Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lumia 920

Anyone tempted by the Lumia? I haven't seen anything interesting from Android manufacturers coming and I definitely don't want an iPhone. I've got an upgrade coming and thought about trying it out.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,905 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Lumia 920

Looks like nice hardware. Need to give the OS time to mature, though.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

ROM
    Stock

Like previous post said,nice hardware. The os doesnt look too appealing.

Sent from my super awe-esome Htc one x(:

I honestly think it looks pretty enticing as well. I'm a dev, and the integration of .NET development for those phones and Win8 seems like a nice win to me, too. I'm going to get one to develop for it and decide if the OS is where I'd like it to be before I decide to swap the SIM out of my HOX, though. I really like Android, and it has made great strides, but I'm also willing to try something new. I'll just have to see for myself what I think about the WP8 OS.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    I honestly think it looks pretty enticing as well. I'm a dev, and the integration of .NET development for those phones and Win8 seems like a nice win to me, too. I'm going to get one to develop for it and decide if the OS is where I'd like it to be before I decide to swap the SIM out of my HOX, though. I really like Android, and it has made great strides, but I'm also willing to try something new. I'll just have to see for myself what I think about the WP8 OS.
    This is what I'm looking at but from a customer standpoint. I've grown a bit bored with Android and am curious about Windows8. I've got an upgrade in Oct but there hasn't been anything else I would consider buying. And if I don't like it I can return it and get my upgrade back.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,905 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The OS has a lot of potential. It really does. I just want to see if they keep adding features at a quick pace like they have been. I use Zune, and I could easily switch over to their mail service and skydrive.

I also want to see what kind of apps people come up with to take advantage of some of the "unique" features like tiles (I bet they'll treat them like widgets).

I probably won't switch, but I do want to try it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I got my partner a windows phone recently and I was actually impressed by the ease of use. The only thing that at the moment gets me is the lack of big name apps but I'm sure that it will be different once the new OS is out.

Quote Originally Posted by rnich120 View Post
    I got my partner a windows phone recently and I was actually impressed by the ease of use. The only thing that at the moment gets me is the lack of big name apps but I'm sure that it will be different once the new OS is out.
    Touche! It's the apps thats holding it back. I own a Lumia 800 and it impressed me immensely. I am getting a 920 just as soon as it becomes available.
    prissysox likes this.

It's mainly the apps ecosystem that's holding me back. But to be fair, it's what was holding people back from Android for a while, too. It's part of the reason why I'm getting it for development. Like I said, I may end up liking it more and using it as a daily, but it does seem to be missing some of my daily use apps, so it probably won't happen right away. I'm still quite happy with my HOX, too, so it'll be rough getting this out of my hands. We'll really see in November-ish when I get my hands on one and testing it out.

Yes I am tempted too. I had the Lumia before this phone. Two favorite things that I loved were the people hub and the ease on that phone to be able to read a text and reply all using voice built right in. I have yet to find an android app that works as well. I also very much like the styling on the phone. What caused me to return it was the poor camera, the display and it drove me crazy that text didn't wrap when you tapped it to make it large enough to read on the Internet. I also have a lot of music in Android, though there was an app for converting it. I also missed words with friends, I wonder if windows has that yet? Can't wait to see what changes there are with Windows 8 and the new Lumia.

The screen on the 920 is going to be AMAZING (or suppose to, YOU CAN USE IT WHILE WEARING GLOVES), and the camera is using Nokia's PureView tech, which is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Android, or any other phone for that matter, has. Also, Gooroovster came out for Windows phone. It's suppose to give you access to your Google Play Music stuff (I've been looking into it). Can't speak for the rest, mind you, but I can on all of that...

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

My opinion of the OS comes from owning and using a samsung focus for 2 years. The OS was fairly snappy on outdated hardware. However, most of the apps weren't as further along as iOS or Google apps.

Take for instance Yelp. The Yelp app on windows phone is well behind the Google version of Yelp. Chances are, if a big app exists, then it will be severely limited when compared to the iOS or Google version. If you don't mind having a severely limited app cache as well as low customization, then this phone is pretty decent.

I just got the HOX and am pleased with Google's implementation for Android. Suffice to say, I won't go back to windows phone and probably won't consider it after my contract is up again. I like this phone.
    I came to an Android HTC One X from the WP7 Samsung Focus, and I have no regrets!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

I had a lumia 900 while also having a one x and I cannot go back to a windows device. Sure to liked it bit I felt it to limited for me. I prefer android. I'm one of those people who root and flash like there is no tomorrow though. It may be for you. I just can't ditch android for it. I can however use it as my work phone maybe (the windows phone) lol

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

titan for business and one x for personal. love them both and will continue to use both. pros and cons to both phones. titan is phone and messaging where as one x is entertainment

People saying apps aren't as good as Android or iOS, one thing for sure is that Skype will be amazing... Microsoft have probably built the OS around Skype... Also Office apps should give Pages/Keynote/Numbers good competition... I would say things look good for Nokia and Windows 8

Maybe next time, I do love the N9 when it was first out. It was gorgeous.

Now, I dislike apple most, Microsoft less, google the third. So I will stay with google for the next two years and see how the market goes.

I think if I were to consider a Windows Phone the HTC 8 X looks pretty sharp.

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Iamdunne View Post
    I think if I were to consider a Windows Phone the HTC 8 X looks pretty sharp.

Well the Lumia's camera blows the 8X out of the water and with both of them having NO SD Card slot the Lumia 920 coming with twice the storage (32GB) is clearly superior. The Lumia also has a bigger battery and superior screen.

Really unless having the thinnest/lightest phone is your highest priority the Lumia is clearly superior - ESPECIALLY when you add in Nokia's exclusive apps which will not be available for other manufacturers' devices (Drive, Traffic, Music, City Lens, and their Camera Software will be souped up with tech they got from Scalado, among other things).

That is all something to consider because earlier today when I was going to a Cave tour and we lost absolutely all reception on AT&T Google Maps became 100% useless when it had to reroute, and Bing Maps would be no different. And since the cage is pretty much all low light for the most part, the Lumia's camera would have been superior to anything else on a smartphone. If I go back to Windows Phone, the 920 will be the only choice. And I'll ETF and switch carriers for it. It will be that good compared to what HTC and Samsung has coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by prissysox View Post
    Anyone tempted by the Lumia? I haven't seen anything interesting from Android manufacturers coming and I definitely don't want an iPhone. I've got an upgrade coming and thought about trying it out.

It's a little bit thick and heavy for my tastes. I'd prefer my One X/S3 as a daily driver. I'll probably end up buying one play with, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter View Post
    Well the Lumia's camera blows the 8X out of the water and with both of them having NO SD Card slot the Lumia 920 coming with twice the storage (32GB) is clearly superior. The Lumia also has a bigger battery and superior screen.

Really unless having the thinnest/lightest phone is your highest priority the Lumia is clearly superior - ESPECIALLY when you add in Nokia's exclusive apps which will not be available for other manufacturers' devices (Drive, Traffic, Music, City Lens, and their Camera Software will be souped up with tech they got from Scalado, among other things).

That is all something to consider because earlier today when I was going to a Cave tour and we lost absolutely all reception on AT&T Google Maps became 100% useless when it had to reroute, and Bing Maps would be no different. And since the cage is pretty much all low light for the most part, the Lumia's camera would have been superior to anything else on a smartphone. If I go back to Windows Phone, the 920 will be the only choice. And I'll ETF and switch carriers for it. It will be that good compared to what HTC and Samsung has coming out.
    The international One X is 32 GB. And the One X plus will have 32 GB and a snapdragon S4pro which is twice as powerful as the CPU in the lumia. Even more unfortunate for Nokia, the One X plus is likely to drop in October, before the Lumia.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

I had the Dell venue pro WP7 and the OS was amazing. Butter fast like IOS, and not many bugs at all. Only thing it was lacking on for me was apps. Other then that it was amazing and I loved the live tiles. Right now I'm loving my one x and waiting for jelly bean, but who knows maybe next year I might or might not ot switch all depends on how ios/windows mobile and android are doing. I'll wait for when I'm illegible for an upgrade then so my research :-P

But right now the One X with ICS 4.0.4 is the winner for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    The international One X is 32 GB. And the One X plus will have 32 GB and a snapdragon S4pro which is twice as powerful as the CPU in the lumia. Even more unfortunate for Nokia, the One X plus is likely to drop in October, before the Lumia.

Everything I have read says that the One X Plus will have an upgraded Tegra 3...not the S4 Pro.

---------- Post Merged at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter View Post

All this is complete speculation. Please don't argue this as fact. Wait until reviews start coming in.

Default Lumia 920

Quote Originally Posted by prissysox View Post

I thought about it but went with the iPhone 5 and I couldn't be happier with the decision.
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post

Most people in the US buy smartphones on contract, that means One X on AT&T here. Even then, the International One X is missing LTE on AT&T so it's a non-starter for a ton of people now that AT&T has started rolling out LTE at a decent pace. That means 16GB storage as well. I wouldn't buy anything like an Unlocked Nexus or International device because of the lack of LTE on AT&T.

So the Lumia will still launch with 32GB storage, and people like me won't be at the mercy of AT&T or Verizon (or whoever) for whether or not they can get 25GB+ cloud storage "for two years" (25GB SkyDrive for life :-) ). It'll still have a better screen. It'll still have a better camera unless HTC pulls off a miracle before then. And really "twice as powerful CPU" probably means something to you as an Android user but WP7 had no issues performing great on S2 chips so that's a pretty useless spec to rave about when comparing these two operating systems. We all see how WP7.5 runs on S2 processors, while Android lagged and stuttered all over the place on the same hardware (even had updates to phones cancelled because of performance issues, etc.).

I have a Dell venue pro for work. It's actually a great phone too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast