Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why don't nomedia files work?

    I have folders that i want to exclude from the Gallery, music app, etc.... For example wallpapers and podcasts.

    I put ". nomedia" files in those folders, but they seem to be ignored. Might I be doing something wrong or do these not work on this phone?

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  2. #2  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    Quote Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post
    I have folders that i want to exclude from the Gallery, music app, etc.... For example wallpapers and podcasts.

    I put ". nomedia" files in those folders, but they seem to be ignored. Might I be doing something wrong or do these not work on this phone?

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Did you reboot your device?

    Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    I cleared the cache for the HTC media service and rebooted, yes.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    .nomedia seems to work for me.

    I've got a ton of podcasts store in my PocketCast directory and they don't show up in any music player.

    Your best bet is to copy a .nomedia file from someplace using a file manager.
    It is supposed to be a zero length file with a name of exactly .nomedia

    (I notice you have a period followed by a space followed by nomedia. Maybe you did the same thing when creating the files?).

    Also Dmmarck might be onto something, as there is usually a forced media scan at boot up.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    Yes that's exactly what I did to create them. I also tried disabling fast boot and restarting again.

    It is definitely re scanning the folders, because when I open Gallery after a reboot, it appears empty for about 5 seconds, then shows the same files again.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    One other thing, if a folder is specifically on the list of folders that an app is supposed to scan, it will be ignored.
    Some apps have settings that control where they should look for files.
    And some apps just ignore the no media files.
    Nomedia is a request, not an absolute prohibition.



    Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    One other thing, if a folder is specifically on the list of folders that an app is supposed to scan, it will be ignored.
    Some apps have settings that control where they should look for files.
    And some apps just ignore the no media files.
    Nomedia is a request, not an absolute prohibition.



    Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2
    Okay. The files I'm trying to nomedia are in /downloads and /pocketcasts

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    Wow. I have a ton of image files in downloads and a few mp3 files as well, and none of these show up in the gallery, or the music player, and get this: there isn't a nomedia file in downloads or /Download or /pictures.

    I have many ringtones in my /ringtones directory, and they don't show up in the music player. No nomedia file in there either.

    My PocketCasts folder does have nomedia files.

    So i have no clue why you are seeing these files in your apps.
    Are you running stock?

    Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Wow. I have a ton of image files in downloads and a few mp3 files as well, and none of these show up in the gallery, or the music player, and get this: there isn't a nomedia file in downloads or /Download or /pictures.

    I have many ringtones in my /ringtones directory, and they don't show up in the music player. No nomedia file in there either.

    My PocketCasts folder does have nomedia files.

    So i have no clue why you are seeing these files in your apps.
    Are you running stock?

    Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2
    Stock OS, e.g. the latest version of Sense on the HOX.

    The Google Play Music app also ignores .nomedia files - it picks up the podcasts in my /Pocketcasts folder, even though there's a .nomedia file there.

    This is all very frustrating. Could there be a setting i've missed somewhere?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    I have the exact same problem. It seems to work for a while, and all of the sudden stopped working. It's the same folder (Pocketcasts) I'm having issue with as well.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    Not seeing this problem here.
    Your pocketcast folder and and the podcast folder below that as well (where the actual mp3 files sre stored) should both contain the .nomedia files.
    That is the default and works for me.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    Just joined to say that I have the same problem. After installing PocketCasts I started seeing the podcast files in Play Music, so I searched around for a solution and found this `.nomedia` thing. Then I plugged my phone into my PC to try creating those files, only to find that they are placed by default already into the PocketCast directory and its subdirectories. So that was no help.

    HTC One X on Rogers with no modifications to OS.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Why don't nomedia files work?

    .nomedia files are blank files - they 're simply used to trick regular music player apps into not including podcast or audiobook files - but as it turns out they can cause big problems for people unaware of these developer tricks!

    I recently learned, through a developer of audiobook player apps, that audiobook player apps CREATE the .nomedia file at the moment the app is directed to the folder that contains the audiobooks - this way these "long playing files" won't show up later on in your regular music playing app (by design). This means that if you direct the audiobook player app to a folder with regular music (by mistake), those folders will get a .nomedia file inserted and not subsequently be playable in regular music playing apps - although you can still play them in the audiobooks playing app. There are apps designed to manage these .nomedia files (such as StudioKUMA) that you should investigate if you use an audioplayer/podcast player app and you suddenly noticed your music isn't appearing in your regular music playing apps. You could also plug your android into your PC to delete the .nomedia files directly, located in the folders that contain the music that isn't showing up in your regular music playing apps.

Similar Threads

  1. Gallery apps and nomedia file
    By MikeB in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM
  2. .nomedia not working for audio files
    By djmedic913 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
  3. Why don't some apps quit?
    By Eazy123 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
  4. Why Don't The Phone Companies Take Advantage of This?
    By Fazulka in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
  5. Droid: Why don't my notifications make noise anymore?
    By solideliquid in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 12:50 AM

Posting Permissions

B