Proximity Detector Glowing = Possible Battery drain?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I noticed my International HTC ONE X (not At&T model) had its Proximity detector glowing for a couple hours yesterday.
I was surprised to see it glowing, because I've never seen this before in all the months I've had the phone. It glows a dull red.
Normally, the only time this glows is when you are actually in a phone call.

I managed to get shot of it:

IMG_20121205_224459-small.jpg

In this photo, I was not in a call, and the phone is sitting in the dock.

It shows kind of purple in the photo, but it is really a dull red.

You can see it in a darkened room when its on, or you can see it REALLY easy by looking at
the phone thru a camera. (I used my old Nexus One to make these shots of the HTC One x.)

Normally this should be off, unless you are in a call. It should look like this:

IMG_20121205_225717-small.jpg

But mine was glowing for hours, and my battery was getting low faster than usual.
I hadn't been in a call for several hours. I have no clue just how long it had been glowing.

So you guys posting about rapid battery drain, take a look at your phone's proximity sensor
and see if you can see it glowing.

Hint: Use a camera if its hard to see. No other camera handy? Switch to the front camera and hold
the phone 6 inches from a mirror. Look for a purple bright spot like in photo 1.)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Could be. Mine doesn't glow that bright even in a call,its a duller red(AT&T model) It might be possible. I used to have that problem of the sensor staying on on my old motorla photon. As for battery life,it may be your reason why your getting bad battery. If I'm right,the sensor uses battery to well..sense the proximity from your head to your phone lol. I don't think the ambient light one uses any at all,quick question,when you put your hand or head near the sensor does it turn off the display.?

My one x is better then your one x!!
/
D:
\

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Right SenseMonkey, as I mentioned, it really is a dull red. When you look at it through a camera, or take a picture of it, it looks very bright and kind of purplish.

I normally have good battery life.
But the day this happened I didn't, and happened to notice the sensor lit up.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2