Exchanged Galaxy SIII for HTC One X after only 10 minutes with wife's HOX

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Only had the Samsung for two days, and was helping the wife set up her new HOX. She'd never had an Android, and I'd never had an HTC, but now I think I understand what all the fuss is about (i.e why HTC fans are so passionate about their devices).
  1. The HOX just felt much more solid and substantial than the GSIII. The build quality is fantastic and a step above the Samsgung, which was slippery and "plasticky".
  2. That screen...oh, that screen. It is simply whiter than the GSIII. I compared it to several, including a couple of sales guys' GSIII's in the store. The Samsung had a bluish/greyish tint to it. Subtle but consistent across devices. I probably would have never noticed if I hadn't looked at the wife's HOX. Side by side, it was unmistakable.
  3. The screen, part deux. Definitely brighter and easier to see in bright light. The GSIII didn't seem as bright as my GSII was in bright light. When I saw it next to wifey's HOX, there as no doubt. The HTC was obviously brighter and looked markedly better.
  4. Love the OS (Sense 4.0?) so much better than TouchWiz. It is just so much more refined, smooth, and sophisticated imho.
  5. The crappy (non-functioning) display models at the store did not do this phone justice, nor do all the online reviews and pictures. Despite the glowing remarks about how attractive this device was, I just didn't see it...until I held the real thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me, this phone is simply gorgeous.

So those are the main reasons I switched. I hesitated due to the non-expandable 16mb and the non-replaceable battery. But in the end, the pros outweighed the cons. Most of my storage is in the cloud now anyway, and I've had very, very good battery life so far.

I'm still within my 30 days (Best Buy) so I may exchange it for the HOX+ this weekend since it'll be out then. But no question about it: I'm an HTC fan now.

Just thought I'd share some positive feedback from an HTC virgin.

ToxicWaste

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
One X is my first Android phone and its the best phone I've ever owned (long time iPhone owner). The OS is something Apple fan boys ripped on. Not sure why since ios is a dud compared to Androids OS.

I also picked a HOX over the S3 for many of the same reasons you stated and also for its uni-body construction. S3 felt cheap in my hands. Glad you own an HTC now.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Just like you, OP. Except I spent a good 3 weeks with the S3. I miss all the software features, the removable battery and SD card, but I've been managing fine with my One X. Traded my S3 in for lag and overheating issues :p I will agree the screen here is awesome. I love not having to hunt for shade just to read my phone :)

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Switched from the s3 too cause I missed sense 4.0. It really is that awesome. :D My battery life has been on the ehhh side but no biggy. :) And you say the one x+ is conning out this weekend.. might I ask where you are.? Not the United states correct.?

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

bbdub

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I am with you! I had the One X and like a fool I traded it in for a GS3. I loved my GS2 and thought I would regret not getting the 3. What I regretted was getting rid of the HOX. I have been waiting for the HOX+ to release and finally on at&t it will be this Friday. I am selling the GS3 and getting the HOX+. Can't wait!

Peter FUTO

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have one x + for a week now.What amazing rocket...I had before samsung wave s8500,and it is like go from renault clio to bmw M5.:)So much better....I also choose HOX + over Galaxy S3.So many people having SG3.And I dont like that cheap feeling of it.Otherwise both really good phones.But HOX just looks much more serious and solid.

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been a lurker on these forums for about 2 months now. I was a iPhone fan and with AT&T, then the contract let me update phones. I looked at the new ones then picked a Samsung "Rugby" tried it for a few days and said the ***l with this . I exchanged for a HTC one x and the Android stuff. There is no comparison between iphone and the Android system. Tons of apps that Apple don't have plus Apple seems to want to dominate what app is "appropriate" for their phone regardless of who owns the phone. Screen is a thousand times better than the iphone's even with the retina display. I have yet to discover all the "good " stuff with the HTC and I have a few annoyances such as the phone and the phone book. Seems for some reason I keep getting "contacts" that I didn't put in there . The "widgets " are something new and kinda nice like the weather app widget on the home page with the clock. More wall papers than the Apple and better too. Just seems a better phone all around than the Apple products for me any ways. Easier to navigate to for a 65 y/o guy.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Exchanged Galaxy S3 for HTC One X after only 10 minutes with wife's HOX

The one x is plenty fast for me. All I like about the one x+ is the 64gb of storage.

That and the quad-core processor would be the main reasons to switch for me. Everything else is fantastic, and it would sort of future proof it for me at least a little bit more. (Disclaimer: Nothing is really ever future proof wrt smartphones.)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
That and the quad-core processor would be the main reasons to switch for me. Everything else is fantastic, and it would sort of future proof it for me at least a little bit more. (Disclaimer: Nothing is really ever future proof wrt smartphones.)
Quad-core is becoming more popular in the smartphone industry so it actually would. :)
Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

ToxicWaste

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Do you have your contacts stored in multiple places? If so your phone syncs with them all. I had to go through and delete all the duplicates.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have been a lurker on these forums for about 2 months now. I was a iPhone fan and with AT&T, then the contract let me update phones. I looked at the new ones then picked a Samsung "Rugby" tried it for a few days and said the ***l with this . I exchanged for a HTC one x and the Android stuff. There is no comparison between iphone and the Android system. Tons of apps that Apple don't have plus Apple seems to want to dominate what app is "appropriate" for their phone regardless of who owns the phone. Screen is a thousand times better than the iphone's even with the retina display. I have yet to discover all the "good " stuff with the HTC and I have a few annoyances such as the phone and the phone book. Seems for some reason I keep getting "contacts" that I didn't put in there . The "widgets " are something new and kinda nice like the weather app widget on the home page with the clock. More wall papers than the Apple and better too. Just seems a better phone all around than the Apple products for me any ways. Easier to navigate to for a 65 y/o guy.

the contacts sync with Gmail and face book so you just simply need to go to the media center and disable the Facebook and Google Gmail adding to your contacts I haven't used sense 4.0 but if its like 3.0 should be about the same?

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the "bright" side. Always glad to see a seasoned citizen embrace technology. Heck, I'm middle-aged myself (46 y/o).

Regarding your contacts issue, go into your Contacts, tap on the "Phonebook" menu on the top left of the screen, and check/uncheck whichever accounts/locations you don't want to see on your main list. You'll also see in parentheses how many contacts you have in each of those locations. In addition, if you tap on the Menu button, there are some really nice contact management features. You can Merge, Import/Export, De-Duplicate, Copy, and Block contacts. Check them out...they've already helped me out several times as I've tried getting all my contacts squared away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon