HTC one x jelly bean mount as disc problem

slowmomomo

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello.
I upgraded my one x to jelly bean.
Before that, when I connect the device with my computer (macbook with osx 10.5.8) I could choose if I want to charge the phone or mount it as disc.

Now in jelly bean this option is gone and I cannot mount it as disc.
It shows as "usb connected" in the notification bar. When I tap there it leads me into the "portable hotspot and tethering" settings. Tethering works by the way.

Sometimes it mounts a DVD drive icon on my computer when I connect the phone, with the install file for the HTC manager, but I cannot install it because my osx version is too old (and I don't want to use the management software anyway)

Please help. I want to upload new music to my phone !

slowmomomo

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I just found out that the One x looses the easy plug and play option of disc mounting after you update to JB.

At xda someone recommends to use Solid Explorer File Transfer app and then connect to the phone via ftp through wifi.
Works fine... So I guess I will stick with that.

Ps: android file transfer, the osx program you can download from android.com does not work.

Luke Flegg

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
ing abysmal. WHYYYY do updates REMOVE features that people like?
I'm trying to copy over some pictures and videos and can't see the thumbnails any more. HTC you fools! Speak to your customers instead of telling them what they want.

mutantlego

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem too, my HTC used to connect to my Samsung smart tv but now dosnt recognise it. And I can't see thumbnails either on my pc. Really really annoying. This may be a stupid question question but is it possible to undo the update? Why are there no longer options to connect to pc or charge, this just seemstotally stupid???
Anyone got a fix?

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep... Just right click the icon that appears in your toolbar "safe remove hardware" and click update drivers, once it is done, the one x should show up as a media device in my computer

Ahmad Adee

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
i m using HOX for more than a month. I updated for JB 2 week before. I worked fine but now it somtimes starts giving a slight issue of screen freezing for swipe (just a part not complete). it does not work for Music buttons. for other purposes it works fine. Any help?

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep... Just right click the icon that appears in your toolbar "safe remove hardware" and click update drivers, once it is done, the one x should show up as a media device in my computer
As he says, JB , changes the way the device connects to the PC. Install HTC sync manager , it will install the drivers , then you can go to the "My computer" icon and find MY HTC as a drive under media . It will show along with C: , flash drives, external drives, etc. Click that icon for the phone and you will be able to view the files on the phone. After installing the drivers ,on windows 7, you can go to "control panel" > default programs>find "change auto play settings>scroll to the bottom or find "devices" listed, HTC XL or similar should be listed , from the drop down, check "ask me everytime". Then, when you plug the phone in to the PC a "pop up" menu will appear and you can choose to "view files" , transfer, play media , etc.

Bengtld

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
Google's solution in the link above only deals with Mac.
I want to connect my HTC One SV with JB 4.1 as discdrive to my job computer (XP from 2008), where I'm not allowed to install HTC Sync or any drives or software what so ever.
The option Disc unit is gone on the mobile since JB.
Anyone can solve that, or waiting for Google to change back on 4.2 or 5...?

Chris John Willis

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi, first time for using this site, so apols for any oversights - I'm not seeing the "safe remove hardware" - can you pin point this for me. Sorry not the sharpest tool in the box for pc's! Thanks!

vinit agarwal

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
hey i too occured same problem with htc one x...so how to plug directly to macbook to transfer files ....etc.
please solve it as earlist as possiple
regards vinit,
thanking you.

runoono

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've partially read the replies and think that you didn't know this:
HTC phones use a relatively stock android rom right?
I'm using CM10.1 which is also very similar to the stock rom and I had this problem so here's what you do
you go to storage then press menu button which you'll see the option " USB computer connection"
press that the mass storage option.
keep in mind that mass storage option will
A. automatically engage upon connecting your phone to your pc
B. will disable ringtones and notifications with missing file sound

Hope this helps

Luke Flegg

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure this is a google thing, not HTC. Throw your flames where you want of course, but MTP is the way Google is doing things going forward. I am not sure WHY, but aim the blame where it deserves to go ;).

EDIT- Here is the WHY: Ice Cream Sandwich explained: MTP - what is it, why use it, and how to set it up | Android Central

Fair. But I thought HTC modified the Google OS. That's what 'Sense UI' is, no? So I would've thought they would've made some of these poor design decisions with the OS, or at least had the power to address them?