K-9 mail questions

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm liking this app. I'm just wondering. If those that use it use it along side Gmail app for their Gmail accounts? I think the Gmail app is pretty nice. Also, what advantages does k9 have over stock mail app.?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I love K9 its the best. But after trying to manage my own domains and forever battle spam I gave up. I pay Google $50.00 per year per employee for google apps via my domain and use free gmail for personal. I could not be happier. No spam, every device or computer I touch has all my docs,, apps and email at my fingertips. I was also getting tired of buying ms office for every computer I used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Right on. You know I got puzzled because it wasn't opening any links within emails while using k9. Thoughts?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Right on. You know I got puzzled because it wasn't opening any links within emails while using k9. Thoughts?

I have no problem opening links received in mail with k-9.
Do you have the AT&T model?
I think in the AT&T model there is a default application selection in settings. What do you have set as the default app for these links?

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I use K-9 for my corporate mail, as well as secondary Gmail accounts and an old yahoo account.
I've found android just works better when it only knows about one Google account.
So I use k-9 for those other accounts and the Gmail app for my primary gmail account and I use the generic email app for nothing at all.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I got the link issue working. Now, forgive me if I'm missing something simple, but where is the search function?!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I got the link issue working. Now, forgive me if I'm missing something simple, but where is the search function?!

Its in the three-dot-menu.
But it only appears when you are looking at the view that shows the LIST OF ACCOUNTS.

Further, it will only search folders that are marked as searchable.
To determine if a folder is searchable"

1. Select the Email account (so you are looking at the inbox list):
  2. Then tap three dots menu
  3. Then tap more
  4. Then tap settings
  5. Then tap Account Settings
  6. Then tap Folders
  7. Then tap Folders to search
  8. Make sure it is either All or Displayable

To actually conduct a search:
  • Open K-9 to the accounts list
  • press three dots menu
  • Tap Search
  • Key in your terms
  • Hit enter

Side rant:
If there is one thing I wish k-9 would change its this horrible settings structure. You can't always get to the settings you want, because the menus shown depend on where you started from. Some times you search all over hell looking for the menus you know you saw, but you can never find it again because you started looking from the wrong place.

You should be able to search just one inbox or just one folder, but you can't because the search is global.

Also if you need to send or receive encrypted mail, or digitally sign mail, be sure you install AGP app first before k-9, and properly import your Private key. Then it works perfectly. (My company requires some private information between branches be sent as encrypted mail).

pigeonxda

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get rid of entries that are stored for autocomplete email addresses? I have an autocomplete entry that constantly comes up that is not in my address book and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

d103

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Using K-9 Like to leave messages on server, but would like to delete on the phone and keep on the server. When we delete on the phone they keep loading again, is there any settings to keep on the server but only delete on the phone?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
You can tell k-9 how long it keep messages on your phone. I believe you can set this by each folder.

Set that for like 7 days and after that it won't appear unless you ask k-9 to fetch the next 25 messages.

Or move the messages to a different folder, and set that folder to not autosync.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

d103

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, we have set for one day, just wish there was the option to delete from phone and not fetch again even for the one day.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Is this a gmail account? If so, you can set k9 to just move it to all mail upon delete. Its not really gone.

Of course you can do that with any iMap account too. Delete doesn't have to be delete.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Rickster M

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why K-9 automatically removes my emails from my in box? Where do they go? and how can I stop it from happening. I searched and went through what I thought was the complete settings menu and I can't find anything relative. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it does.
However, if you are also reading that mail account with another machine, it could be that machine that is deleting the mail.

Imap accounts synchronize actions across devices. So delete on one machine cause delete on all.
Also having one or more, machines using the account as POP, while others use it as IMAP leads to difficult to figure out situations.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech