Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Default Re: Why don't people like HTC anymore?

I am so sick of people citing the battery as a reason to not get the One X. My battery life has been nothing but great, no complaints. That argument is total BS. Quit reading numbers on a page and USE the phone yourself for a while, you'd be surprised.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rafy CoreDroid Port

I am in the minority, but my grief lies in their support for custom ROMS, and the dev community.
    I have owned 1 N1, an Aria, 2 Inspires, and 2 Vivids. With all the phones prior to the vivids I could unlock and root pretty easily. Custom ROMS were a plenty. By the time I upgraded to the Vivids, HTC had started hoarding code, and monking with the backside making flashing kernels a pain. Most custom ROMs are either crippled ports or attempts to remove as much HTC as possible and still work. With the Vivid, you'll never be able to flash a true AOSP (that is sad), MIUI is meh, and you can just out and out forget about Cyanogen.

HTC tried to brighten their image by releasing ICS on the Vivid as an OTA faster than any other manufacturer. In their rush they released flawed code, and still refused to release binaries or code to allow devs to, well, develope. Instead of fixing this code they have just abandoned the Vivid as out of date and creates yet another bad impression for the general consumer. Instead of supporting the power user, they ignore them. This results in the hardware being panned as yet *another* joke from HTC, even though it has amazing hardware specs affording it the longevity of previous HTC devices.

Their lack of attention to both the average consumer *and* the power user has tarnished the great reputation built on the N1 and Droid/Droid 2. The crap Inspire hardware, and their continued lack of dev support for more devices than the Vivid really shows how they messed up.

You can **** off one or the other, but **** off both and you lose market share fast.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    They saw the quality from the Thunderbolt and switched to another OEM.

It's more than a name thing.

Just sayin'.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    A name alone can still be a strong influence though.

Especially since people switch from one brand to another just cause they didn't like one single phone under that brand.

ROM
    Stock

I had the Thunderbolt and I was on my 4th one and it was crap
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Just to throw in my 2 cnts here about the One X, I have the HTC Evo 4G LTE on Sprint, the One X's brother so to speak. Every design difference other than the battery here was addressed with this phone IMO. Removable storage, even more of a premium feel to it, and also naturally the Evo kickstand (of course that's an Evo thing I know.)
    I've been using this thing like a mad man since getting it and the battery really is a non-issue for me really, and that's coming from a long time BlackBerry user as well owning more batteries than you can shake a stick at. Also as noted by someone above, battery pack, yes I already had one and it's a good back up plan for sure. The One X is a great device on a fast network, the Evo is a greater (IMO) device on a, well, not so good network. If AT&T had the Evo, then I'm sure it would be selling even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Larzzzz View Post
    I am in the minority, but my grief lies in their support for custom ROMS, and the dev community.
    I have owned 1 N1, an Aria, 2 Inspires, and 2 Vivids. With all the phones prior to the vivids I could unlock and root pretty easily. Custom ROMS were a plenty. By the time I upgraded to the Vivids, HTC had started hoarding code, and monking with the backside making flashing kernels a pain. Most custom ROMs are either crippled ports or attempts to remove as much HTC as possible and still work. With the Vivid, you'll never be able to flash a true AOSP (that is sad), MIUI is meh, and you can just out and out forget about Cyanogen.

I love HTC and my Vivid. The Vivid was the first NA phone to be upgraded to ICS and it works pretty good still. I will buy an HTC with JB and give my wife my Vivid ( she has an inspire). I love sense and think it is the best skin. They do need to market better and bring back the SD card slot. IF they are going to stay with the non removable battery then they need to make it last a little longer. I always recommend HTC although Sammy is close behind.
    HTC tried to brighten their image by releasing ICS on the Vivid as an OTA faster than any other manufacturer. In their rush they released flawed code, and still refused to release binaries or code to allow devs to, well, develope. Instead of fixing this code they have just abandoned the Vivid as out of date and creates yet another bad impression for the general consumer. Instead of supporting the power user, they ignore them. This results in the hardware being panned as yet *another* joke from HTC, even though it has amazing hardware specs affording it the longevity of previous HTC devices.

Their lack of attention to both the average consumer *and* the power user has tarnished the great reputation built on the N1 and Droid/Droid 2. The crap Inspire hardware, and their continued lack of dev support for more devices than the Vivid really shows how they messed up.

You can **** off one or the other, but **** off both and you lose market share fast.

Just my opinion.

Lack of removable storage is a downer for me, but I still love my One X.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    A name alone can still be a strong influence though.

Especially since people switch from one brand to another just cause they didn't like one single phone under that brand.
    The HTC One X was/is my first Android phone. After owning the iP3gs then to the iP4 for two years, I had no knowledge of android manufacturers, just impressions.

When it came time I was getting ready to make the switch, right off the bat my impressions were that Samsung makes the best Android devices, of course around the same time I was looking at GS3 the HoX has already been announced but I didn't care because for some strange reason I believed not only was HTC inferior to Samsung, but they made crap products.

Obviously I've done research and got the HoX. But point being, the name and the general perspective of that name means a lot to consumers. Especially uneducated consumers, like my former self.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    coronaboy10 likes this.

To those that say the non - removable battery is a non issue, just wait a year when the battery doesn't hold a charge as long. 16 hours now, but just wait... Thin phones are not sexy when they need to be tethered to the wall! HTC is notorious for putting too small a battery in their phones. This is reason enough that I don't favor the one X. Add in the storage issues & that silly camera lense that sticks way the hell out, just begging to be scratched or broken... Pass.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm still using my old incredible (probably the only person now), loved it from the get go, except for the under-capacity battery issue (I'm on my 3rd battery btw). But I think HTC has dropped the ball & I really wish they'd pull their heads outta their azzes.

ROM

Why all the complaints about ppl not wanting a one x? Sound like overly sensitive females. As long as you like what you have, enjoy it, and stop crying cuz noone else wants it lmao! If they wanted it, they would get it, the same as you did. And talk about samsung use cheap plastic, when one x is using the exact same thing. Samsung must be doing something right, they are trumping htc in every way. Yall complaining about ppl not wanting the phone, flopping in sales and s3 is making a killing. You don't see s3 costumers making these threads. With a bunch of whiners mad that noone wants it. This is some funny stuff here, lmao...get over it, or get rid of it. Ppl like what they like so be happy.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Woah. A bit harsh on the reply. I'm not an HTC hater. I am only stating my opinion as to why I think many people are not buying HTC. I didn't say anything about storage. I find 16gb to be tons of space with Google Music. But the battery needs to be swappable. When I travel I don't have the option to power up. I will play games on a flight and i want to be able to carry an extra battery to make it through. Day to day users don't need this as much.

I personally don't dislike HTC, I have had a few HTC Hero, HTC Nexus One and the HTC Desire HD. But what I can imagine is people have, as I have in the past, tired of waiting for updates. This was not on the whole down to HTC, especially with my Hero, but my mobile provider delaying the update on the HTC Hero, but having said that the overall delay for the HTC phones and update has been Sense.

While, IMO, Sense was a bonus especially on these earlier phones (it was after all what convinced me to join the Android revolution), I feel the Sense overlay on ICS and JellyBean phones to be a distraction from the stock Android experience now afforded by Android 40. and 4.1.

I have preferred the Nexus experience wholly and I have been impressed lately with Samsung phones, maybe others are starting to just look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Larzzzz View Post

Just my opinion.
    Thank you. I have always said that dev support is very important. Most people might not know what a custom ROM is, but purchasing decisions are always influenced by people(Close family members or friends) who are tech savy. And to be honest, there is no way I would tell anyone to get a HOX right now with no Jellybean in sight and no source code to boot. I will tell them to get the s3, since they will get updates faster, and they can always give it to me to flash a custom ROM in there if they feel updates are not coming out faster.

HTC lost our confidence as a dev community. Great hardware is good, great community and dev support is even better. HTC take a cue from samsung who release source codes for phones they are yet to announce

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

I've had 2 HTC devices. My first was the Inspire, and to be honest I don't understand all the hate on that phone. I loved my Inspire. Sold it on Ebay only about 6 months ago for over $230. I have the HoX now and the only thing I was disappointed about was the 2.20 update where HTC and AT&T decided to lock the thing tighter than a drum. For some reason, I thought I couldn't go back to rooting my phone and installing custom roms, but found that since I had done it already on the 1.85 update, I'm back in love with this phone again.

However, all my friends are going to buy the new iPhone so I guess I should too </sarcasm>

HTC really just needs to open their phones (bootloader), and come up with a better marketing campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Sense.. is still a little too heavy, the EVO LTE is just ugly and too tall, Sprint is a poor carrier with data issues so that would hurt EVO sale, poor marketing by htc...

No removable battery, the One S being on Tmobile.....

Sense is a problem, not only is it kinda bloated it has no where near the features of touchwiz in the gs3... Smartactions on motorola...

It's about software....HTC is falling behind on that.
    It's either bloated or it doesn't have enough features but you can't say it's too bloated AND not bloated enough in the same sentence.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

I used to like HTC but around 2010- 2011 their designs started to look outdated. When Samsung was getting thinner and curves, HTC stayed thicker and shaped as a block. I think they never got pass that public perception.

Never will I buy another HTC device. Originally Evo and Evo 3d is the reason must users switch to iphones, I was about to be 1 b4 I discovered the s2 thank god... My HTC over heated, random reboots. Freezing made my life so much harder. One x is a step up but I'm good. Samsung one nothing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    8er

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

It is a fantastic phone without a removable battery and removable storage. Removable storage and replaceable battery are issues. Either of which are show stoppers for some and is 100.0% of the time if I were the only study in the sample.

Quote Originally Posted by robthesixthree View Post
    All these complaints about the phone, battery, storage, blah, blah blah. It's all nonsense. This is a fantastic phone and that stuff is a non issue. I do agree with the inspire being a pos, but the things I liked about it are all here, and the things I didn't are all gone. HTC has my support and I will continue to buy their products

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

If the HTC one x came to Verizon I would have bought that instead of my s3 but I think ppl just aren't happy with their design of phones but I think the one x and s are both sexy devices

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm a superuser
    8er

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Not HTC probably is where we will go.

People shouldn't give a flip about android design guidelines precluding micro SD storage. Manufactures ought to wholly care about driving people away from their brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    SD cards also go against the Android design guidelines. It might drive people away from a brand, but eventually every brand will ditch it. Where will you go then?

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

I had the OG EVO 4G and I loved it. ...For a while. To me, HTC has irked me in several ways. First off is the lack of longer-term support for updates. Second is their wavering stance on opening/not opening/kinda opening the bootloader. They don't seem to understand what they want to do, so how am I supposed to back a company like that? However, I can also attest to build quality being top-notch. My toddler took my naked EVO and threw it off the 2nd floor onto hard tile below and the phone (once put back together) didn't show any signs of the incident. Amazing.

Now, my wife, on the other hand, is not technical. She has the EVO also, and even she can compose a justified argument for her issues with the phone, and they don't have to do with the UI. The EVO basically has 512MB for internal/app storage. After a fresh reload of the stock ROM, she has way less than 400MB to play with. That might have been acceptable 2 years ago, but apps got bigger. So she promptly runs out of space now, even when shoving everything she can onto the SD card. So we rooted it to get rid of the bloat in an effort to get more space on it and went with an SOS ROM because it's very close to stock but adds just a tiny bit of usability features. But she finds that it's just not reliable. And she can't just keep flashing her phone and crap all the time like I do. She just wants it to work. So basically, she's forced into instability. But she doesn't care too much about continued support as long as the phone works.

That said, the EVO 4G LTE has a lot of internal storage, a bigger battery, and the build quality is still expected to be amazing. She'll probably be getting that in a matter of weeks when we are able to upgrade her phone. For me, I'm sticking with Nexus devices from here on out. I don't care if Samsung or Motorola or anybody makes them. To me, it's all about continued support.

Wait, all this hate over a two year old phone?

The Nexus One suffered the same 512 memory limitation. It was the norm in those days.

You were expecting HTC to issue a memory upgrade OTA?

It's time to upgrade your phone.
    Oh, and one more thing... Your 10 year old car isn't as cool or as energy efficient as a brand new one. Yup, who knew?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Wait, all this hate over a two year old phone?

The Nexus One suffered the same 512 memory limitation. It was the norm in those days.

You were expecting HTC to issue a memory upgrade OTA?

It's time to upgrade your phone.
    Oh, and one more thing... Your 10 year old car isn't as cool or as energy efficient as a brand new one. Yup, who knew?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Your argument says nothing to my perspective, just my wife's. My qualms are with the company's philosophy. And I told you - my wife's not a techie, so to her the phone just doesn't work like it should. Additionally, the Nexus One didn't have carrier bloat and Sense that immediately took up space. Several of the updates that HAVE come to the phone have further reduced the available space. So your argument is like saying it's no big deal that Subaru filled the tank in my WRX up with sand when all the other cars of the same age had empty tanks.

And calm down, dude - I also said we'll be getting the new EVO lol
    ssloko likes this.

Global Posts
    4,273 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Bad quality and they always skimp on something. I was a bit skeptical going with the Skyrocket over the One X because of the screen resolution difference but I did use an ion before the SR and in the end I actually don't GaF about that. The phone just works, I can rep the battery if that goes bad, it lasts over a day on moderate use on HSPA+, it has a good camera (once I Google up some Smartphone Photography 101 lessons :-P), it's fast, has an SD card slot ($20 for 16GB at Best Buy thank you very much) and it has all the social tie-ins I need. Upgraded to ICS a week after I got it, too.

A bigger, removeable battery. An SD Card Slot (those are too cheap now, omitting one is a disservice to your customers, IMO). A bigger battery.

HTC was known for 2-3 things leading up to the "Sensation/Raider" Series/One X:

1. Bad Cameras: With lots of noise, bad low light performance, and predictable white balance issues. Their earlier BSI sensors had excessive exposure compensation in lower lighting conditions (Vivid, Rezound - I haven't used a Sensation or MT4G or Amaze 4G to see how those perform in similar situations). Codec used for Videos was typically below Samsung/Apple, Sound Quality in Video was generally quite bad if not downright abysmal. They tended to compress their images more than Samsung and others as well.

2. Bad Screens: They hung on to the older LCD screen tech for WAY too long.

3. Low Internal Storage - Not until the Vivid/Amaze4G/Rezound did they give a respectable amount of internal storage in their devices. Remember the G2 storage debacle.

4. Volatile Build Quality (Z Hinge, Materials, Thickness, No Gorilla Glass, Excessively protruding camera modules that scratched easily when phone on back or cracked easily if dropped on back, weightiness (this and thickness is an issue for people who prefer cases like Otterboxes), etc.). Their counter to the Samsung GS2 on AT&T and Verizon was the Vivid and Rezound, for example, and the Amaze 4G on T-Mobile (though I rather liked the look of the phone, and it's camera buttons).

5. Small Batteries: 1230 mAh when everyone else was using ~1500 mAh batteries. 1620-1735 when everyone else is using 1850-2100 mAh batteries on similarly or better spec'd (in the case of devices with AMOLED screens, even more EFFICIENTLY spec'd devices). I'm glaringly omitting things like BT 2.1 when Samsung starting using 3.0 back in the GS3, which can have huge implications on battery life for people who use BT Headsets/Headphones, in car, etc.).

6. Tech Lagging: WiFi Direct, NFC, etc. all came later to HTC handsets than same-generation Samsung handsets.

Plain and simple, most people didn't really like HTC's devices all that much. They liked HTC Sense, but even that became a beast - and they liked HTC's support of the dev community (things turned quickly when they started locking bootloaders - people jumped ship to Samsung in droves). TW3/GS1 was so absolutely terrible (RFS, Lag, borderline InPp GPS, PenTile screen with Image Retention, constant force closures/black screens due to buggy TouchWiz, absolutely terrible updates especially for US variants, etc.) that HTC could have steamrolled Samsung if they wanted, but they choked, and Samsung's Marketing distortion field was enough to bury HTC, because HTC's devices simply weren't that good, anyways.

The One Series are good phones, but they took shortcuts that simply look bad especially when OEMs like Samsung take things to the next level (not only do you get an SD card slot, but you can use... OMGZ... 64GB cards!!! Yay! - not only is the battery removeable, but it's... OMG... 21% bigger than the One X's battery). These things do matter, because a lot of people buy with possibilities in mind, not just the here and now. What you can possibly do with a device often means a lot more than we thing. This works in a lot of markets, like automobiles. Someone may never have to tow an R.V., but they'll get a truck that can do it simply because it can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    It's either bloated or it doesn't have enough features but you can't say it's too bloated AND not bloated enough in the same sentence.
    Yes you can. Being bloated and being feature packed aren't the same thing. I can write a bloated Hello World program, no problem, and a streamlined one. Neither has more features than the other. One is just coded worse than the other.

Sense IS bloated and it is heavy. It's been a constant complaint about it for quite a while.

TouchWiz was absolutely terrible at 3.0 and the Original Galaxy S was super bad for such a hyped Flagship and HTC let that opportunity slip between their fingers cause they had a few good quarters and wanted to milk the cow with 500 different smartphone models.

Didn't work out too well.

As for memory, HTC has generally been good about RAM. They actually moved from 512 to 768 eariler than I think any other Manufacturer. The problem they've had has been with actual Storage on their devices. They didn't give much at all.

Because they did 2 stupid things:

1) They signed exclusives with AT&T (One X) and T-Mobile (One S). This was a CRITICAL error. Samsung on the other hand worked with all nationwide carriers here in the states, and even several regional ones, to get the SAME phone out to all of them. Yes, Sprint then got the Evo 4G LTE and Verizon the Droid Incredible 4G LTE, but then what was the point of coming up with the One series?!! If they had released the One X AND One S on all carriers, with removable storage like the Evo 4G LTE, then this would be a whole different ballgame right now.

2) They then let the carriers cripple the phone compared to the GS3 competition. It's bad enough that the GS3 has removable storage and the HOX doesn't, but HTC allowed AT&T to cut the storage from 32GB on the international version to 16GB stateside. The version of the One S with all of the marketing hoopla was the black (ceramic-metallic) one, so which version is the only one T-Mobile wants to sell? That's right: the blue(ish) painted one. Once again: 16GB storage, no removable storage. HTC seems to have an "if we build it they will come" philosophy...but that only works when you build something clearly superior. They can't wow in one area (screen, build quality, camera) only to let their customers down in others (multitasking, no removable storage or battery, less RAM). This is especially true when you have competitors that you only slightly best with your strong suits, but they clearly best you in your weak areas like the GS3 does to the One X.
    husa3695 and calvin35 like this.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast