Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pjniez
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Navigation default app selection?

Hi,

Everytime I select a location in Maps and choose Navigation to get turn-by-turn direction, HTC ONE X (AT&T version running latest OTA 4.0.4 ICS stock ROM) asks me to choose between "Navigation" (i.e. Google's Navigation App) and AT&T Navigation app. There is also a check mark that basically says "remember your selection". Problem is that I always choose Navigation and check that check mark but it still asks me the same choice every time.

Is AT&T really getting into people's face with their own paid navigation app that it won't let you remember your navigation app preference?

Osho

Default Re: Navigation default app selection?

Quote Originally Posted by oshogg View Post
    Hi,

Everytime I select a location in Maps and choose Navigation to get turn-by-turn direction, HTC ONE X (AT&T version running latest OTA 4.0.4 ICS stock ROM) asks me to choose between "Navigation" (i.e. Google's Navigation App) and AT&T Navigation app. There is also a check mark that basically says "remember your selection". Problem is that I always choose Navigation and check that check mark but it still asks me the same choice every time.

Is AT&T really getting into people's face with their own paid navigation app that it won't let you remember your navigation app preference?

Osho
    I have the same thing happen and find it annoying too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Are you able to disable the AT&T navigation app?

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Are you able to disable the AT&T navigation app?
    No, there is no way of doing this without rooting.

Osho

It's the same with the browser. I keep trying to make Dolphin the default app and each time I open it I get the prompt again. Check in Settings and, sure enough, it's not the default browser. It's like they WANT me to root my phone. Hope they figure out a way to root 4.0.4 soon. I'd probably forego JB for a while if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdj79 View Post
    It's the same with the browser. I keep trying to make Dolphin the default app and each time I open it I get the prompt again. Check in Settings and, sure enough, it's not the default browser. It's like they WANT me to root my phone. Hope they figure out a way to root 4.0.4 soon. I'd probably forego JB for a while if that happened.

Are you sure about this inability to set a default browser?

This seems wrong that you have this problem but nobody else does.

Let me ask how many browsers do you have installed?

You do realize that each time s browser gets installed OR upgraded that you have to select your default all over again right?

Three or four browsers installed, all set to automatically update, might leave you with the impression your default is not sticking.

That is because Google figures if you install it you MAY want to set it as the default.

Set a default the first time it asks, then close the browser and immediately click the link that triggered the choice again and assure yourself that it works.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Blame this on HTC. I have the Verizon Thunderbolt, same thing happens with me, my choices are Navigation and Verizon Navigation. Still on gingerbread os.

Can't you disable the carrier app in Settings/Manage Apps?

I have posted this before too but on my previous android phones I could choose to always show pictures from a certain email address and without this phone don't have that. I have to hit "display images" each and every time.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerRef12 View Post
    Can't you disable the carrier app in Settings/Manage Apps?
    Nope, not with AT&T. There is no way to disable/remove carrier apps. This is so f**ing annoying.

Osho

In settings there is an app association tab at least there is on my evo lte change it in there see if it helps.

You could give this a try, it worked on my One X for changing from HTC locations to Google Maps Navigation:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tw.kenshinn.htccalendarfilter

what I want is a way to launch my telenav and amazon mp3 using the voice commands!

wtf google.

Quote Originally Posted by gerardv514 View Post
    Blame this on HTC. I have the Verizon Thunderbolt, same thing happens with me, my choices are Navigation and Verizon Navigation. Still on gingerbread os.
    Yes blame HTC for Verizon putting bloatware on your phone. Unreal! This is how manufacturers get unfair bad raps. HTC isn't shoving Verizon Navigation down your throat. Verizon is. Make sure you blame the right company next time.

Are you sure about this inability to set a default browser?

This seems wrong that you have this problem but nobody else does.

Let me ask how many browsers do you have installed?

You do realize that each time s browser gets installed OR upgraded that you have to select your default all over again right?

Three or four browsers installed, all set to automatically update, might leave you with the impression your default is not sticking.

That is because Google figures if you install it you MAY want to set it as the default.

Set a default the first time it asks, then close the browser and immediately click the link that triggered the choice again and assure yourself that it works.

Thanks for talking to me like I'm a child instead of actually being helpful. I have only installed Dolphin, but the default remains the HTC browser. Even tried installing Chrome and still the HTC browser remains the default.

Easy to fix...
    Get the app from Play "Select Other Map"

1) Install it (no app icon will appear, don't worry about that)
    2) First time something goes to get maps it will launch instead of any map program, and ask what map program you would like to use.
    3) Tick the remember this choice button and pick google maps.
    4) Profit

Easy eh?
    Well, it works on my version of the One X anyway.

....And if this doesn't fix it, the other solution is for everyone to put in a fault/repair request to your carrier or HTC. In my opinion that is a design fault/software fault, and needs to be fixed under warranty as the device does not function as it should. Say if they don't fix it you want a refund, which you are entitled to.
    Think about it, there is a check box that says "remember selection". and it doesn't, so it needs to be fixed. It's broken.

It is the same as if I purchase a TV and there is a button that says "A/V Select" and it does not let you change the input selection.
    Or you have a TV, and every time you turn it on you have to rescan for all the channels as it doesn't remember them.
    If either of these two things happened, you would take the TV back to the store as it is faulty. A mechanical fault is the same as a software fault - The product either works or it doesn't.

If AT&T have screwed around with HTC's software and broken it, then AT&T are liable for the repair. If they wont do it, then you can have HTC fix it. (see the warranty in the box it has their name on it) It's up to HTC to pressure AT&T to stop breaking their phones not you. HTC would have to fix under warranty ie re flash with software that is not faulty... of if they cant, refund you.

Yeah this is a rant. I'm getting sick of this BS with products and companies telling people "sorry, nothing we can do, its someone else's fault"

Quote Originally Posted by Only1Z View Post
    Yes blame HTC for Verizon putting bloatware on your phone. Unreal! This is how manufacturers get unfair bad raps. HTC isn't shoving Verizon Navigation down your throat. Verizon is. Make sure you blame the right company next time.
    Actually, it is HTC if the same issue is happening across 2 different carriers. Please note that the OP has AT&T, so is it that the option to remember to use Google Navigation a problem both with AT&T & Verizon's? No, it comes down to a bug in HTC's software, I've had this phone since it came out, and it wasn't until the recent software release where this issue started occurring. Don't be so quick to jump down people's throats, jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by oshogg View Post
    Nope, not with AT&T. There is no way to disable/remove carrier apps. This is so f**ing annoying.
    Osho
    Yes, you can disable apps on the One X - even some of the AT&T ones. I have a One X and was able to disable the AT&T Navigator app. Now I don't get promoted to choose which app to use for navigation and out goes right to Google Navigation.

To disable an app:
    1) Go to Settings, Apps, and click on the All tab on the far right
    2) Then scroll down until you find the AT&T Navigator app and click on it
    2.5) If you've updated the app, you will see an Uninstall button. Click the Uninstall button to uninstall the updates (Thanks natrixgli! )
    3) Then click on the Disable button

That's it!

After this, you won't be prompted to choose which app to use and it should go right into Google Navigation. Two other nice benefits of this is that you won't see the app in the App Drawer AND you won't be notified to upgrade it by the Google App store when a new update is released. I disabled all of the crapware that I could on the One X seems to run better now.
    Last edited by pjniez; 09-19-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    Thanked by 4:
    irishman06 and Whosurdaddy like this.

You can disable AT&T nav, you just have to uninstall updates first. After you do that, the disable button will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by pjniez View Post
    Yes, you can disable apps on the One X - even some of the AT&T ones. I have a One X and was able to disable the AT&T Navigator app. Now I don't get promoted to choose which app to use for navigation and out goes right to Google Navigation.

To disable an app:
    1) Go to Settings, Apps, and click on the All tab on the far right
    2) Then scroll down until you find the AT&T Navigator app and click on it
    3) Then click on the Disable button

That's it!

After this, you won't be prompted to choose which app to use and it should go right into Google Navigation. Two other nice benefits of this is that you won't see the app in the App Drawer AND you won't be notified to upgrade it by the Google App store when a new update is released. I disabled all of the crapware that I could on the One X seems to run better now.
    Thanks for posting that. Knew this was possible, asked if it was just to give them a hint where to check, and wise guys jump up and insist its not.

Which means they never even checked before pontificating. Unbelievable!!

You suppose pdj79 will try the other things I told him to do? Of course not.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    You can disable AT&T nav, you just have to uninstall updates first. After you do that, the disable button will appear.
    That's right... I forgot about uninstalling updates first. I'm going to edit my post above and add this step.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Which means they never even checked before pontificating. Unbelievable!!

You suppose pdj79 will try the other things I told him to do? Of course not.

There's a difference between being helpful and being an @$$. You chose the latter route. Someone was actually nice enough to PM me and provided more assistance in 3 sentences than your entire post. The issue had NOTHING to do with other apps being installed and stealing the default status. I had to manually go into App Associations and tell the Android to use Dolphin to handle Web URLs, something that I assumed was supposed to happen when I kept being prompted to make it the default whenever I would open the app. Even going into Dolphin's settings and manually setting default there didn't work, so that's why I assumed the same thing was happening here. I don't know if it's a bug or something hard-coded that prevented anything other than the stock browser to be default in that manner, but at least it has been figured out.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Would like to mark this issue as resolved for me. I was able to disable the AT&T navigation app and now it never bothers me again!

Thanks for the tip and help.

Osho

Quote Originally Posted by gerardv514 View Post
    Actually, it is HTC if the same issue is happening across 2 different carriers. Please note that the OP has AT&T, so is it that the option to remember to use Google Navigation a problem both with AT&T & Verizon's? No, it comes down to a bug in HTC's software, I've had this phone since it came out, and it wasn't until the recent software release where this issue started occurring. Don't be so quick to jump down people's throats, jeez.
    It works the way it does because that's how the carriers want it to work...HTC could give a rat's behind about carrier specific nav apps.

I had this problem as well and found out how to fix it.

Go to Settings -> Applications.
    At the bottom of the screen is "App Associations"
    Check "Physical Address" - it is probably set to ATT Navigator, change it to your preference (google maps, in my case)
    Also...
    Check Map Address - switch that to google maps as well.

That fixed it for me!

Mark Niemann-Ross
    Author of "Phantom Sense and other stories" at strangewolf.us