Why don't people like HTC anymore?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung, to be frank, is successful because they blatantly copy other companies (court cases to prove it). Samsung is the Apple of Android manufacturers. They sell millions of devices, have huge marketing budgets, and are more than happy to litigate to protect their stuff. They won't break the mold, won't significantly change Touchwiz, and will become stale over time because of this. They have reached the point where people want a "touchwiz" phone because they got used to it on their older device. Call it success if you want (financially it is), but some things they choose to do hold back the platform as a whole (blame Google for not having more control, but we love open source right?) (menu button, SD card both go against Google guidelines). Who cares about Google guidelines? Developers. How can they reliably code an app for the way Android should work if manufacturers are purposely throwing those out the window?

LOL. Burn!

How dare you post this on an Android forum!

I'm not giving HTC a pass, though, either. They had a rough 2011 and didn't have any real blockbuster devices. I blame them solely relying on Qualcomm as part of the reason. Why not make a Tegra 2 device and take advantage of that marketing?

How effective do you think the Tegra 2 marketing as a whole was? I don't know anyone that bought a phone simply to buy Tegra Zone games. Didn't Tegra 2 also have problems with LTE like Nvidia is having now? Once LTE took off, I didn't really notice Tegra devices taking off.

Or it could just be that I go to work ever day surrounded by 20 or so buildings that have Qualcomm on it.... :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
From what I hear from ALL my friends, its that HTC is notoriously known for serious battery drain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Haven't experienced anything similar on my One X. Maybe it applies to older HTC devices? I wouldn't know, this is my first.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts after Apple's earth shattering, life changing reveal today..... I will happily keep my One X, thank you very much. Next to every other "for sale" or "soon to be for sale" device, including The Orchards latest Fruit, I just like the One X more.
Could it be better? Yep. But from the screen to the design to the OS to the camera, I just think it delivers. Fill it with Jelly Beans and it will go from great to awesome!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
LOL. Burn!

How dare you post this on an Android forum!

How effective do you think the Tegra 2 marketing as a whole was? I don't know anyone that bought a phone simply to buy Tegra Zone games. Didn't Tegra 2 also have problems with LTE like Nvidia is having now? Once LTE took off, I didn't really notice Tegra devices taking off.

Or it could just be that I go to work ever day surrounded by 20 or so buildings that have Qualcomm on it.... :)

1) It needs to be said. It's the direction things are going for Samsung. Follow the money, right?

2) I bought a G2X specifically for Tegra 2 and Tegrazone. I want a Nexus 7 for the same reason (I probably wouldn't be a non-Tegra tablet honestly). You don't hear a lot about here because of LTE, yes, but that'll get worked out in future versions of the chip. Tegra 3 is a great chip. Tegra 2 was a great chip. Easily as good as the Snapdragon S3. AT&T and Verizon have both said that all smartphones that they launch have to have LTE (when's the last time a Blackberry came out LOL), so that makes Qualcomm the only game in town for now.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The ONE X is not the answer to the SGSIII as stated above, the one that is coming is the answer and will help to pull HTC out of the spin they are on right now. They just need to get it out by about mid-November, to most carriers, and throw some money at it.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? The S3 was the answer to the One X. When/if the upgraded version comes out then Samsung will need to answer that.

Pretty sure you guys are saying the same thing.

Sammy is copying HTC, and the timing of releases is close enough together to suggest Sammy may have a mole in HTC's shop because they always come out with just enough to best HTC by a little bit.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure you guys are saying the same thing.

Sammy is copying HTC, and the timing of releases is close enough together to suggest Sammy may have a mole in HTC's shop because they always come out with just enough to best HTC by a little bit.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Samsung always stuffs tech into their phones. The Galaxy S launched in 2010 with DLNA, BT3.0+HS, Wolfson DAC, Super AMOLED, Hummingbird SoC, 16/32 GB+SD slot, a bigger battery than HTC phones, Wifi N, and a superior camera sensor + FFC compared to HTC devices.

They always do this. Comparenitnside the Skyrocket to the vivid. The reason why Samsung was able to get away with a WVGA screen on their 2011 flagship was cause they stuff education tech into bite while HTC skipped in their phones (no NFC, small batteries, worse BT Specs, etc.).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung always stuffs tech into their phones. The Galaxy S launched in 2010 with DLNA, BT3.0+HS, Wolfson DAC, Super AMOLED, Hummingbird SoC, 16/32 GB+SD slot, a bigger battery than HTC phones, Wifi N, and a superior camera sensor + FFC compared to HTC devices.

They always do this. Comparenitnside the Skyrocket to the vivid. The reason why Samsung was able to get away with a WVGA screen on their 2011 flagship was cause they stuff education tech into bite while HTC skipped in their phones (no NFC, small batteries, worse BT Specs, etc.).

That Samsung keyboard has great auto correction. :p I kid.

Who pays attention to bluetooth specs? People just want it to work in their car and with headsets. That's all they care about.

Battery life isn't all about capacity....

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

daboy

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the HTC Aria and like it. I am up for renewal and I am going with the HTC One X. If it is anything like my Aria has been I will be more than happy with it. Just my .02

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Have to disagree there kevin.

In my opinion Samsung is doing more for android than Htc or any other android manufacturer could ever do. If we had to rely on them to grow the android user base it would get nowhere. Look in the Samsung forums alone, there are tons of ex-iphone users who have switched because of the gs3.
Every time I hear about “Google’s Vision” for android it just irks me. Developers don’t seem to be hindered by Samsung design choices. At least, I have not heard of any. They seem to be able to release mods and / or apps for Samsungs phones in the same timely fashions as for the other manufacturers’ phones. Samsung also makes it easier on developers by releasing their code for new products either before hand or soon after it goes on sale, and don’t have locked boot loaders. Something HTC doesn’t do.
Despite some people’s opinion on the importance of them, Samsung gives the people what they want. They want removable battery, extra storage etc etc. All the nonsense about marketing is folly and just sour grapes. Don’t know why it’s so hard for some people to get through their heads that some do like TW..Yes! There are people who prefer it like me! How boring would it be if every android phone had the same look and feel? I thought choice was what android was all about.
I and I would think many others HAVE held both in hand.
I and many others prefer the home button.
I and many others prefer TW.
I and many others prefer the look and feel of the GS3 over the HTC OneX. If some disagree maybe they haven’t held both in their hands.
Many involved in the tech industry disagree with the ruling handed down by that biased jury. All of the contributors on engadget who are accused of being apple lovers disagreed to some extend with it. And lookie here..so does THE WOZ http://www.androidcentral.com/woz-apple-v-samsung-patent-fights-i-hate-it

codejinchu

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I never had a HTC phone, I use the galaxy nexus (Samsung) but my experience with any phone is that when it freezes it helps that I can take the battery out to restart it. I remember once when my iPhone froze I had to wait till the battery die to reset it. Also HTC doesn't have the marketing as windows, Samsung, or apple to push it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
HTC has a feature that simulates battery pull. And a side note I've had mine from the release and its never frozen on me.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I never had a HTC phone, I use the galaxy nexus (Samsung) but my experience with any phone is that when it freezes it helps that I can take the battery out to restart it. I remember once when my iPhone froze I had to wait till the battery die to reset it. Also HTC doesn't have the marketing as windows, Samsung, or apple to push it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Hehe....instead of removing a battery we hold down the power button and that'll reset the phone. And as far as iphones go, hold down the power and home button resets the phone.

Give it a try on your nexus, maybe you'll find a what would be obvious way to reset your phone besides pulling the battery (to me at least).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have to disagree there kevin.

In my opinion Samsung is doing more for android than Htc or any other android manufacturer could ever do. If we had to rely on them to grow the android user base it would get nowhere. Look in the Samsung forums alone, there are tons of ex-iphone users who have switched because of the gs3.
Every time I hear about “Google’s Vision” for android it just irks me. Developers don’t seem to be hindered by Samsung design choices. At least, I have not heard of any. They seem to be able to release mods and / or apps for Samsungs phones in the same timely fashions as for the other manufacturers’ phones. Samsung also makes it easier on developers by releasing their code for new products either before hand or soon after it goes on sale, and don’t have locked boot loaders. Something HTC doesn’t do.
Despite some people’s opinion on the importance of them, Samsung gives the people what they want. They want removable battery, extra storage etc etc. All the nonsense about marketing is folly and just sour grapes. Don’t know why it’s so hard for some people to get through their heads that some do like TW..Yes! There are people who prefer it like me! How boring would it be if every android phone had the same look and feel? I thought choice was what android was all about.
I and I would think many others HAVE held both in hand.
I and many others prefer the home button.
I and many others prefer TW.
I and many others prefer the look and feel of the GS3 over the HTC OneX. If some disagree maybe they haven’t held both in their hands.
Many involved in the tech industry disagree with the ruling handed down by that biased jury. All of the contributors on engadget who are accused of being apple lovers disagreed to some extend with it. And lookie here..so does THE WOZ Woz on the Apple v Samsung patent fights: 'I hate it' | Android Central

We're not talking about the same thing then. I don't see this as a contest between iOS and Android (and really, we're talking about Touchwiz and Sense, not really Android). This threads original purpose was about why people don't like HTC (but yes, it can evolve and change topics if it stays somewhat relevant).

Of course developers aren't hindered by Samsung's design choices. Samsung kept things the way they were on Gingerbread. As a platform those choices DO hold Android back. How many apps don't properly adhere to the ICS/JB Holo theme with the proper buttons where they are supposed to be?

You also need to realize that app developers don't need kernel source released or unlocked bootloaders. Sounds like you're talking about ROM devs, which is a very low percentage of users.

So marketing doesn't matter? In what world is that actually true? If people don't know about your product, what it can do better than the competition, and why you should get it, then how will it sell? Marketing has a HUGE impact on sales and user base (why do you think people camp out for the next iPhone?).

I also have no problem with people liking Touchwiz. I didn't think it was terrible on the Galaxy S II, but it was horrendous on the original Galaxy S. Sense 2.X was pretty good and added useful features, but 3.X was so-so. Sense 4 is amazing, but the new Touchwiz looks exactly the same. Oh wait, they added some features. Great. Some of it is somewhat useful, some of it isn't. But if I don't want it I still don't have a choice to uninstall it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
1) It needs to be said. It's the direction things are going for Samsung. Follow the money, right?

Damn. If I said those same statements, I know of at lest four members on here that would have jumped all over me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We're not talking about the same thing then. I don't see this as a contest between iOS and Android (and really, we're talking about Touchwiz and Sense, not really Android). This threads original purpose was about why people don't like HTC (but yes, it can evolve and change topics if it stays somewhat relevant).

Of course developers aren't hindered by Samsung's design choices. Samsung kept things the way they were on Gingerbread. As a platform those choices DO hold Android back. How many apps don't properly adhere to the ICS/JB Holo theme with the proper buttons where they are supposed to be?

You also need to realize that app developers don't need kernel source released or unlocked bootloaders. Sounds like you're talking about ROM devs, which is a very low percentage of users.

So marketing doesn't matter? In what world is that actually true? If people don't know about your product, what it can do better than the competition, and why you should get it, then how will it sell? Marketing has a HUGE impact on sales and user base (why do you think people camp out for the next iPhone?).

I also have no problem with people liking Touchwiz. I didn't think it was terrible on the Galaxy S II, but it was horrendous on the original Galaxy S. Sense 2.X was pretty good and added useful features, but 3.X was so-so. Sense 4 is amazing, but the new Touchwiz looks exactly the same. Oh wait, they added some features. Great. Some of it is somewhat useful, some of it isn't. But if I don't want it I still don't have a choice to uninstall it.

Double-edge sword of Android's openness. Google can make recommendations but unless they start mandating more and more, these OEMs will do whatever they can get away with. I agree, TouchWiz is setting Android back.

ROM developers, unlocked bootloaders- in the real world, it's pretty irrelevant. I will concede though they're a VERY vocal minority. Whenever a new phone comes out and an article about that phone shipping with a locked bootloader, I start to roll my eyes. It's irrelevant to regular consumers.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is more than capacity but when you skip on capacity that's something you cannot overcome unless you limit your phone os in spectacular ways. Iphone gets great battery life with small capacity, but multitasking is limited for example.

BT spec matters to people who use BT file transfer cause 3.0+HS is like 10x faster than 2.1+EDR. Additionally for BT connected peep the higher specs are more battery efficient. AMOLED is more efficient than the LCD panels HTC was using.

This all adds up to substantial disparity on top of the capacity differences.

That updated BT mattered to these people. Whether they thought about it or not.

Additionally HTC was later than Samsung with DLNA, WIFI Direct, and NFC. Samsung phones also have had considerably superior codec support in addition to much better audio hardware (weak sound was common complaint of HTC devices, and why they invested in Beats).

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hehe....instead of removing a battery we hold down the power button and that'll reset the phone. And as far as iphones go, hold down the power and home button resets the phone.

Give it a try on your nexus, maybe you'll find a what would be obvious way to reset your phone besides pulling the battery (to me at least).

My ipod touch has frozen and like that user I had to wait til the battery died to reboot it. It happens. Nonremoveable batteries are ab showstopper in a phone. A pmp I can deal with it. A phone, absolutely not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie