Fed up with stock battery life

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
icebike,

I took your advice and did the above. it really did not improve a whole lot. being a new user of this phone and an avid forum contributor for previous phones i will experiment a bit. *edit ​there is a learning curve i believe But this is down right terrible, but my q9c used to be the same way until i made some serious stock changes. -this new generation may involve rooting, but with my job i am concerned about security of my information

yash777

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got an International One X 3 weeks back and I was facing the same problem. My phone would hardly last 6 hours with continuous wifi and moderate browsing with screen time of around 3 hours. I was also compelled to buy the ultimate version of Juice Defender. After browsing some threads some people suggested getting rid of the weather widget. I have been experimenting with different settings since a few days and only today I got rid of the weather widget and installed the fancy widgets. Look at the difference it made :cool:

I am using a live wallpaper, auto sync, music on and also poor reception in the following screenshots.

This is after I installed Fancy widget and got rid of the default weather widget:

2012-11-15193929.png

This is after I the got the weather widget back on the home screen

2012-11-15194233.png

And this is after I removed the weather widget again.

2012-11-15195119.png

My battery dropped from 84% to 80% in about 5 mins after getting the default weather widget on my home screen, whereas it remained on 85% without the widget for 46 mins(1st image)

Absolutely shocking how HTC still hasn't addressed this. I was contemplating returning this phone because of the piss poor battery life but thankfully I've found a fix after researching. I love this phone and its even better now :D

Let us know if this works!

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I just got an International One X 3 weeks back and I was facing the same problem. My phone would hardly last 6 hours with continuous wifi and moderate browsing with screen time of around 3 hours. I was also compelled to buy the ultimate version of Juice Defender. After browsing some threads some people suggested getting rid of the weather widget. I have been experimenting with different settings since a few days and only today I got rid of the weather widget and installed the fancy widgets. - - Let us know if this works!
*cut the quote a bit for space, see above post

As I said earlier, I am still tinkering with it and testing out different things and fortunately I can charge my phone while I am at work.

Today I am turning off
  • auto sync
  • wifi (the signal is not nearly as good at work on my hox as it is on my optimus s which could be increasing the drain)
  • removed the weather widget and turned off the auto sync weather when the widget is loaded and set to have it sync every 6 hours
  • disabling google maps until i need to use it

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How did you change the weather sync option? I couldn't find that one. And how did you disable maps?
For me, the maps thing is unnecessary because even though it says the maps are draining the batt, it's really the weather, but ymmv.

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
How did you change the weather sync option? I couldn't find that one. And how did you disable maps?
For me, the maps thing is unnecessary because even though it says the maps are draining the batt, it's really the weather, but ymmv.

Find the weather sync stuff under settings_accounts & sync_weather - And disabling maps settings_apps_select all tab_google maps then uninstall updates and then find it again and you can disable it.

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Find the weather sync stuff under settings_accounts & sync_weather - And disabling maps settings_apps_select all tab_google maps then uninstall updates and then find it again and you can disable it.

Ooohhhh, cool. I didn't know you could do that. Would there be any advantage to disabling the bloatware apps that I don't use?

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I personally disabled a lot of the apps I don't use. A lot of them I noticed were starting automatically and saw them in my task manager. Like I would never use the car app (saw running), live tv, att hotspot (often running), etc.

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Is it normal for the screen to consistently use 65-70% of the battery? Brightness is set to 25%. Added two screenshots.
y4e9y2e2.jpg

2y9atapa.jpg

vejyzasu.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes.
Screen is the biggest battery user. Those numbers are perfectly normal.
You had your screen lit up for 3 and a half hours. That's relatively long.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I like easy battery saver for this. The only setting I use for it is the one that adjusts screen brightness.
It does that pretty well for me while the stock setting doesn't, and now my screen uses a lot less power.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
*#*#4636#*#* will allow you to access the radio band setting on the att version

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure any changes made there stick? In my experience they revert very quickly.

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure any changes made there stick? In my experience they revert very quickly.

Which changes?

@Acles003 The screen uses the most batt but there may be something going on because nothing else is using much power.
Did you just have the screen on the whole time? There is a thing someone mentioned where the screen doesn't turn off correctly and uses a lot of battery. Three Hours of screen time is good, but it seems like you would have something else running, unless you just like looking at your wall paper a lot...

mrbro0ks

May 12, 2011
Visit site
It seems like whenever I'm playing game, even just a simple running game the battery seems get to excessively hot. When I have the phone charging and playing a game it can get upwards of 119f. Is there something that I'm missing?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
It seems like whenever I'm playing game, even just a simple running game the battery seems get to excessively hot. When I have the phone charging and playing a game it can get upwards of 119f. Is there something that I'm missing?

I was playing minecraft and noticed the same thing, I think it comes with the territory.

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
got to say as long as i stay away from games its fine. 5 email accounts ,weather, wifi always on, location should add stock4.0.4 unrooted

Attachments

• 2012-11-17 16.06.06.png
    2012-11-17 16.06.06.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2012-11-17 16.06.21.png
    2012-11-17 16.06.21.png
    188 KB · Views: 35

mrbro0ks

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I was playing minecraft and noticed the same thing, I think it comes with the territory.

I don't mind it coming with the territory but what's the point of having a phone this powerful if we can't fully use it. The phone overheats when playing a simple game and then gets to the point where it won't even charge. As great as the phone is I'm really questioning if I'm going to keep it. I had a vivid previously and could play nba jam while charging and downloading updates with no problem. This was supposed to be a upgrade but I feel like I can barely even use my phone like I used too. Just from typing this and charging I'm at 98f.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12