GPS issues with HTC ONE X

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum thing, but I'd appreciate to get your opinions and/or help if possible.

I have an HTC One X international version, so far I'm really happy with it. Not rooted either.

Now, when using Google Maps Navigation, be it while in my car (HTC Car on HTC rack), or when walking, biking..., usually you can get your position just with the GPS turned on, no mobile network or Wi-fi.
Since about a week now, I have the problem that GPS doesn't work at all while using Google Navigation. Google Maps still works, but not Navigation. I tried even with Wi-fi outside (home) and mobile network. G-Navigation finds the approximate location, or even the route, when I enter one, but then it's just stuck and tells me "Searching for GPS..."
You may call me naive, but first I thought it was because of the sudden change of weather (heavy rain for a week), but then the sun came back, but still I couldn't get GPS or use
G-Nav properly.

This is my story, my problem, and it's really starting to annoy me.
I have searched the WWW about this problem without prevail. And before contacting HTC, I'd like to look for help here.

So please, you good people here in the AC-forums, anyone of you guys had/has a similar problem or even a solution?

Thank you all, and may the force be with you, Android, always!:cool:

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem last week...It just decided not to find a signal.

To fix it, I went into the options and turned off the GPS option and then turned it back on and it worked again and has done since.

I don't know what the problem was but that seemed to fix it.

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I tried that several times, but still doesn't fix it. Unless you mean something else with "options" than the settings menu of the phone...

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I would clear data on Maps. It is odd that it works in Maps, but not Nav, as Nav is part of Maps. Clear Data on Maps app. IF it still doesn't work, try this to kick start it-

Open up Maps and look up an address somewhere else. Click on it, click on DIRECTIONS and then the NAVIGATE button at the bottom. See if loading Nav up from within Maps itself kicks it off correctly.

You have checks in all the options in MENU-LOCATION?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
There are many apps that will give you get your position just with the GPS turned on, no mobile network or Wi-fi.

But all they give you is Longitude/Latitude. No map images.

If you want mapping as you walk/bike into No-Signal Land, you have to start your navigation before you leave the area, or you have to call up the area you want in Google Maps, then hit Menu, and select "Make available Off Line".

Then you can navigate within your area using the off-line saved images.

Note that it can take a long time to find satellites when you don't have Tower data to seed your GPS with data.
As much as 5 minutes in worst case.

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would clear data on Maps. It is odd that it works in Maps, but not Nav, as Nav is part of Maps. Clear Data on Maps app. IF it still doesn't work, try this to kick start it-

Open up Maps and look up an address somewhere else. Click on it, click on DIRECTIONS and then the NAVIGATE button at the bottom. See if loading Nav up from within Maps itself kicks it off correctly.

You have checks in all the options in MENU-LOCATION?
Tks for your propositions.
I had tried your kick start propositions already several times before, I've cleared data on Maps app too. I've waited for over 40 minutes one time and still couldn't get the damn GPS to work properly. GPS icon in the notifications bar flashed all the time, sometimes the map found an approximate position to where I was, it zoomed into that position automatically, then out again, but always in a state of "Searching for GPS" and the icon flashing instead of being steady. I was outside, clear sky, wi-fi or mobile network turned on. Nothing seems to help. I believe I just tried about everything there is to try. I might just do a hard reset or wait for Jelly Bean to arrive, maybe that'll fix it...?!?

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
There are many apps that will give you get your position just with the GPS turned on, no mobile network or Wi-fi.

But all they give you is Longitude/Latitude. No map images.

If you want mapping as you walk/bike into No-Signal Land, you have to start your navigation before you leave the area, or you have to call up the area you want in Google Maps, then hit Menu, and select "Make available Off Line".

Then you can navigate within your area using the off-line saved images.

Note that it can take a long time to find satellites when you don't have Tower data to seed your GPS with data.
As much as 5 minutes in worst case.

@icebike. First of, tks for your input.
I know about the GPS tracking of several apps, notably endomondo, which I use often and which used to still work properly up until a week ago. I do know you have to start your journey with data connection turned on, that's logical, but then it gives you or in my case better said "used to give me" the whole way I drove, whether I had started a route or just had Nav on and the arrow moved along the roads I was driving or walking or biking, without any problems, no data connection needed. Ok, it gave you the odd, not so detailed map squares here and there, but if you'd want to get all clear map pics again, you just turn on your mob net and it works.
You mention the "Make available offline" option. I like that it exists, I just don't like how it works, doesn't work properly...well maybe it'll improve in time.

Up to 5 minutes to find GPS signal would be like Heaven for me, believe me. I've tested it all and waited well over 40 minutes without any success of getting a GPS signal that lasted, i.e. GPS signal steady instead of flashing in the notification bar.
I've just about tried everything.
Any other ideas?

---------- Post Merged at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Any other ideas?
Quick poll anyone
Should I:
1. keep waiting and trying and hoping til I get mad?
2. wait for Jelly Bean, maybe it'll fix it?
3. hard reset my HOX?
4. sell the damn thing and buy the all new HOX+?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I would get a new one from ATT. If it is new enough, walk it in and show them the GPS issue. If not new enough, do the warranty replacement. My HOX has been perfect on GPS, and there is not a rash of GPS issues that I have read. I think you got a lemon and should swap it out. If getting the HOX+ is a serious option, as in not a burden... I might do that :).

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would get a new one from ATT. If it is new enough, walk it in and show them the GPS issue. If not new enough, do the warranty replacement. My HOX has been perfect on GPS, and there is not a rash of GPS issues that I have read. I think you got a lemon and should swap it out. If getting the HOX+ is a serious option, as in not a burden... I might do that :).

Tks loraque, problem is, I'm from Luxembourg, provider rules are different here, and no ATT here :) I will try to contact Google on this issue, then HTC, and if no help from either, go to the store and send it in, or I might just re-sell it to HTC.
Unless somebody here has "the" solution and view my thread and kindly give it to me :)

---------- Post Merged at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Tks loraque, but I'm from Luxembourg, no ATT here :) I will try to contact Google, and HTC, and if no solution, I'll bring it to the store to send it in, or I might just resell it to HTC directly and pick up a new one.
Tks though.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
You might try the GPS Status app free in the market.

It has indicators for satellites that it can see.

If it shows no satellites at all it is probably a antenna disconnected inside.

Also, my model has a setting to reload all location related apps. It's under settings, location. It might help.

sumyqaha.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
@icebike.
Tks for the tip, I will try out GPS Status app.
About the reinstallation of location related apps, did that also before already, didn't help.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
When you say GPS works in Maps, with what accuracy? What size is the blue circle around your indicator? It should say it is accurate to 30m, or 1000m or something.I wonder if you are only ever getting aGPS. It certainly sounds like your GPS is just not working.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Only getting AGPS?

I think you may be confused about what AGPS is.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Assisted GPS? As in, how it is listed in Sense, Google Location service? I thought that was aGPS. GPS without GPS satellites is what I meant, whatever it is called. When I flash CM, I use Tasker to leave actual GPS off unless in Maps/Nav, to avoid the Maps battery drain CM10 sometimes sees. Whatever the non-GPS locations service is called, it works fine for local search and even bringing up a map of the general area, but the accuracy is usually around 1km. Was just asking what the accuracy of his Maps was reporting to see if he is EVER getting GPS signal. Perhaps it is not working in Maps either, and it just looked like it was.

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Loraque, this is the accuracy from Maps as attached

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349373002253.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349373002253.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 192

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Icebike,loraque, tested the gps status app and I don't really get what it does or is supposed to do. I'm no expert I guess. But her's the result after 10 mins running of the app, not moving, outside on the same spot. If you know what it means or if it means anything,pls do explain. Tks a bunch

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349373409822.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349373409822.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 192

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
It looks to me that it is seeing satellites (the little bar graph items on the horizontal hash line), but its not getting a fix on them.
They turn green when they are used for a fix.

GPS Status does not declare it a fix until it has at least three sats, although it will show you a position well before that.
Longitude and Latitude will show up, and a error figure will show, (Where AGPS shows on the image above).

While calculating a fix the GPS symbol in the notification bar flashes. Even if it is showing you Long/Lat, with no fix the GPS chip is still listening.

Your second image shows 4 satellites, and the "radar plot" shows that some of them are directly overhead. So this should be getting a fix, but
we don't know the accuracy of the AGPS data sent from the towers, (or even if the towers in that area broadcast AGPS data)

AGPS tells the phone: here is your rough location, and here is the current Almanac (list of satellites).
With this the GPS chip can calculate which satellites it should listen to, and time to first fix can be mere seconds.

WITHOUT AGPS, the first fix can be up to 12.5 minutes, because it has to download the Almanac directly from the Satellites and that can take a while.

Was this done outside? At that time of night in Diekirch, Luxembourg, I suspect it was not outside.

I've noticed that the HOX, and my old Nexus One, and a Samsung Captivate, ALL shows far fewer satellites than my Acer Iconia A700 Tablet indoors.
However, the Acer A700 has both USA GPS, as well as Glonass support (Russian GPS satellite system) so it routinely sees 18 sats whereas the phones don't support Glonass.

Outdoors, all my phones show the same number, in roughly the same time.

The tests should be run outdoors. Building construction can make a huge difference.

I suspect if you CAN get a good fix with GPS-Status out doors that the GPS is working about as well as is to be expected.
If it takes >10 minutes, that means your Towers aren't broadcasting AGPS info, or the info is wrong, or stale. (Wrong or stale data from the towers can acutally slow down your phone's GPS, and so can wrong time from the towers).

Inside, or anywhere that Google Maps can see WIFI routers, (even ones it does not connect to) Google Maps may be much faster at fixing your position, but it does so without the use of GPS.

So, test outdoors, and you should get a fix within minutes, maybe 10 minutes if towers aren't helping. If not, maybe the unit has some problems, and needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's alot of stuff to consider, but I get the hang of Gps Status app now.
Thanks a lot for giving such a detailed description! :)

For your info, all tests were done outside. I made another one while driving and I'll attach a pic here.

I believe I had up to 5 Sats at one moment, but never a fix as you explained. I drove for about 45 mins and never ever was the GPS icon in the notification bar coming to steady.

It strikes me now that you mention the GPS icon flashing instead of maybe being steady. Each time I use G-maps, indoors or outdoors,it flashes. Then, when using G-Nav (in the past when it worked), the signal was pretty quickly found and the GPS icon was steady all the time.
I could leave out of reach of my Wi-fi from home an drive the whole route I chose without any problem, except for work road deviations of course, where I had to turn my mobile network on to recalculate the route if the deviation was too far off.

Be it noted that we don't have the detailed traffic infos network here in Luxembourg that give the deviation from the start or while en route. That's different in the US an UK I believe and maybe other countries.

So, if I get your explanations right and if I believe the Google mobile Maps help center about the Gps signal, when I can construct a GPS connection from many satellites, then the GPS icon will be steady not flashing even in G-maps?!?
I hope I'm expressing myself the right way...

So again, being outside using Google Maps (or any other app requesting GPS), the GPS icon should be steady when I have a good or a "real" connection to the satellites. Now, as far as I remember, since I've got my HOX (6 months now), the GPS icon was always flashing in G-Maps, never steady, and that was outside and wi-fi or mobile network turned on. But in G-Nav it got steady almost in no time, when I switched from G-Maps to G-Nav, either while on foot or when driving (using HTC car with the rack installed in my car). And now it doesn't anymore. It's flashing all the time. Although, this evening I tried again and suddenly G-Nav recognized the route but only for 2mins time, then the arrow didn't follow the route anymore and got stuck.

Well, I'll do what you pointed out above and hope the sats here send AGPS data and that I can get a fix on them...

One more question though, as you seem to be very knowledgable about these things, maybe you know.
Can bad weather influence receiving GPS signals in a major way? Because about 2 weeks ago the weather changed from sunny to rainy or heavy rain these days. Could that affect this?

I can't thank you enough for your assistance in this, really nice of you. I've learned a lot today.

I'll do my best to test this tomorrow and if you don't mind I'll come back with the results when available...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349394001657.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349394001657.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 191

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but there is definitely something wrong with your GPS if you aren't getting a fix on even 1 satellite after 45 minutes. I use both a Garmin Oregon 450 and Delorme PN-60 for hiking and geocaching and accuracy requires a fix on at least 5 sattelites since we don't have the luxury of aGPS.

Your GPS Status screen should look like this....screen shot was taken after 15 seconds and was done indoors under partly cloudy sky.

uploadfromtaptalk1349405955431.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech