Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Default Re: Fed up with stock battery life

Quote Originally Posted by VicisboyClark View Post
    I am on my 4th smartphone. Could someone please explain why the manufacturers continue to make bigger, better screens, better cameras, better service (4g) yet almost no phone offers the ability to last 1 full day of use? That's like making a super car that does everything well but cannot go ore than 25 miles without gas. I really don't understand why manufacturers don't seem to care about this. I always buy an extended battery and they barely make it through a full day. Am I alone or would anyone else be willing to get a heavier phone with slighly lower performance if the battery could last the day?
    Because a thin phone is sexier than a thick phone to the average user.

But in the end the battery is more important.

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by VicisboyClark View Post
    I am on my 4th smartphone. Could someone please explain why the manufacturers continue to make bigger, better screens, better cameras, better service (4g) yet almost no phone offers the ability to last 1 full day of use? That's like making a super car that does everything well but cannot go ore than 25 miles without gas. I really don't understand why manufacturers don't seem to care about this. I always buy an extended battery and they barely make it through a full day. Am I alone or would anyone else be willing to get a heavier phone with slighly lower performance if the battery could last the day?
    I could do the heavier phone but not less performance lol. :thumbup:

Sent from my awesome HTC one x(:

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Irk I'm getting good battery life. Squeezed 22 hoursoit of it watched. Wrath of the titans played a game. Listened to music.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

I usually get good life out of mine after tweaking a couple things, but sometimes it still just dies like it did two nights ago.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Exactly disabled a lot of the preinstalled bs.better battery life. You got to go to your applications in setting highlite them and disable.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanogen-man View Post
    Exactly disabled a lot of the preinstalled bs.better battery life. You got to go to your applications in setting highlite them and disable.

Did everything. Disabled weather, and a lot of pre installed apps but still. As soon as I remove it off charge I see a 10% drain in an hour.

I too was having trouble with the battery life. I switched from an iPhone about 2 months ago and was used to 2 or 3 days on a charge then with the HOX it was way down. I wouldn't even last over night in sleep mode and have a dead phone the next morning. I downloaded an app I think its Easy Battery Saver. Set it up on recomended settings and today my batter was down 25 % with using the net and checking mail and a few phone calls. This was a nice app for my phone and seems to do the trick for me.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

10% in an hour is too bad for me. On my old phone I didn't make it 15 mins

10% in an hour is too bad for me. On my old phone I didn't make it 15 mins

I agree. With my experience on the One X, 10%/hour is acceptable with 30-45 minutes of screen time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adamtalife View Post
    I agree. With my experience on the One X, 10%/hour is acceptable with 30-45 minutes of screen time.
    I wasn't talking screen time. I get that drain even if the phone is laying idle.

Got about 14 hours today with more than 6 hours of continuous wifi and 2 hours screen time with 12% remaining right now. Hope its consistent!

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

The. You ha e some back ground issues my friend. Take facebook for example. All those auto updates and push notifications will eat your battery. Live wall papers will eat your battery. Hi brightness will eat your battery. Weak cell signals will eat your battery.

The. You ha e some back ground issues my friend. Take facebook for example. All those auto updates and push notifications will eat your battery. Live wall papers will eat your battery. Hi brightness will eat your battery. Weak cell signals will eat your battery.

I just have push notifications for fb. No live wallpaper. Auto brightness. I got 19 hours yesterday though with significant wi fi time

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

this time wifi was off. 3g data connection.5 email accounts,internet,text and phone. the big drop at the start was watching tvcatchup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fed up with stock battery life-2012-11-28-07.15.20.png   Fed up with stock battery life-2012-11-28-07.15.37.png   Fed up with stock battery life-2012-11-28-07.23.06.png  

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

sadly yes. The lte radio as fast and glorious as it is. Is like a v8 With a 12 gallon gas tank. Not gonna keep the motor running long.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

GPS on?? That's a major power draw

GPS on?? That's a major power draw
    Gps is not a major power draw.
    Its a receiver. It doesn't transmit. It takes virtually zero power. Mine is never off.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Turning GPS off did help me with the Map draining power issue.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoroth View Post
    Turning GPS off did help me with the Map draining power issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Its a receiver. It doesn't transmit. It takes virtually zero power. Mine is never off.

Ok see I rest my case. it is also a radio it sends data to ping off the satelite to get an accurate location. Ok do this go down the road with navigation, and no charger take a 20 minit ride. see how fast your battery takes a death plunge.

The gps does none of those things.
    It's a receiver. It doesn't ping (what ever the hell that means).

It listens.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Wrong.

battery life - Why does GPS on the iPhone use so much power? - Ask Different

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I have 21 mins of on screen time, 4 hours idle and I'm at 49%. The only thing I have synced is gmail and yahoo mail.

Your source is wrong.

First sentence in the second paragraph tip you off that this clown hasn't a single clue about how radio receivers work.

You don't POWER a receiver's antenna.

Got that? You just don't. It just sits there and quietly picks up the transmitted signal. The braces on your teeth pick up the signal just as effectively.

The math involved is trivial. The phone's main processor isn't even involved. It's all done in a tiny chip that does nothing else but listen for satellites, and spit out 3 numbers.

It takes almost no power. To obtain your position.

It takes more power to find your position with the gps turned off. Because then you have to have the main cpu wake up and try to triangulate its positive from cell towers which is actually a more difficult task.

So, here's your task list:
    1) take a course on elementary radio principles of operation. Learn how receivers work. The Boy Scouts could probably help.

2) look up the model numbers of the GPS chipsets used in your phone. Google bill of materials for your phone.

3) download the spec sheet for that gps receiver, an read the power consumption figures.

4) do some basic math.

5) sit down and be amazed what a wonderful time we live in where someone can own a high tech piece of equipment like a cell phone, and earn enough money to pay for it without possessing even a single clue about how even the tiniest part of it works.

Your source is wrong.

First sentence in the second paragraph tip you off that this clown hasn't a single clue about how radio receivers work.

You don't POWER a receiver's antenna.

Got that? You just don't. It just sits there and quietly picks up the transmitted signal. The braces on your teeth pick up the signal just as effectively.

The math involved is trivial. The phone's main processor isn't even involved. It's all done in a tiny chip that does nothing else but listen for satellites, and spit out 3 numbers.

It takes almost no power. To obtain your position.

It takes more power to find your position with the gps turned off. Because then you have to have the main cpu wake up and try to triangulate its positive from cell towers which is actually a more difficult task.

So, here's your task list:
    1) take a course on elementary radio principles of operation. Learn how receivers work. The Boy Scouts could probably help.

2) look up the model numbers of the GPS chipsets used in your phone. Google bill of materials for your phone.

3) download the spec sheet for that gps receiver, an read the power consumption figures.

4) do some basic math.

5) sit down and be amazed what a wonderful time we live in where someone can own a high tech piece of equipment like a cell phone, and earn enough money to pay for it without possessing even a single clue about how even the tiniest part of it works.

Right or wrong, this is a little snipey. At least the guy looked something up instead of just saying "Nu-uh" like some other forums I've been to...
    That said you seem to know your stuff, but it seems like I have heard of a powered receiver before, but maybe I dreamed it.

Anyway, how would Airplane mode effect this? I have to put my phone in AP mode all the time because I work in a cave.
    And wouldn't turning the GPS off keep the phone from searching for it's location? So there would not be a drain from searching by other means, if it's not searching anyway.

Did that make sense?

Airplane mode shuts down all the radios.
    That saves lots of power, because it's the transmitters that take power.

If the radio can't hear the tower very well it cranks up its own transmitter power (and requests the tower to do the same).

Working in a cave, or far from the towers costs a lot of battery. Just driving through rural areas burns a lot of battery, because the phone is always carrying on a conversation with the towers.

If you have wifi in your cave the phone will switch to that and shut down the expensive cellular data radio, and just listen for calls on gsm. Alternatively you can switch to EDGE (on some phones) and save about 2/3rds the power that 3G uses.

If you only need to receive calls, just turn off cellular data in settings. There's a widget for that too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast