Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Why don't people like HTC anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    This thread is making me LOL.

HTC as a manufacturer has done far more for Android than Samsung has. The definitive Android device, and still a TON of people's favorite, is the Nexus One. Made by HTC. That phone has set the tone for HTC's design language as a whole (yes, they don't all directly descend from the N1). Next in line is Motorola with the Droid. Do you think Android would've taken off on the coattails of the original Galaxy S line? Definitely not. GPS didn't even work right. I can bring that up, because people are bringing up two year old HTC phones that don't work the same way as brand new devices (isn't that kinda obvious anyway).

Sony has done more on the software side (Google has said they have given back more code then any other manufacturer).

Samsung, to be frank, is successful because they blatantly copy other companies (court cases to prove it). Samsung is the Apple of Android manufacturers. They sell millions of devices, have huge marketing budgets, and are more than happy to litigate to protect their stuff. They won't break the mold, won't significantly change Touchwiz, and will become stale over time because of this. They have reached the point where people want a "touchwiz" phone because they got used to it on their older device. Call it success if you want (financially it is), but some things they choose to do hold back the platform as a whole (blame Google for not having more control, but we love open source right?) (menu button, SD card both go against Google guidelines). Who cares about Google guidelines? Developers. How can they reliably code an app for the way Android should work if manufacturers are purposely throwing those out the window?

I'm not giving HTC a pass, though, either. They had a rough 2011 and didn't have any real blockbuster devices. I blame them solely relying on Qualcomm as part of the reason. Why not make a Tegra 2 device and take advantage of that marketing? They also didn't have any killer features, but they weren't terrible in any particular area either. They were mid-to-upper range in every area, with no glaring issues but also no standout feature to shove in people's face. Then there's the Thunderbolt. Arguably their flagship last year solely because it was the first LTE phone. The launch was borked, the phone looked terrible, the build quality wasn't great, and it didn't age well at all. It had older internals, and was quickly overshadowed by the Charge (another phone completely forgotten).

My issue is this....why get stuck on what they used to do? The One Series is great. It has some solid standout features (camera, screen, design), and a few questionable ones (minfree settings), but by no means are those deal breakers for most. And if you're going to hold HTC's history against it, then do the same for Samsung. The original Galaxy S line was a mess. GPS didn't work (seriously how did they ship that way?), the screens weren't good (even at the time they really weren't), and Touchwiz was absolutely terrible and looked exactly like iOS.

And stop getting stuck on battery capacity. I get through an entire day of use every day. It's efficient. The display is efficient, more so than AMOLED in most cases (AMOLED is only more efficient when displaying dark scenes, when dislpaying white like in web pages it's terrible). The material used might be the same, but HTC did better with it IMO. It doesn't feel as cheap (if you disagree that's fine, but then you probably haven't held both phones either).
    +1 to kev. Smart guy. And its true,why judge on their past.? Their current phone are killer compared to other phones. The one x is by far my favorite Htc (keep in mind i said htc,iv had plenty others) phone i ever owned. I owned the original htc evo,the 3D,and the one x. The one x out preforms,out beautifies,out does any other previous htc phone. Why.? Time. Technology changes real quick in such little time. Member when having a single core 1Ghz processor was said to be lightning fast.? Then dual-core showed up,and not even a year later nvidia announced their quad-core chip. Everything gets better,and more advanced over time,The past is the past and we should be judging on the now. Keep in mind high tech computers was the first company for manu things,1st android phone,1st Ghz processor in a phone,first 4.3 inch screen,first ina bunch of things. Htc is one of the best cell makers in all time; keep in mind moto,nokia,and others where making phones yeeeaaaarrrrs b4 htc was first founded,and they made their way to the top 5phone makers cause obviously they make great azz phones. Now,one x is awsome phone. Switch phones or Stop complaining guys,not that hard.

Sent from my super awe-esome Htc one x(:

I love HTC and will ride her into the ground along with their current mngt team!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

The ONE X is not the answer to the SGSIII as stated above, the one that is coming is the answer and will help to pull HTC out of the spin they are on right now. They just need to get it out by about mid-November, to most carriers, and throw some money at it.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    The ONE X is not the answer to the SGSIII as stated above, the one that is coming is the answer and will help to pull HTC out of the spin they are on right now. They just need to get it out by about mid-November, to most carriers, and throw some money at it.
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? The S3 was the answer to the One X. When/if the upgraded version comes out then Samsung will need to answer that.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoman69 View Post
    Because they did 2 stupid things:

1) They signed exclusives with AT&T (One X) and T-Mobile (One S). This was a CRITICAL error. Samsung on the other hand worked with all nationwide carriers here in the states, and even several regional ones, to get the SAME phone out to all of them. Yes, Sprint then got the Evo 4G LTE and Verizon the Droid Incredible 4G LTE, but then what was the point of coming up with the One series?!! If they had released the One X AND One S on all carriers, with removable storage like the Evo 4G LTE, then this would be a whole different ballgame right now.

2) They then let the carriers cripple the phone compared to the GS3 competition. It's bad enough that the GS3 has removable storage and the HOX doesn't, but HTC allowed AT&T to cut the storage from 32GB on the international version to 16GB stateside. The version of the One S with all of the marketing hoopla was the black (ceramic-metallic) one, so which version is the only one T-Mobile wants to sell? That's right: the blue(ish) painted one. Once again: 16GB storage, no removable storage. HTC seems to have an "if we build it they will come" philosophy...but that only works when you build something clearly superior. They can't wow in one area (screen, build quality, camera) only to let their customers down in others (multitasking, no removable storage or battery, less RAM). This is especially true when you have competitors that you only slightly best with your strong suits, but they clearly best you in your weak areas like the GS3 does to the One X.
    1) and 2) HTC is not Apple or Samsung. They are not in a position to dictate their terms to carriers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Samsung, to be frank, is successful because they blatantly copy other companies (court cases to prove it). Samsung is the Apple of Android manufacturers. They sell millions of devices, have huge marketing budgets, and are more than happy to litigate to protect their stuff. They won't break the mold, won't significantly change Touchwiz, and will become stale over time because of this. They have reached the point where people want a "touchwiz" phone because they got used to it on their older device. Call it success if you want (financially it is), but some things they choose to do hold back the platform as a whole (blame Google for not having more control, but we love open source right?) (menu button, SD card both go against Google guidelines). Who cares about Google guidelines? Developers. How can they reliably code an app for the way Android should work if manufacturers are purposely throwing those out the window?
    LOL. Burn!

How dare you post this on an Android forum!

I'm not giving HTC a pass, though, either. They had a rough 2011 and didn't have any real blockbuster devices. I blame them solely relying on Qualcomm as part of the reason. Why not make a Tegra 2 device and take advantage of that marketing?
    How effective do you think the Tegra 2 marketing as a whole was? I don't know anyone that bought a phone simply to buy Tegra Zone games. Didn't Tegra 2 also have problems with LTE like Nvidia is having now? Once LTE took off, I didn't really notice Tegra devices taking off.

Or it could just be that I go to work ever day surrounded by 20 or so buildings that have Qualcomm on it....

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

From what I hear from ALL my friends, its that HTC is notoriously known for serious battery drain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cashiskingnyc View Post
    From what I hear from ALL my friends, its that HTC is notoriously known for serious battery drain.

Haven't experienced anything similar on my One X. Maybe it applies to older HTC devices? I wouldn't know, this is my first.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #84  

My thoughts after Apple's earth shattering, life changing reveal today..... I will happily keep my One X, thank you very much. Next to every other "for sale" or "soon to be for sale" device, including The Orchards latest Fruit, I just like the One X more.
    Could it be better? Yep. But from the screen to the design to the OS to the camera, I just think it delivers. Fill it with Jelly Beans and it will go from great to awesome!

Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    LOL. Burn!

How dare you post this on an Android forum!

How effective do you think the Tegra 2 marketing as a whole was? I don't know anyone that bought a phone simply to buy Tegra Zone games. Didn't Tegra 2 also have problems with LTE like Nvidia is having now? Once LTE took off, I didn't really notice Tegra devices taking off.

Or it could just be that I go to work ever day surrounded by 20 or so buildings that have Qualcomm on it....

1) It needs to be said. It's the direction things are going for Samsung. Follow the money, right?

2) I bought a G2X specifically for Tegra 2 and Tegrazone. I want a Nexus 7 for the same reason (I probably wouldn't be a non-Tegra tablet honestly). You don't hear a lot about here because of LTE, yes, but that'll get worked out in future versions of the chip. Tegra 3 is a great chip. Tegra 2 was a great chip. Easily as good as the Snapdragon S3. AT&T and Verizon have both said that all smartphones that they launch have to have LTE (when's the last time a Blackberry came out LOL), so that makes Qualcomm the only game in town for now.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? The S3 was the answer to the One X. When/if the upgraded version comes out then Samsung will need to answer that.
    Pretty sure you guys are saying the same thing.

Sammy is copying HTC, and the timing of releases is close enough together to suggest Sammy may have a mole in HTC's shop because they always come out with just enough to best HTC by a little bit.

The One X + five minutes installing AOPK = the best phone on the market right now. It's that simple.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Pretty sure you guys are saying the same thing.

Sammy is copying HTC, and the timing of releases is close enough together to suggest Sammy may have a mole in HTC's shop because they always come out with just enough to best HTC by a little bit.

Samsung always stuffs tech into their phones. The Galaxy S launched in 2010 with DLNA, BT3.0+HS, Wolfson DAC, Super AMOLED, Hummingbird SoC, 16/32 GB+SD slot, a bigger battery than HTC phones, Wifi N, and a superior camera sensor + FFC compared to HTC devices.

They always do this. Comparenitnside the Skyrocket to the vivid. The reason why Samsung was able to get away with a WVGA screen on their 2011 flagship was cause they stuff education tech into bite while HTC skipped in their phones (no NFC, small batteries, worse BT Specs, etc.).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter View Post
    Samsung always stuffs tech into their phones. The Galaxy S launched in 2010 with DLNA, BT3.0+HS, Wolfson DAC, Super AMOLED, Hummingbird SoC, 16/32 GB+SD slot, a bigger battery than HTC phones, Wifi N, and a superior camera sensor + FFC compared to HTC devices.

They always do this. Comparenitnside the Skyrocket to the vivid. The reason why Samsung was able to get away with a WVGA screen on their 2011 flagship was cause they stuff education tech into bite while HTC skipped in their phones (no NFC, small batteries, worse BT Specs, etc.).

That Samsung keyboard has great auto correction. :-P I kid.

Who pays attention to bluetooth specs? People just want it to work in their car and with headsets. That's all they care about.

Battery life isn't all about capacity....

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

I currently have the HTC Aria and like it. I am up for renewal and I am going with the HTC One X. If it is anything like my Aria has been I will be more than happy with it. Just my .02

Have to disagree there kevin.

In my opinion Samsung is doing more for android than Htc or any other android manufacturer could ever do. If we had to rely on them to grow the android user base it would get nowhere. Look in the Samsung forums alone, there are tons of ex-iphone users who have switched because of the gs3.
    Every time I hear about “Google’s Vision” for android it just irks me. Developers don’t seem to be hindered by Samsung design choices. At least, I have not heard of any. They seem to be able to release mods and / or apps for Samsungs phones in the same timely fashions as for the other manufacturers’ phones. Samsung also makes it easier on developers by releasing their code for new products either before hand or soon after it goes on sale, and don’t have locked boot loaders. Something HTC doesn’t do.
    Despite some people’s opinion on the importance of them, Samsung gives the people what they want. They want removable battery, extra storage etc etc. All the nonsense about marketing is folly and just sour grapes. Don’t know why it’s so hard for some people to get through their heads that some do like TW..Yes! There are people who prefer it like me! How boring would it be if every android phone had the same look and feel? I thought choice was what android was all about.
    I and I would think many others HAVE held both in hand.
    I and many others prefer the home button.
    I and many others prefer TW.
    I and many others prefer the look and feel of the GS3 over the HTC OneX. If some disagree maybe they haven’t held both in their hands.
    Many involved in the tech industry disagree with the ruling handed down by that biased jury. All of the contributors on engadget who are accused of being apple lovers disagreed to some extend with it. And lookie here..so does THE WOZ http://www.androidcentral.com/woz-ap...ghts-i-hate-it

EVO 4g LTE!

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I never had a HTC phone, I use the galaxy nexus (Samsung) but my experience with any phone is that when it freezes it helps that I can take the battery out to restart it. I remember once when my iPhone froze I had to wait till the battery die to reset it. Also HTC doesn't have the marketing as windows, Samsung, or apple to push it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

HTC has a feature that simulates battery pull. And a side note I've had mine from the release and its never frozen on me.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by codejinchu View Post
    I never had a HTC phone, I use the galaxy nexus (Samsung) but my experience with any phone is that when it freezes it helps that I can take the battery out to restart it. I remember once when my iPhone froze I had to wait till the battery die to reset it. Also HTC doesn't have the marketing as windows, Samsung, or apple to push it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Hehe....instead of removing a battery we hold down the power button and that'll reset the phone. And as far as iphones go, hold down the power and home button resets the phone.

Give it a try on your nexus, maybe you'll find a what would be obvious way to reset your phone besides pulling the battery (to me at least).

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by neiljay6 View Post
    Have to disagree there kevin.

In my opinion Samsung is doing more for android than Htc or any other android manufacturer could ever do. If we had to rely on them to grow the android user base it would get nowhere. Look in the Samsung forums alone, there are tons of ex-iphone users who have switched because of the gs3.
    Every time I hear about “Google’s Vision” for android it just irks me. Developers don’t seem to be hindered by Samsung design choices. At least, I have not heard of any. They seem to be able to release mods and / or apps for Samsungs phones in the same timely fashions as for the other manufacturers’ phones. Samsung also makes it easier on developers by releasing their code for new products either before hand or soon after it goes on sale, and don’t have locked boot loaders. Something HTC doesn’t do.
    Despite some people’s opinion on the importance of them, Samsung gives the people what they want. They want removable battery, extra storage etc etc. All the nonsense about marketing is folly and just sour grapes. Don’t know why it’s so hard for some people to get through their heads that some do like TW..Yes! There are people who prefer it like me! How boring would it be if every android phone had the same look and feel? I thought choice was what android was all about.
    I and I would think many others HAVE held both in hand.
    I and many others prefer the home button.
    I and many others prefer TW.
    I and many others prefer the look and feel of the GS3 over the HTC OneX. If some disagree maybe they haven’t held both in their hands.
    Many involved in the tech industry disagree with the ruling handed down by that biased jury. All of the contributors on engadget who are accused of being apple lovers disagreed to some extend with it. And lookie here..so does THE WOZ Woz on the Apple v Samsung patent fights: 'I hate it' | Android Central
    We're not talking about the same thing then. I don't see this as a contest between iOS and Android (and really, we're talking about Touchwiz and Sense, not really Android). This threads original purpose was about why people don't like HTC (but yes, it can evolve and change topics if it stays somewhat relevant).

Of course developers aren't hindered by Samsung's design choices. Samsung kept things the way they were on Gingerbread. As a platform those choices DO hold Android back. How many apps don't properly adhere to the ICS/JB Holo theme with the proper buttons where they are supposed to be?

You also need to realize that app developers don't need kernel source released or unlocked bootloaders. Sounds like you're talking about ROM devs, which is a very low percentage of users.

So marketing doesn't matter? In what world is that actually true? If people don't know about your product, what it can do better than the competition, and why you should get it, then how will it sell? Marketing has a HUGE impact on sales and user base (why do you think people camp out for the next iPhone?).

I also have no problem with people liking Touchwiz. I didn't think it was terrible on the Galaxy S II, but it was horrendous on the original Galaxy S. Sense 2.X was pretty good and added useful features, but 3.X was so-so. Sense 4 is amazing, but the new Touchwiz looks exactly the same. Oh wait, they added some features. Great. Some of it is somewhat useful, some of it isn't. But if I don't want it I still don't have a choice to uninstall it.
    Thanked by 2:
    kkapoorrRy 
    Ry likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

1) It needs to be said. It's the direction things are going for Samsung. Follow the money, right?
    Damn. If I said those same statements, I know of at lest four members on here that would have jumped all over me.

Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

We're not talking about the same thing then. I don't see this as a contest between iOS and Android (and really, we're talking about Touchwiz and Sense, not really Android). This threads original purpose was about why people don't like HTC (but yes, it can evolve and change topics if it stays somewhat relevant).

Of course developers aren't hindered by Samsung's design choices. Samsung kept things the way they were on Gingerbread. As a platform those choices DO hold Android back. How many apps don't properly adhere to the ICS/JB Holo theme with the proper buttons where they are supposed to be?

You also need to realize that app developers don't need kernel source released or unlocked bootloaders. Sounds like you're talking about ROM devs, which is a very low percentage of users.

So marketing doesn't matter? In what world is that actually true? If people don't know about your product, what it can do better than the competition, and why you should get it, then how will it sell? Marketing has a HUGE impact on sales and user base (why do you think people camp out for the next iPhone?).

I also have no problem with people liking Touchwiz. I didn't think it was terrible on the Galaxy S II, but it was horrendous on the original Galaxy S. Sense 2.X was pretty good and added useful features, but 3.X was so-so. Sense 4 is amazing, but the new Touchwiz looks exactly the same. Oh wait, they added some features. Great. Some of it is somewhat useful, some of it isn't. But if I don't want it I still don't have a choice to uninstall it.
    Double-edge sword of Android's openness. Google can make recommendations but unless they start mandating more and more, these OEMs will do whatever they can get away with. I agree, TouchWiz is setting Android back.

ROM developers, unlocked bootloaders- in the real world, it's pretty irrelevant. I will concede though they're a VERY vocal minority. Whenever a new phone comes out and an article about that phone shipping with a locked bootloader, I start to roll my eyes. It's irrelevant to regular consumers.

Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Battery life is more than capacity but when you skip on capacity that's something you cannot overcome unless you limit your phone os in spectacular ways. Iphone gets great battery life with small capacity, but multitasking is limited for example.

BT spec matters to people who use BT file transfer cause 3.0+HS is like 10x faster than 2.1+EDR. Additionally for BT connected peep the higher specs are more battery efficient. AMOLED is more efficient than the LCD panels HTC was using.

This all adds up to substantial disparity on top of the capacity differences.

That updated BT mattered to these people. Whether they thought about it or not.

Additionally HTC was later than Samsung with DLNA, WIFI Direct, and NFC. Samsung phones also have had considerably superior codec support in addition to much better audio hardware (weak sound was common complaint of HTC devices, and why they invested in Beats).

Banned

Global Posts
    4,453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by adamtalife View Post
    Hehe....instead of removing a battery we hold down the power button and that'll reset the phone. And as far as iphones go, hold down the power and home button resets the phone.

Give it a try on your nexus, maybe you'll find a what would be obvious way to reset your phone besides pulling the battery (to me at least).

My ipod touch has frozen and like that user I had to wait til the battery died to reboot it. It happens. Nonremoveable batteries are ab showstopper in a phone. A pmp I can deal with it. A phone, absolutely not.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast