Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Data Issues HOX on Straight Talk

This afternoon my data stopped working on straight talk. I have the international hox and I know my apn settings are right because it was working this morning. Anyways, when I was on my lunch break I noticed that my connection said "disconnected because service is unavailable." So I tried resetting my apn, factory reset, still no luck. I used 1.6 gigs of data within a 20 day period, could ST ban my data? I have used 2-3 gigs in the past with no issues. I also live 20 miles from my work so I assumed maybe a tower was down but when I got home no luck.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Data Issues HOX on Straight Talk-uploadfromtaptalk1352761047368.jpg  

Default Re: Data Issues HOX on Straight Talk

I'm betting Straight Talk is the only bunch likely to be able to answer this.

Which carrier were you using (straight talk is nothing but a bulk reseller of other carriers.
    I'm guessing it was AT&T due to your using the international version.

Do be aware however, that Straight Talk's unlimited plan is not in fact unlimited.
    Be careful with MVNO plans, their unlimited plans are limited too | ZDNet
    Straight Talk's $45 Unlimited Everything BYOP Plan

They also don't allow Audio or Video streaming, (YouTube included from what I understand).

See term number 6 on this page:
    Terms and Conditions
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    I'm betting Straight Talk is the only bunch likely to be able to answer this.

Which carrier were you using (straight talk is nothing but a bulk reseller of other carriers.
    I'm guessing it was AT&T due to your using the international version.

Do be aware however, that Straight Talk's unlimited plan is not in fact unlimited.
    Be careful with MVNO plans, their unlimited plans are limited too | ZDNet
    Straight Talk's $45 Unlimited Everything BYOP Plan

They also don't allow Audio or Video streaming, (YouTube included from what I understand).

See term number 6 on this page:
    Terms and Conditions
    Like icebike said,their unlimited plans arnt unlimited. Cricket,virgin mobile,boost mobile,all the prepaid carries have sort of restrictions. Boost and cricket give you 2.5Gbs of Full speed data meaning you go over that and your gonna be throttled,you won't get charged extra but you sure won't find yourself streaming stuff all the time anymore. I assume straight talk does too,I don't know their full speed data cap.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x(:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have the AT&T sim and Thanks for your input. Another member here said he averages 3-4 gigs with no problems with an AT&T sim.

I hope I didn't get caught using my WiFi tethering. I downloaded windows 8 via hotspot for my pc because my uverse is so slow :banghead:

Windows 8 is like 4 gigs. It comes on a dvd.
    I think you found your answer.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

so you cant stream using google play music on straight talk? whatta rip are there any good prepaid alternatives to straight talk that will give you good data speeds with the hox?

Quote Originally Posted by robertelkins View Post
    so you cant stream using google play music on straight talk? whatta rip are there any good prepaid alternatives to straight talk that will give you good data speeds with the hox?
    You might get away with Google Music, because it's not a true streamer.
    Its a download, then play, and download the next song in the background sort of thing.
    (Prove this to yourself by wait till a song starts playing and pop to airplane mode. Song continues. Maybe the next one too.)

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    You might get away with Google Music, because it's not a true streamer.
    Its a download, then play, and download the next song in the background sort of thing.
    (Prove this to yourself by wait till a song starts playing and pop to airplane mode. Song continues. Maybe the next one too.)

that actually makes since. right now with .03 mbps downloads i can use google play music so even if they throttle me after 100mb a day to like .15-.25 download speeds ill survive.. lol was just worried about the whole no streaming or your service is 100% shut off thing. thanks for the insight buddy.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

sense* lol
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yeah, I used the 14.99 upgrade and purchased the dvd and didn't want to wait for the it to come in the mail. I downloaded 1 gig off my HOX. That's dumb that they gave me no warning. Oh well.

Edit: Well I contacted straight talk and they said my data limit was fine. They resetted my account and my data started working again. I don't know what resetting my account actually does.

Last edited by DBCOOPER1971; 11-13-2012 at 09:34 PM.