Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Fed up with stock battery life

Ok cool thanks.
    I have the data off all the time. I only turn it on in the rare occurrence that I want to look something up and I'm not and work or home.
    Even with the data off though, I do get a lot of battery loss. I think there is just enough of a signal for it to search and die and search and die.

There isn't a way to get calls over wi-fi is there? Bc that is on all the time for me, and works pretty well.

Yeah i get calls on wifi all the time.

I use Google voice, so when my phone is on airplane mode (every time I visit relatives in Canada), I turn wifi back on when at their house or in hotels.

Google voice rings my free Ipkall number which throws the call onto the net to a free SIP account, which ring Csipsimple running on my phone. All free. All easy.

Some of my accounts in Europe call me via SIP directly, for free

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoroth View Post
    Right or wrong, this is a little snipey. At least the guy looked something up instead of just saying "Nu-uh" like some other forums I've been to...
    That said you seem to know your stuff, but it seems like I have heard of a powered receiver before, but maybe I dreamed it.

Anyway, how would Airplane mode effect this? I have to put my phone in AP mode all the time because I work in a cave.
    And wouldn't turning the GPS off keep the phone from searching for it's location? So there would not be a drain from searching by other means, if it's not searching anyway.

Did that make sense?
    Yeah, snippy is a good word. But if you read his posts that's a frequent style of his. Getting "snippy" when you are challenged about something is a sure sign of an inferiority complex. Anyway, having your GPS on when it's not needed is an unnecessary battery drain. Unless the laws of energy conservation are suspended in an android phone the GPS system (antenna, chip, flux capacitor, whatever) consumes energy. People can argue about how much but it is an unnecessary drain. Even the little GPS notification symbol consumes energy.

I was looking up battery life issues due to poor mobile reception. I get 3 bars on my One X for 99% of the time on T-Mobile and I just looked up my network info and it says Signal strength is -91dBm and 11 asu. Can this be the reason my phone is struggling to last a day?

Edit: Its also fluctuating upto -99 dBm

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Yes low signal makes the cell radio power up more to grab more signal. The better the signal the lower the power cunsumption. And on tmo?? You mite not be getting full signal due to their bands not exactly being the same. Get a t mobile device and test signal strength side by side.

MY ONE X PLUS IS GIVING ME A *****!!

Over the weekend, I was working on diagnosing my battery issues again. Had about an hour and a half of screen time, battery was down to 30%. I think I was on LTE most of the time, but it may have fluctuated between 4G and LTE, but I was at the same location the entire time. Yesterday I had a 3 hour plane ride, phone was in Airplane mode the whole time; at an hour and a half of screen time, battery was only down to about 75%. I was playing a game that whole time so the screen was constantly on. Turned the radio back on, and for the rest of the day my battery sucked with my normal use. So it seems like something I've got running that needs network access is sucking up the battery. Nothing is showing up in either GSam or the stock battery use data saying that something keeps trying to access data and is using up battery though, so it's hard to tell what's going on. I've since changed my exchange mail to check every hour, and anything like that.

What if you just turn off the mobile data, but leave the radio on for calls and texts?

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoroth View Post
    What if you just turn off the mobile data, but leave the radio on for calls and texts?
    That'll give you a bit significant better battery life.

My one x is better then your one x!!
    /
    D:
    \

My battery life has significantly improved after JB update. I used to run out of juice in 12 hrs with ICS but I have 12 hours right now with 50% battery remaining I guess JB is handling the deep sleep mode very well.

Regularly getting 21 hrs of battery with wifi on with 2 hours of screen time. Very happy with the update!
    adamtalife likes this.

I'm pleased with my battery life - One X (Tegra 3). I'm not a heavy user, wi-fi is all around me, so almost no 3G, I'm using my office PC primarily for e-mails and fixed phone line for calls during the day...auto-brightness, sync on-weather, 2 mail accounts, facebook...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fed up with stock battery life-2012-12-09-13.43.00.png  

For debugging this issues I can strongly recommend the following two apps 'where is my droid power' and 'cpu spy' which both work on non-rotted phones. Droid power does an excellent job on analysis all of the background processes which don't show up in the stock Android stats and with cpu spy you can check in which CPU state you phone spent most of the time. And probably in your case it's not 'deep sleep'
    Thanked by:
    pjniez 

ROM
    CM10 nightly

Going against what others have said, wifi was literally draining my battery. I left it off all day at work and texted throughout the day and I still have 31% left. I have not made any major changes to my phone software/hardware wise in the last two weeks.
    If someone has helped you or provided useful information, please click the "Like" or "Thanks" button on their posts.

I just checked my battery usage and maps caused around 12,000 wakelocks. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by yash777 View Post
    I just checked my battery usage and maps caused around 12,000 wakelocks. Is this normal?
    Who knows. I've never seen any place in the phone where it shows the number of wake locks. Only the total amount of time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234