Why don't people like HTC anymore?

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I love my HTC One X.. sometimes i find myself holding it more than my GS3. i really don't care about the whole removable battery, most of my data is in the cloud (Music, Videos, Files) the only thing my storage is good for is doing Nandroids..

You people got to remember these forums only adds up about 0.02% of the HTC One X population.. yes some One X's have problems.. but mines is fine.. not a single issue.
The everyday user don't even know what Jellybean is.. let alone ICS.. so i highly doubt thats a problem. the every day user just cares if their phone lag and how good the sound is.

I think people dislike HTC because they released waaaaaaay toooo many phones in 2010/2011.. and your only as good as your last product. so HTC Screwed up when they tried to be like Samsung and release testers in the wild.

Other than that How many Samsung or other phones can you name that is two years old and still almost brand new with minor wear and tear? my HTC Inspire is still perfect.. HTC makes great quality phones, some people still using their EVOs..

Exactly. I love HTC's build quality.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Must be just my iPhone(s) that only reboot that way.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Nope. It works normally, but happens and when it does not being able to remove the battery to force a reboot is a huge hassle. That happens in the middle of a work day in a device you use for work, and it destroys your productivity.

The benefits are not worth the risk.

Heavy users like being able to swap batteries, anyways, for all day heavy use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Have to disagree there kevin.

In my opinion Samsung is doing more for android than Htc or any other android manufacturer could ever do. If we had to rely on them to grow the android user base it would get nowhere. Look in the Samsung forums alone, there are tons of ex-iphone users who have switched because of the gs3.
Every time I hear about ?Google?s Vision? for android it just irks me. Developers don?t seem to be hindered by Samsung design choices. At least, I have not heard of any. They seem to be able to release mods and / or apps for Samsungs phones in the same timely fashions as for the other manufacturers? phones. Samsung also makes it easier on developers by releasing their code for new products either before hand or soon after it goes on sale, and don?t have locked boot loaders. Something HTC doesn?t do.
Despite some people?s opinion on the importance of them, Samsung gives the people what they want. They want removable battery, extra storage etc etc. All the nonsense about marketing is folly and just sour grapes. Don?t know why it?s so hard for some people to get through their heads that some do like TW..Yes! There are people who prefer it like me! How boring would it be if every android phone had the same look and feel? I thought choice was what android was all about.
I and I would think many others HAVE held both in hand.
I and many others prefer the home button.
I and many others prefer TW.
I and many others prefer the look and feel of the GS3 over the HTC OneX. If some disagree maybe they haven?t held both in their hands.
Many involved in the tech industry disagree with the ruling handed down by that biased jury. All of the contributors on engadget who are accused of being apple lovers disagreed to some extend with it. And lookie here..so does THE WOZ http://www.androidcentral.com/woz-apple-v-samsung-patent-fights-i-hate-it

I have held both in my hand. I own both phones. I almost never use my GS3. The One X is a nicer phone. That's just my opinion, but I don't like your implication that anyone would prefer the GS3 after comparing both devices.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Must be just my iPhone(s) that only reboot that way.

There should be a button combination to do a reboot on an iPhone. I've done it before but can't recall the exact combination.

For the DROID RAZR, it's power + volume down for about ten seconds.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
There should be a button combination to do a reboot on an iPhone. I've done it before but can't recall the exact combination.

For the DROID RAZR, it's power + volume down for about ten seconds.

Just verified and you hold the sleep/wake button + home button for at least 10 seconds. Have it cycle through to the Apple logo and it has reset. Same procedure ever since the ipod

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is more than capacity but when you skip on capacity that's something you cannot overcome unless you limit your phone os in spectacular ways. Iphone gets great battery life with small capacity, but multitasking is limited for example.

BT spec matters to people who use BT file transfer cause 3.0+HS is like 10x faster than 2.1+EDR. Additionally for BT connected peep the higher specs are more battery efficient. AMOLED is more efficient than the LCD panels HTC was using.

This all adds up to substantial disparity on top of the capacity differences.

That updated BT mattered to these people. Whether they thought about it or not.

Additionally HTC was later than Samsung with DLNA, WIFI Direct, and NFC. Samsung phones also have had considerably superior codec support in addition to much better audio hardware (weak sound was common complaint of HTC devices, and why they invested in Beats).

My One X gets great battery life with substantially tweaked multi-tasking (it works good now).

I don't use BT for file transfer (and I'm not sure that a great many people do on a regular basis), and if I did it might be for contacts, but I have NFC with wifi direct for that (talking about NOW, not in the past). The Vivid does have BT3.0, but I'm not sure about the enhanced data rate. Yes, newer BT specs do save power (I never turn off BT on my One X). To your point about it mattering to people, whether they thought about it is the issue we're discussing. If they didn't think about it, then the feature doesn't factor into the buying decision. How many people went "well, phone XXXX doesn't have BT3.0 so I'm not going to get it"?

AMOLED has never been more efficient than any LCD displaying a white background (like what 98% of webpages use as a background color), so the only time you're seeing the efficiency take effect is when you have a black background, which isn't when you're browsing the web. Mostly when using Touchwiz apps and anything else with a dark theme.

Beats has nothing to do with fixing "weak sound". Samsung had superior sound because of Wolfson DAC's, but those weren't present in the Galaxy S II, so that argument also works AGAINST Samsung in this case. HTC never had crap sound, though. The S2 had a widely reported issue with noise in the signal coming out of the headphone jack. You could hear the CPU doing it's job (something I noticed when I had mine). The Infuse, OTOH, with a kernel that supported Voodoo sound was absolutely amazing. I'm actually glad Samsung went back to that.

I don't hate Samsung, or HTC, or Motorola, or Nokia, or any other company. I judge based on the products I can go and buy today, what they can do TODAY, and it will do what I want it to. I don't go based on what it MIGHT get in the FUTURE (the only time I'd do that is if I got a Nexus). I know that when I get a phone I might not ever see an update, so expecting one is unrealistic. There's no guarantee that any phone (other than the Nexus line in most cases) will see software updates. I expect a great many people do the same thing. They walk in to a store, company phone A with phone B and then decide which one they like better. They probably don't say "well, this phone doesn't do this but they'll probably add it with a software update".

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. It works normally, but happens and when it does not being able to remove the battery to force a reboot is a huge hassle. That happens in the middle of a work day in a device you use for work, and it destroys your productivity.

The benefits are not worth the risk.

Heavy users like being able to swap batteries, anyways, for all day heavy use.

At least if they can't plug it in somewhere. The reality is that if someone likes a device enough they will work around the negatives. This is true of anything, not just phones. And, we're not talking about the original EVO 4G and it's 4-5 hour standby battery life. :p We're talking about phones that can make it through a day of moderate use, and most of a day of heavy use (I've made it 15 hours with ~2.5-3 hours screen on time many times, streaming Pandora and such).

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Because they did 2 stupid things:

1) They signed exclusives with AT&T (One X) and T-Mobile (One S). This was a CRITICAL error. Samsung on the other hand worked with all nationwide carriers here in the states, and even several regional ones, to get the SAME phone out to all of them. Yes, Sprint then got the Evo 4G LTE and Verizon the Droid Incredible 4G LTE, but then what was the point of coming up with the One series?!! If they had released the One X AND One S on all carriers, with removable storage like the Evo 4G LTE, then this would be a whole different ballgame right now.

2) They then let the carriers cripple the phone compared to the GS3 competition. It's bad enough that the GS3 has removable storage and the HOX doesn't, but HTC allowed AT&T to cut the storage from 32GB on the international version to 16GB stateside. The version of the One S with all of the marketing hoopla was the black (ceramic-metallic) one, so which version is the only one T-Mobile wants to sell? That's right: the blue(ish) painted one. Once again: 16GB storage, no removable storage. HTC seems to have an "if we build it they will come" philosophy...but that only works when you build something clearly superior. They can't wow in one area (screen, build quality, camera) only to let their customers down in others (multitasking, no removable storage or battery, less RAM). This is especially true when you have competitors that you only slightly best with your strong suits, but they clearly best you in your weak areas like the GS3 does to the One X.

HTC needs to do what Samsung did and release the same phone on every carrier. Not sign exclusives with each carrier. Also stand up to the carriers with your updates it shouldn't take a year to get ICS on a phone. They make good phones and are losing money because of the dumb things mentioned above.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
HTC needs to do what Samsung did and release the same phone on every carrier. Not sign exclusives with each carrier. Also stand up to the carriers with your updates it shouldn't take a year to get ICS on a phone. They make good phones and are losing money because of the dumb things mentioned above.

They didn't have that option. After such a weak 2011, they didn't have any negotiating power at all.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah htc is not bargaining from any position other than on their knees begging.

They need the note and whatever their super phone is that is coming out soon to be world beaters. I actually think it was a smart move for them to announce after apple. Especially since they knew going in that it was pretty weak

Sent from my thumbs with no brain censorship

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
They didn't have that option. After such a weak 2011, they didn't have any negotiating power at all.

They need to get in they postion. I bet if they could build the next Nexus with the same build quality as the One X they would be going somewhere.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
They need to get in they postion. I bet if they could build the next Nexus with the same build quality as the One X they would be going somewhere.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Yes, I'm sure they'd love to be in that position. Trouble is, that's kind of like telling a sick person that they just need to simply get well. I have no doubt that they'd love to build the next Nexus, if Google offered them the contract.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure they'd love to be in that position. Trouble is, that's kind of like telling a sick person that they just need to simply get well. I have no doubt that they'd love to build the next Nexus, if Google offered them the contract.

That's what I've been saying all along!!! They launched android they launched the nexus they laid down the OEM groundwork and for Google to turn a blind eye is shameful!!! HTC isn't perfect but if it weren't for the HTC dream and nexus 1 I guarantee you we wouldn't have half of this again Google do what's rite help them as they have helped
You!!
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
That's what I've been saying all along!!! They launched android they launched the nexus they laid down the OEM groundwork and for Google to turn a blind eye is shameful!!! HTC isn't perfect but if it weren't for the HTC dream and nexus 1 I guarantee you we wouldn't have half of this again Google do what's rite help them as they have helped
You!!

HTC built the Nexus One which launched Android to what it is today. If I was Google I would let them build it.

ba4g

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I dont know,their a great manufacturer. I read this one review that was completly trying to chew on htc for releasing the one x. It said " the one x is an awsome phone,but is it too much too soon from a company thats only about a decade old.?" Like,dude.. their one of the top dogs,what does their age have to do with anything.? I research any phone before i get. Once i read that i knew i was gettin' the one x. Their are alot of htc haters,but htc is a great company. No matter what any one says,htc is my favorite smartphone maker. W/ samsung in second and moto in third lol.

Sent from my super awe-esome Htc one x:)

I've got the Thunderbolt, not a problem in a year. When I bought this phone it felt solid and in my opinion, better build quality than Samsung. I'd buy another HTC any day.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
1. S off bs. 2. My vivid probably won't see jelly bean and my flyer got cut off at honeycomb. 3. My vivid is so locked down aosp isn't possible. 4. Sense is so intrusive my vivid looks like it has gingerbread not ics. Nuff said

Sent from my locked down carrier phone piece of crap HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
1. S off bs. 2. My vivid probably won't see jelly bean and my flyer got cut off at honeycomb. 3. My vivid is so locked down aosp isn't possible. 4. Sense is so intrusive my vivid looks like it has gingerbread not ics. Nuff said

Sent from my locked down carrier phone piece of crap HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

And who forced you to buy your locked-down Vivid?

---------- Post Merged at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:03 PM ----------

You!!

The groundwork was laid before Google even bought Android. Google doesn't owe HTC anything.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You know what I wanna know? Why does it matter why I bought my vivid? I bought it because I had my upgrade and it had specs that bested my captivate and I wanted to try out htc since I had like 4 Samsung phones in a row. How was I supposed to know it was locked down like that? Further more the OP asked a question and I answered it. To those who still like HTC more power too you, I got nothing against you, but I don't appreciate seeing my post quoted with some sarcastic self righteous remark.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Come on Cormaster, grow a skin. This is the Internet.

Everybody's phone choice is a compromise based on what was available at a specific point in time.

Given a choice we would all choose the phone coming out NEXT year, as long as we could have it tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2