Thinking of buying a HTC One X

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
So you're able to get into recovery right? I've never used clockwork. I have TWRP installed because I was told it's "better" for the one X. I don't know why.

I can't walk you through clockwork like I could TWRP, but if you've unlocked the bootloader, and installed clockwork then you're ready to flash. Just follow my previous instructions.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have done all the steps correctly, I believe. I copied the fastboot app and "Shift + Right Click" and "Open Command Window Here" then flashed "boot.img" using this command "fastboot flash boot boot.img".

Afterwards I reached the final step here: "Find a ROM that's compatible with your device, download it and download gapps. When they're finished reboot into recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, and do a factory reset. Then find the ROM you downloaded in probably your download folder. Tap it and hit flash. Once that's finished wipe cache and dalvik again." but I didn't flash gapps and I accidentally rebooted my device. Now it is stuck at the "HTC quietly brilliant" logo and nothing is happening. I tried rebooting by holding the power button and then the volume down button but it won't boot into recovery mode.. what do I do?????

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I was finally able to boot it into recovery mode and I supposedly flashed gapps by copying fastboot into the Gapps file folder and executing this command " fastboot flash boot install-optional.sh"

Now whenever I use the power button to click "REBOOT" it keeps rebooting into recovery mode.. I am frustrated.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Let's make sure that your phone can actually reboot first. Try holding down the power button and only the power button. If the screen goes off then press and hold the volume down button. It'll bring you to your bootloader. From there you can get back into recovery, do a full wipe and try again.

Sent from my Nexus 7

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
But am I flashing it the right way in the first place? I mean it takes like 0.5 seconds to flash the ROM when I run the command window and type "fastboot flash boot boot.img" is it supposed to be that short?

I feel like I am a moron. There's something missing and I don't know what it is. Have you taken a look at the screen shot I posted? There are only two folders and one boot.img file and nothing else. I actually had to download fastboot from HTCDev's website and copy it over there. What is missing?!?!

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
No it shouldn't flash a 500-something mb file instantly. This is what I do with Twrp. I download the rom from my phone. That way it installs directly to my internal sd card. I reboot into recovery, flash the rom, set my phone up, make a backup, then transfer that backup to my laptop and remove it from my phone storage.

If you want to do it how I do, I recommend restoring your backup then downloading the file from wherever you got it from and then going into recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Okay that's what I am going to do then. I went into backup > restore and choose the backup I did today. When it was done I choose "reboot system" and now the device displays the "HTC quietly brilliant" logo and nothing is happening. Screw it!!!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Done but still stuck at the HTC logo. What are my options? Is there anyway possible that I can flash ANY ROM that would work? Perhaps a stock one from Google? One that just installs with an executable file rather than all the complicated cmd window and .img files crap.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
wait a bit longer for the one x plus!!! Gonna have an late tegra 3 and from what I hear 2 gigs of system ram and seems at&t will let us keep the 64 gig storage then again its not final so subject to change

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
International.

And by the way, I went into "Recovery" and then mounted the internal storage of the device on the computer. I then copied the ROM zip and the Gapps zip and I installed them after wiping the device and clearing cache and stuff, and then rebooted the device but it's still stuck at the logo. Is it now bricked?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
YES!!! I HAVE FINALLY DONE IT. Omg.. I wouldn't have thought it would be so complicated. If only I had read several guides before attempting to do this, I would have been done in like 10 - 15 minutes maximum.

Anyway, I followed these steps exactly:

"turn OFF your phone
boot in bootloader
select fastboot mod
flash boot.img via fastboot that is located in the rom.zip: fastboot flash boot boot.img
run this command now: fastboot erase cache
go back to hboot screen
select recovery
full wipe is recommended if coming from sense, if coming from other AOSP roms than not
flash the rom
flash these gapps (Google applications - 20121011) -they NEED to be flashed after every ROM flash
boot'

I didn't understand what most of them meant until after a lot of trial and error and, of course, all your wonderful help which I cannot express how grateful I am for. I truly am sorry for wasting your time and bothering you, but I sure am glad I finally got through this as it truly was pissing me off.

By the way, I heard this doesn't have "Sense", why is the camera worse when you don't have sense? Is it the camera features or the photo quality that gets worse?

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations. I'm glad you got it. I was about to post this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1592355&highlight=search+this+forum

Which might be the same thing you just posted. The ROM you flashed is a stock Android ROM (senseless ROM). I do love the sense camera and you won't get the sense camera on any other ROM that isn't sense based. I don't believe the quality is any worse, you just don't get the tons of features sense offers.

Sent from my Nexus 7

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I believe you summed it up perfectly when you said that the Sense camera is special; I truly dislike the current camera I have and I may end up going back to a sense-based ROM.

The things I like about this senseless ROM is that it is snappy and fast.. I mean it is really quick and doesn't lag. You can see it when you swipe pages, it's just really fast compared to Sense - sort of like the Galaxy S3 that I saw in the comparison video. As you said, though, the battery life is quite bad compared to a sense-based ROM, and I still do not understand why to be honest.

Customizing this ROM is much easier than the sense-based JB ROM (non-custom, stock) I had on the device.

I might just go for a custom ROM that is sense-based in order to get back the less-than-impressive battery life and amazing camera features back.

Thank you for all your help, I truly appreciate it.

In order to avoid any complications, I'll use TWP or w.e it is called to backup and perform the steps you mentioned above. Hopefully it'll go smoothly. Any custom ROM that is sense-based which you'd recommend in terms of speed? I'd love me a snappy ROM. :D

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Not sure, maybe you should message the developer. But I did see the option with that ROM to go sense or sense less. If you don't like sense you can go senseless by changing the launcher and still get the sense camera.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I took the advice of someone on another forum and I am downloading this:

[ROM] 21.09 Team Venom viperX 2.7.1 - Sense 4.1 | orig. OTA | Tweaks | CPU Control - xda-developers

"Whilst it is Sense, you have the option to remove parts of Sense during the install, meaning you get the camera, plus the Sense Launcher is removed, along with some Sense Apps. During Install, an app runs in recovery called Aroma, this allows you to choose an alternative launcher and remove apps you think you won't need. It will still have certain system files, so the Sense camera will still work."

Seems pretty awesome and fool-proof to install.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I am getting truly frustrated with my One X. I do not know if it's because I just installed a new ROM and it should take a day or two to become stable, but the battery life is horrendous and completely unacceptable for a device that cost that much.

What frustrates me is that it drops A LOT when in STANDBY, not just when I am using it. In fact it drops almost as much when it's in standby as it does when I am using it and this is truly weird. As I mentioned before, I was a long-time iPhone user and I know that touch-screen devices use a lot of power but no iPhone I have ever held used that much battery, and the last one was the 4S. But actually, the iPhone didn't use much if any power while in standby mode (as in screen off and stuff).

Is there something I should do? I even installed Juice Defender and set it to aggressive, but no use.

Is it because I am using, perhaps, a custom ROM? Should I revert back to stock, unroot, and relock the device in order for it to live longer? I don't get it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan