Looking to switch from iPhone

legec117

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to switch from iOS to android. I am bored with apple ios and the hardware selection (or lack there of). I still have a year left on my contract(ATT) and am looking to buy either a Nexus 4 or HTC one X (Both can be had at approximately the same price). What is your opinion on this? LTE is important, but its not a big deal to me (but it would be nice). Also, storage is not a big deal either, as 16gb would be fine in either device.

What would you do?

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Depends,if you want timely updates,then the nexus 4. If you don't care for the latest and greatest,then the one x. The one x is an amazing phone,I wouldn't trade it unless Id have a chance with its bigger brother the one x+. But The nexus 4 seems like a pretty good device,it'll have a quad core processor so there's a good chance you'll get little lag in what you do.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Depends,if you want timely updates,then the nexus 4. If you don't care for the latest and greatest,then the one x. The one x is an amazing phone,I wouldn't trade it unless Id have a chance with its bigger brother the one x+. But The nexus 4 seems like a pretty good device,it'll have a quad core processor so there's a good chance you'll get little lag in what you do. So you choose.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd pick Nexus 4. It technically has slightly more onboard space than the HOX does. Not to mention it's running pure Android Jelly Bean, which is awesome.

You could also hold out and get One X+ like SenseMonkey says. However, it can run hot as a mo'effer, and it tends to share with the infamous battery life of its little brother (despite the larger battery, and thanks to the beefier processor).

Sent from my HTC One X

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
have to say it looks a win/win either way if you are worried about space an international one x comes with 32 gb and soon to be JB and sense4+

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The one x is a great phone to switch to. I'd be torn between it and the nexus4 tho. I've been without LTE and doing fine, I'd like the quad core to run some smoother gaming, so I'd look into an international one x

ToxicWaste

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Csme from Apple too. However, I love my One X and have zero regrets. It's super fast on 4G and unreal on LTE. The 16gig limit isn't so limiting to me. There's GDrive, SkyDrive and Dropbox and most people with large capacity phones are using those too. Plus the phone has a great price.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

legec117

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Toxic,
What were the main things that you miss from iphone? I think I will miss group messaging via iMessage (everyone I know has an iPhone). It looks like all of the apps I use are on android as well.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The one x is a great phone to switch to. I'd be torn between it and the nexus4 tho. I've been without LTE and doing fine, I'd like the quad core to run some smoother gaming, so I'd look into an international one x

I retract this statement. After browsing the internet all day on LTE and its quickness, I'll take it over any hspa+ device lol

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you what I miss...

1.) The ability to back my device up in its entirety.I

2.) A much more flexible email client.

3.) A decent database manager (Bento).
4.) Don't really miss it as I have never lost a device, but I am less than confident in Android's "Find my iPhone" alternatives.

I have pretty much worked around any other differences in my workflow with the device with little to no effort, and the advantages of having a file system that I can actually access are substantial.

I use Lookout. I've messed with its ability to locate my phone and make it scream and think it's sufficient.

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4. The One X you get with 4G has a dual core processor, but the Nexus 4 is Quad Core, plus has 2 GB RAM.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Turn off your GPS and see if it is as capable. Since 2.3.3, third party apps cannot override user settings for location services.

I'll try it today

Nexus 4. The One X you get with 4G has a dual core processor, but the Nexus 4 is Quad Core, plus has 2 GB RAM.

Which the gs3 has shown to have not that much of a difference. Still nice to have tho!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Turn off your GPS and see if it is as capable. Since 2.3.3, third party apps cannot override user settings for location services.

Interesting. So you have gone into settings and physically disabled all location services?

I turned off google location services and it put me 4 houses away from actual location. I always have google location services on though because its used to help "maps". GPS, location & google search, compass warning are all off though.

Give it a try. It's free.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense as it is using wireless to determine your location (instead of more accurate GPS).

Thanks, I am actually using Cerberus... which does the same thing

Cool I'll check that out. I've never cared for these location apps like find my iPhone but figured it could be useful if it happened

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Depends,if you want timely updates,then the nexus 4. If you don't care for the latest and greatest,then the one x. The one x is an amazing phone,I wouldn't trade it unless Id have a chance with its bigger brother the one x+. But The nexus 4 seems like a pretty good device,it'll have a quad core processor so there's a good chance you'll get little lag in what you do.

Actually with the quad core jelly bean 4.2 and the fact that it has no overlay its just stock Android I'd imagine little lag is an understatement, I'd say no lag at all lol