900/920 and One X are Full-Shell Polycarbonate. Motorola uses Kevlar, etc. In addition to that their AMOLED screens simply aren't comparing so favorably to the LCD screens used in phones like the One X or Atrix HD - or even the AMOLED screens used in Nokia's phones (the Screen on the L900 was better than the GS2's SA+ screen, and the L920's screen will almost undoubtedly be better than what's on the GS3/Galaxy Nexus).

The only OEM not making any improvements in the build of their devices is Samsung. They're totally content with what they've been doing.

There are obvious benefits, like weight, thickness, and the ease at which they can fit extra ports in their phones - like a MicroSD Card slot - in addition to the ease in ensuring a removeable battery makes it to their devices (because they can use the thinnest battery covers ever encountered when those materials are used) in addition to avoiding unnecessary attenuation in their radios.

But it makes the device feel low class and cheap compared to those other devices. Samsung devices are the only ones I cannot bear to use Haptic Feedback on, chiefly because of how cheap it makes their phones feel when those materials vibrate.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I like Samsung but they need to step up the build quality of there devices. There back battery cover is so flimsy it feels like you are breaking it when you remove it. Some plastic is good but don't build the entire phone from it.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Also, JB is shipping out for the S3 in Europe and Samsung has confirmed that the S2 and S2 LTE will get JB, which means the both AT&T variants will likely get it as well.

So the thing about the S2 being dropped after ICS is B.S.

Still getting mine reflashed back to GB when I can make it to an AT&T DSC, though, cause their ICS update is pretty terrible.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, JB is shipping out for the S3 in Europe and Samsung has confirmed that the S2 and S2 LTE will get JB, which means the both AT&T variants will likely get it as well.

So the thing about the S2 being dropped after ICS is B.S.

Still getting mine reflashed back to GB when I can make it to an AT&T DSC, though, cause their ICS update is pretty terrible.

I'll believe it when I see it. HTC said the same thing about ICS for the DHD, and then went back on it.

Not sure why you'd want the update, though, since ICS so thoroughly screwed up the phone that you want to go back to GB.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Of course it does you buy what you like and forget about the haters if your happy who cares

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

People opinion followed by a reasonable/solid statement doesn't make them a hater.... Just means that's how they feel

People's opinion followed by no solid argument or valid backing is being a hater.... No one has said the HOX sucks or Flat out HTC sucks (I don't think)

So yea be happy if you own an HOX its one of the best phones you can own it goes head to head with any phone.... This forum is about HTC as a company and with out that HOX idk where HTC would be.... You own HTC's floatation device as they are stranded in the middle of the ocean....

Sent from my GS3....

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I like Samsung but they need to step up the build quality of there devices. There back battery cover is so flimsy it feels like you are breaking it when you remove it. Some plastic is good but don't build the entire phone from it.

So since the back cover feels flimsy when you remove it.. It's poor build quality?.. Who's walking around with just the back cover? Most back covers had that air feeling when snapped in like you can press down and feel space or movement... Not with the GS3 is sold when snapped in.... Samsung has stepped up in a major way on build quality... Compare the S1, S2, to the GS3 and tell me there isn't a huge difference.. I'd never own an old Samsung but GS3 is solid... Just feels a lil slippery

Sent from my GS3....

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So since the back cover feels flimsy when you remove it.. It's poor build quality?.. Who's walking around with just the back cover? Most back covers had that air feeling when snapped in like you can press down and feel space or movement... Not with the GS3 is sold when snapped in.... Samsung has stepped up in a major way on build quality... Compare the S1, S2, to the GS3 and tell me there isn't a huge difference.. I'd never own an old Samsung but GS3 is solid... Just feels a lil slippery

Sent from my GS3....

Never felt the back on the S3. I felt it on the Samsung Fascinate and some of there cheaper models and it felt really bad. Maybe they are getting better with there build quality.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Having had the fascinate, charge and now sgs 3, I can say that it is the same old flimsy back cover the held by itself. Once it is put on, different story.

The build on the sgs is leaps and bounds ahead of Samsung's, but still lacking when compared to the razor and several of the HTC's that I have played with for an extended period

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Is Verizon supposed to be getting the Droid Incredible X.
Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums