Why don't people like HTC anymore?

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I like there phones and Sense. If they would roll out there updates quicker and make the same phone on every carrier. Not have each carrier with there own version. The Droid Incredible 2 which I have still doesn't have ICS it been a year come on already. The next phone I get will be a Nexus unless HTC does some major changes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I totally agree. Don't make different versions of the same phone for each of carrier. That cheapens it a little. And I said it before, quick updates would go a long way and get good word of mouth going. Start creating a good buzz with current customers and they will start talking!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. Don't make different versions of the same phone for each of carrier. That cheapens it a little. And I said it before, quick updates would go a long way and get good word of mouth going. Start creating a good buzz with current customers and they will start talking!

Here's the thing. At least in the US, the OEMs make phones for the carriers, not us. The carriers are the customer.

Only Apple has broken that - which paved the way for Samsung to do the same thing with the GS3.

HTC probably doesn't have the clout that Apple has, and now Samsung has, to say "this is what we're offering for your network, take it or leave it".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You have to remember that very few companies have the ability to make the carriers take the phone as designed without making any changes. Actually, there are only two; Apple and Samsung. HTC doesn't have the clout to do it. If they tried the carriers would probably tell them to get lost. Then where would that put them as a company?

Also, updates are as much on the carrier as they are on the manufacturer. Isn't the Dinc 2 basically the same phone as the Thunderbolt without LTE? If so, I doubt you'll see ICS. That would make it basically the same phone as the Desire HD/Inspire 4G/myTouch 4g.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
All these complaints about the phone, battery, storage, blah, blah blah. It's all nonsense. This is a fantastic phone and that stuff is a non issue. I do agree with the inspire being a pos, but the things I liked about it are all here, and the things I didn't are all gone. HTC has my support and I will continue to buy their products

Storage is a non-issue? I have nothing against HTC (why should I?), and I have heard that the HTC ONE X is a great device. But the lack of expandable storage is a deal breaker to me. That's why I have a Galaxy SIII, with 16 gb internal and a 64 gb micro sd card (deal of the day from Best Buy - $50). By the way, I have no loyalty to Samsung or any other major manufacturer of electronics. I am the consumer; I expect loyalty from them.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Kinnda off topic,but i was trynna access the forum a while ago and couldnt not knowing they where modifying it,so i thought i was being throttled and so i did a speed test.. silly me.. lol..

Sent from my super awe-esome Htc one x:)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347320510755.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347320510755.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 242

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
HTC tried to radically change their approach with the One series - simplify the phone lineup, make Sense much lighter, remove sd card and removable batteries. All of these were good decisions, coupled with the usual strengths of HTC design and solid materials. Unfortunately they failed at marketing this. And the sad fact is Android phones sell a lot based on specs. I've gone into many stores and see salesmen explaining specs of Android phones to prospective buyers. These same buyers have no clue what sd/ram/resolution means and simply go in to buy an iPhone or an Android. And then they are told this phone doesn't have feature X and get influenced.

HTC also had some really bad press with the multitasking issue on their phones. It was bad enough to hit the mainstream press. And they simply don't have the market presence or brand recognition Samsung does.

It's a bit sad to see HTC suffer so badly, they don't deserve this. The lack of success in international markets (where there are no carrier limitations like in the US) is also very puzzling.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC tried to radically change their approach with the One series - simplify the phone lineup, make Sense much lighter, remove sd card and removable batteries. All of these were good decisions, coupled with the usual strengths of HTC design and solid materials. Unfortunately they failed at marketing this. And the sad fact is Android phones sell a lot based on specs. I've gone into many stores and see salesmen explaining specs of Android phones to prospective buyers. These same buyers have no clue what sd/ram/resolution means and simply go in to buy an iPhone or an Android. And then they are told this phone doesn't have feature X and get influenced.

HTC also had some really bad press with the multitasking issue on their phones. It was bad enough to hit the mainstream press. And they simply don't have the market presence or brand recognition Samsung does.

It's a bit sad to see HTC suffer so badly, they don't deserve this. The lack of success in international markets (where there are no carrier limitations like in the US) is also very puzzling.

In all honesty, I though we were going to see less variants when HTC launched the One Series line, yet we still have the Desire line not to mention the EVO 4G LTE and DROID Incredible 4G LTE.

The only television ad I recall for the One series is the guy jumping out of a plane taking photos. There probably should have been more.

Who's winning internationally? Especially in China?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I loved HTC, I bought the TBolt the DAY it was released but Verizon ruined it with the lack of updates and then their CLN replacements just pissed me off to the point where I demanded Verizon give me an upgrade to the Rezound free of charge, which after a little b****ing on my part they reluctantly agreed. However with the Rezound they gave me the run around with updates and when the update was finally pushed out it didin't stick well. My Rezound would switch between 1x, 3G and 4G and then finally not be able to get a signal. Then it would do random reboots! I finally complained enough to Verizon to get them to send out a Razr instead! I love the Razr much more than any of my other HTC phones because the radios actually work, its innovative (amazingly thin and light unlike the Rezound which is like a fat kid) and then theres updates! The Razr has already been said to be receiving Jelly Bean sometime soon, now iI realize that could be months but its better late than never, its definitely something the Rezound will never officially see!

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, set your wifi to the 2.5 setting or the 5ghz setting depending on your router, when you have automatic on it jumps around, at least it works for me, set mine to 5ghz, never had a problem

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I personally prefer HTC. I went from a Pre to the OG Evo. Then an Epic 4g. Being new to android I had no idea about skins yet and differing UI. I lived Sense on the Evo and hated Touchwiz. If I wanted bright, cartoon like icons and UI I would have had an iphone. (don't get me wrong. I would never confuse the two)
I have since had 13 phones and the majority were HTC. They have quality hardware, beautiful screens and Sense fits me best

IsisBlue3619

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have connectivity problems and i get a little icon in the left hand corner with a wifi sign and an !???

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like when I turn off mobile i have a stronger wifi signal. what is up with that? Also, set mine to 2.5 and it connected but i have no signal now.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty, I though we were going to see less variants when HTC launched the One Series line, yet we still have the Desire line not to mention the EVO 4G LTE and DROID Incredible 4G LTE.

The only television ad I recall for the One series is the guy jumping out of a plane taking photos. There probably should have been more.

Who's winning internationally? Especially in China?

There have been less variants. Verizon ordered the Dinc 4G LTE that way, HTC really couldn't say no because they needed a new device on Verizon. Is the new Desire line even coming to the US? I still see this as less than last year, even if you take all international variants into account.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
There have been less variants. Verizon ordered the Dinc 4G LTE that way, HTC really couldn't say no because they needed a new device on Verizon. Is the new Desire line even coming to the US? I still see this as less than last year, even if you take all international variants into account.

It doesn't excuse that terribly annoying commercial. Or the quasi unnecessariness of the Incredible 4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
It's because the Thunderbolt was terrible, and they didn't have a blockbuster 2011 phone. They lost people's attention when they didn't have a real answer to the Galaxy S II.

Yep.
Galaxy S2 = hot girl
Galaxy S3 = hot girl with a awesome personality

Meanwhile in 2011

Htc = fat girl playing WOW at home

Sent from my SGS3!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yep.
Galaxy S2 = hot girl
Galaxy S3 = hot girl with a awesome personality

Meanwhile in 2011

Htc = fat girl playing WOW at home

Sent from my SGS3!

Galaxy S3 = hot girl with awesome personality and trapezoidal shaped mole on her stomach. Damn home button :p

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't excuse that terribly annoying commercial. Or the quasi unnecessariness of the Incredible 4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

That was already too far in for HTC to pull the plug. Remember the Merge? How much did HTC eat developing that just to have Verizon pull it last minute?

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Not if your like me and can't stand to be tied down to a non removable battery and non expandible storage I will never own a phone that won't be rooted it just isn't happening I like my custom roms and I will store a lot of them sometimes althoe rare I do have to do a battery pull but wait I can't do that with the one x or better yet 16 gigs?? Are you kidding me? I filled up a 16 gig card in a week

And yes I do support that argument they need to do like Samsung and apple release one version of the phone internationally same design same build differ ant internals to suite each carriers needs have one build for high medium and low its way cheaper on production design development why should they have 5 molds for 6 different carriers with different launches it just makes them over whealmed and quality goes to hell
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Last edited:

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
That was already too far in for HTC to pull the plug. Remember the Merge? How much did HTC eat developing that just to have Verizon pull it last minute?

Actually Verizon sold the HTC Merge. I remember looking at it when I got my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I love my HTC One X.. sometimes i find myself holding it more than my GS3. i really don't care about the whole removable battery, most of my data is in the cloud (Music, Videos, Files) the only thing my storage is good for is doing Nandroids..

You people got to remember these forums only adds up about 0.02% of the HTC One X population.. yes some One X's have problems.. but mines is fine.. not a single issue.
The everyday user don't even know what Jellybean is.. let alone ICS.. so i highly doubt thats a problem. the every day user just cares if their phone lag and how good the sound is.

I think people dislike HTC because they released waaaaaaay toooo many phones in 2010/2011.. and your only as good as your last product. so HTC Screwed up when they tried to be like Samsung and release testers in the wild.

Other than that How many Samsung or other phones can you name that is two years old and still almost brand new with minor wear and tear? my HTC Inspire is still perfect.. HTC makes great quality phones, some people still using their EVOs..