RIP HTC One X Plus

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Long story short: Bluetooth sound (on my end, the listening end, not the other end) sounded terrible. Took it back to AT&T today. They tried:

1. My phone
  2. Another new phone
  3. The phone on display
  4. Tried all the phones with my Plantronics Voyager Pro HD
  5. Tried all the phones with my Plantronics Savor M1100
  6. Tried all the phones with a new Motorola BT headset from the store
  7. Tried all the phones with a different new BT headset from the store
  8. Tried all the phones with a Jawbone BT boombox speaker from the store
The sales person and the store manager both confirmed the terrible sound on the BT receiver of *all three devices*. This could be a major design or manufacturing flaw on the HOX+, unless this particular store just got a bad batch of them.

Sadly, I had no choice but to turn it back in. I swapped it out for the Galaxy Note II. It cost me $100 more, and the screen isn't quite as bright/white, but it's very smooth and pretty damn cool. I've had very good luck with Samsung in the past. I have really big hands too, so after a few days, I'm sure it will feel normal.

It's really too bad. I LOVED the look and feel of the HOX+. Oh well.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Prepare to look at every other phone from this point on as a little toy. It's like going from driving a big rig to a smart car, ish gets cramped.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Prepare to look at every other phone from this point on as a little toy. It's like going from driving a big rig to a smart car, ish gets cramped.

I assume you meant going the other direction, from a smart car to a big rig? But point taken...I'm pretty excited about exploring this device when I get home from work. Really wish the HOX+ didn't have that bug. :-(

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it's a software issue with the new sense... It'll be taken care of in time-- but you picked the right phone, the note II is sick!

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I assume you meant going the other direction, from a smart car to a big rig? But point taken...I'm pretty excited about exploring this device when I get home from work. Really wish the HOX+ didn't have that bug. :-(

No I mean once you get used to the Note 2 and look at smaller phones. lol

One X+ looked like a great device, I wasn't all that impressed with it in the store and I've read of the various issues with the One X so I didn't want to take the chance. I figured I may play around with the Lumia 920 but that phone from what I've been reading is a friggin train wreck. I also wish HTC kept the red accents for the US model because our offering looks so "blah".

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
No I mean once you get used to the Note 2 and look at smaller phones. lol

One X+ looked like a great device, I wasn't all that impressed with it in the store and I've read of the various issues with the One X so I didn't want to take the chance. I figured I may play around with the Lumia 920 but that phone from what I've been reading is a friggin train wreck. I also wish HTC kept the red accents for the US model because our offering looks so "blah".

Agree on the red accents. It's funny because I read a review somewhere that said the US version looked better because it DIDN'T have the red accents. Like you, I felt the device looked very plain without them. I guess beauty is, indeed, in the eye of the beholder.

As for the Note II...I'm digging it so far. Gonna have fun with it tonight! :D

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Agree on the red accents. It's funny because I read a review somewhere that said the US version looked better because it DIDN'T have the red accents. Like you, I felt the device looked very plain without them. I guess beauty is, indeed, in the eye of the beholder.
As for the Note II...I'm digging it so far. Gonna have fun with it tonight! :D

you can watch all kinds of .... stuff with that screen. :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Long story short: Bluetooth sound (on my end, the listening end, not the other end) sounded terrible. Took it back to AT&T today. They tried:

1. My phone
  2. Another new phone
  3. The phone on display
  4. Tried all the phones with my Plantronics Voyager Pro HD
  5. Tried all the phones with my Plantronics Savor M1100
  6. Tried all the phones with a new Motorola BT headset from the store
  7. Tried all the phones with a different new BT headset from the store
  8. Tried all the phones with a Jawbone BT boombox speaker from the store
The sales person and the store manager both confirmed the terrible sound on the BT receiver of *all three devices*. This could be a major design or manufacturing flaw on the HOX+, unless this particular store just got a bad batch of them.

Sadly, I had no choice but to turn it back in. I swapped it out for the Galaxy Note II. It cost me $100 more, and the screen isn't quite as bright/white, but it's very smooth and pretty damn cool. I've had very good luck with Samsung in the past. I have really big hands too, so after a few days, I'm sure it will feel normal.

It's really too bad. I LOVED the look and feel of the HOX+. Oh well.

Can I ask why you didn't go with the S3, the Nexus 4 or the DNA?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Sparkius

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This isn't my experience; I just paired with some Bluetooth headphones and the sound for music is fine (volume and clarity). Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone reads this post and uses it to weigh their decision.

If I notice a problem after using them for a call I will update my post.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Bluetooth I ha ent used blue tooth a inch I had a head set 3 years ago. Well Bluetooth is all about compresion. It compress it and sends it over a 2 or 3 bit per second stream. Then recompressed over on the paired devices end. Now that being said it could of been a compression issue. THE MOST PREPLEXING THING ABOUT THIS IS THE SALES PEOPLE GET A COMMISION. SO IF YOU PAY THE RESTOCK FEE PLUS 100 FOR THE HANDSET. THEY WILL KISS YOUR ASS ,DO THEIR DAMDEST TO GET YOU TO PAY MORE$$$

WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MY ONE X PLUS

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask why you didn't go with the S3, the Nexus 4 or the DNA?

Sure. I started with the S3 before I switched to the HOX because I liked the wife's so much better than the S3. After having that, I wanted to upgrade to the HOX+ while still in my 14 days. After the bluetooth problems, I thought about the S3, but I kept looking at that Note II. The more I looked at it and handled it, the more I liked it. As I've gotten older, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and I could see the screen so much better. Plus I thought the s-pen features could be of some use, so I took the plunge. So far, I'm really happy.

The Nexus 4 would have been the same size as the S3 and HOX+, and would've cost more than either, though no contract required. If I was gonna do that, I probably would've gone with the Optimus G on contract. The DNA wasn't on AT&T, though I know it can be set up to use on it without LTE. Since I have 5 devices on my family contract with AT&T, I didn't want to go through a switch. I'm happy with AT&T. That said, the DNA looks like a fantastic device and if it were on AT&T I probably would've gone with that.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Bluetooth I ha ent used blue tooth a inch I had a head set 3 years ago. Well Bluetooth is all about compresion. It compress it and sends it over a 2 or 3 bit per second stream. Then recompressed over on the paired devices end. Now that being said it could of been a compression issue. THE MOST PREPLEXING THING ABOUT THIS IS THE SALES PEOPLE GET A COMMISION. SO IF YOU PAY THE RESTOCK FEE PLUS 100 FOR THE HANDSET. THEY WILL KISS YOUR ASS ,DO THEIR DAMDEST TO GET YOU TO PAY MORE$$$

WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MY ONE X PLUS

FWIW, I didn't have to pay any restocking fee since it was an observable and repeatable defect in those particular devices.

Also, I'm pretty experienced with bluetooth. I've had probably 30 to 40 of them since 2006. This is the first one (actually three) that has ever done this, so it's not like I haven't tried.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This isn't my experience; I just paired with some Bluetooth headphones and the sound for music is fine (volume and clarity). Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone reads this post and uses it to weigh their decision.

If I notice a problem after using them for a call I will update my post.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Did you try a regular mono bluetooth headset and talking with someone on the other end? Not doubting your story, just curious if it makes a difference with headphones vs. a headset.

smartas

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I spend the better part of two hours testing every HOX+ (=3)in my local AT&T store hoping to get lucky. As elaborated in the XDA Dev responses this seems to be a significant failure of HTC BT implementation. I have a Bose BT headset and the store tested all of their personal headsets as well with the same poor voice quality. In all five different headsets.
I can't wait until HTC decides to fix the basics and as much as I like this phone if I can't use it for a phone call then it'd failing its primary mission... Back to the apple Eco system...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I spend the better part of two hours testing every HOX+ (=3)in my local AT&T store hoping to get lucky. As elaborated in the XDA Dev responses this seems to be a significant failure of HTC BT implementation. I have a Bose BT headset and the store tested all of their personal headsets as well with the same poor voice quality. In all five different headsets.
I can't wait until HTC decides to fix the basics and as much as I like this phone if I can't use it for a phone call then it'd failing its primary mission... Back to the apple Eco system...

HTC isn't the only phone available. Why not just buy a different phone?

SDave1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Same problems here. I just bought a OneX+ and the sound quality for calls over bluetooth is awful. I've connected with 2 different headsets (Bose and Planetronics) and to my Ford Sync system. In each case the sound quality on my end is so bad that I can't make out many words - very distorted and garbled.

I know that each device works fine as I was just using them on my other HTC phone up until yesterday.

Music sounds fine - just calls are affected. I have tried with and without Beats enabled.

Gionfriddo

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...

I have a 2010 Mazda 3S.

My Apple i-Phone 3GS paired fine, and worked amazing with the car's Bluetooth.
My HTC Inspire (Desire) 4G paired fine, but stopped working reliably with the car's Bluetooth.
Trusting that HTC would fix the issue, I bought the HTC One X+...​

WRONG!
The phone, wouldn't even pair or discover the car... after 3 hours, and a lot of google, I found others gave up.​

Gionfriddo

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Good news... I tried it again last night, and it worked!

Could be because of any 3 possibilities:
1.) The night I originally tried, it was sub 20deg F outside and the car needed to be warmer for the BT to work​
2.) I deleted all of the other phones from the Mazda Bluetooth​
3.) I tried to reset the BT of my car following this random dude's weird instructions... "you need to hold down radio power button, 5 and seek down (all 3 together) for a minimum of 2 seconds, then AUTO M and 2 for a few seconds, should show cleared on the display then Bluetooth is reset back to factory for you." but I never saw any update on the screen.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams