Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ToxicWaste
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Go sms won't disappear

Hi, all

I uninstalled go sms but it still shows a robot icon on the touchscreen for a shortcut but on ky smokescreen it shows the stock message app. I cleaned out all the Go files and its still there. Uninstalled anything related to it.

Any advice??

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Converted iPhone user and happy new owner of an HTC One X.............Sorry Apple........

Default Re: Go sms won't disappear

Have you tried long hold on the icon and removed it?

~~Android Goddess~~
    ~*Purple Android*~
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I can't. The icon only shows on the lock screen and nowhere to b found in my apps.

Converted iPhone user and happy new owner of an HTC One X.............Sorry Apple........

You need to go into your settings for your lock screen to remove it.

~~Android Goddess~~
    ~*Purple Android*~

Go to your settings... Then personalize.. select Display at the bottom and then Lockscreen shortcuts

~~Android Goddess~~
    ~*Purple Android*~
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

That's not how this phone works. It chooses 4 apps from the dock. The app in the dock is stock but it's not the same looking app on the lock screen. It's a green robot and it says Go sms Pro.

You might need to go into your files using a file manager or connect to PC and physically remove the folder for GoSMS. Even after you uninstall an app, there is a folder that remains in your system for that app.

Have you selected the stock messaging app as your default messaging?

~~Android Goddess~~
    Last edited by ThePurpleAndroid; 10-14-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    ~*Purple Android*~
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ya I had done all that. Can't find anymore go sms at all in the file system. I also had set the stock messaging app back as the default.

I appreciate your help.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Go sms won't disappear-uploadfromtaptalk1350267941748.jpg  

Have you removed your lock screen icons and put them back to see I'd it reverts to the stock messaging app? Maybe a turn off your phone and turn it back on?

~~Android Goddess~~
    ~*Purple Android*~
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I appeared to have tried everything. So odd....

That is odd. Cache/history cleaner??

Do you have the restart option in the menu when you go to turn off your phone??

If all else fails... Possibly a factory reset? Last resort

~~Android Goddess~~
    ~*Purple Android*~
    Thanked by:

Ok, I have 2 suggestions, go into /data/app with root explorer, and look for a go sms odex file, if it's there, delete it. Then, use titanium backup to remove orphan data

Sent from my LG Viper 4g LTE using Tapatalk 2
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I'm not rooted, so I can't use Titanium Backup. I decided to put Go sms back on and after restarting the icon changed back to Go sms' icon. It almost seems like that icon was a placeholder for an icon the OS didn't know needed to be there.

Try adb then, just delete the odex file, and the folder in /data/data if there is one.

Sent from my LG Viper 4g LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

I don't think the problem is GoSMS, though there may be a way to solve it installing it back too. The problem is the Sense lockscreen keeping a shortcut to an app that no longer exists there, and not using what is currently in the dock. I would try, now that Go is back installed, to re-add Go to the dock, check the lockscreen, then replace it on the dock with whatever you want. Maybe it had trouble getting rid of the link to GoSMS because you had uninstalled it? Otherwise, I would think clearing data on the correct Sense app would do the trick. I would need to get my hands on my wife's to see stock again, unless someone else can chime in. It is not listed as rosie (sense launcher) is it?
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by loraque View Post
    I don't think the problem is GoSMS, though there may be a way to solve it installing it back too. The problem is the Sense lockscreen keeping a shortcut to an app that no longer exists there, and not using what is currently in the dock. I would try, now that Go is back installed, to re-add Go to the dock, check the lockscreen, then replace it on the dock with whatever you want. Maybe it had trouble getting rid of the link to GoSMS because you had uninstalled it? Otherwise, I would think clearing data on the correct Sense app would do the trick. I would need to get my hands on my wife's to see stock again, unless someone else can chime in. It is not listed as rosie (sense launcher) is it?
    I think your right about it not being a Go problem. I think it's Nova Launcher (noticed I didn't mention it). Seems it may have something to do with the app count in the dock. I pulled them out, changed the number but when I came back to the home screen it put doubles of some apps in. I wonder if others are having this problem. Now it does it with a browser too. Has Opera showing but I put Chrome in the dock. Restarted ETC. Still goofy.

That is the problem then... You lose control of those shortcuts if you are not using the sense launcher. Disable nova temporarily, set the icons how you want under sense, then enable again.

Those links are a function of sense, not android. So when you go away from sense launcher...

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I'll try that but it's still strange how it holds a place and name for an app that isn't on the OS anymore. I emailed them for good measure.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I feel so stupid. I can't believe I forgot to mention right away I was using Nova. Thanks, it fixed the issue. Would be nice if they could modify that so it wouldn't happen.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

Jon

I didn't even think to ask of you were using a launcher... So my bad for not asking lol

~~HTC Evo Design~~
    ~*Purple Android*~

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicWaste View Post
    I feel so stupid. I can't believe I forgot to mention right away I was using Nova. Thanks, it fixed the issue. Would be nice if they could modify that so it wouldn't happen.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

Jon

That one snuck by everyone . Sense, is more than just a launcher. It is what gives HTC an edge, as they probably have the best UI of the major manufacturers. Opinion obviously.

The reason that link was still there, is that it was just a shortcut to the app that was saved by Sense as your selection. Think of it just link when you install an app on Windows and manually create a shortcut to it on your Taskbar, or wherever. When you uninstall the app, it will only remove those items that the app installer placed... any shortcuts you made will still be there and will require manual deletion. The same thing is happening here, as those links are handled by Sense, and only directly controlled when using the Sense launcher.

There are not too many places for something like this to happen . If you had a Samsung or Motorola, you would not have been able to create the lockscreen shortcuts in the first place .

There is actually an app for that... making it so you no longer need Sense launcher to create and use the lockscreen shortcuts. I can link if needed, it is out on XDA somewhere. Someone wrote it up for exactly this 'problem'.

EDIT- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1874283
    Last edited by loraque; 10-16-2012 at 09:16 AM.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

It all makes perfect sense after the solution is found. I rather like stick Sense but I also am a recover iPhone and jail breaker user. I wished for a little more. Nova gives me a few more tweaks I like. Especially the ability to put more icons on the screen. Im not a big fan of the app drawer idea. I don't mind pages with apps and besides, looks much better with widgets too. Another thing Apple won't allow.