Poor battery when it comes to Phone Calls

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_2012-12-15-10-10-36.png
Screenshot_2012-12-15-10-10-40.png

I have only had this phone for 5 days now and not that much of a talker over the phone but I am completely baffled about the very low battery life on phone calls I was only on the phone for 20 some minutes and it dropped almost 20 percent. I thought this phone was supposed to have a 8 hour battery life of full talk time. With what I'm getting now I wouldn't be able to manage a 3 hour phone call without the phone dying. My old HTC Inspire 4g had excellent phone call battery life what happened to this one? it was still at 100 percent before making the phone call and when I looked at the battery indicator I saw that it had already dropped a significant amount in the little time I made the phone time.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
5 days.

So first, you want to run the battery down to automatic shutoff. Then charge fully overnight.
Then use normally, charging when you can, but not worrying about it.

I've found that if you have wifi around, all the data shifts to wifi, which turns the cellular data connection off. Its a lot easier and less battery intensive to talk to the wifi router within 30 feet, than it is to talk to the cell tower a couple miles away.

Secondly, the discharge of this type of battery is not linear. Discharge from full to 80% happens much faster than discharge from 80% to 60%.
This is due to something called self discharge in LiPoly cells. So you might be measuring the self discharge rate rather than the actual talk time.

I've had days that I'm on the phone for well over 5 hours and still had a lot of battery left. Well over 50%.
The key is to keep the screen off as much as possible while in the call. I often use earbuds on long calls with the phone screen off and the phone in my shirtpocket or on the desk.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I know to let the phone all the way down. I have had many androids and know never to report bad battery or any battery life unless you did 3 complete battery drains. Also I don't have WiFi near by either. But when I'm not using the data I turn it off. So far ANY voice call kills my phone big time no matter if I'm on hspa+ or edge

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's also known that voice calls are heavy battery users. As is the display. This isn't uncommon. Doesn't really seem out of the norm to me.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I know to let the phone all the way down. I have had many androids and know never to report bad battery or any battery life unless you did 3 complete battery drains. Also I don't have WiFi near by either. But when I'm not using the data I turn it off. So far ANY voice call kills my phone big time no matter if I'm on hspa+ or edge

On voice calls, you are on neither HSPA nor edge. Voice goes by simple GSM.
If data is off, as you say, all you have is GSM, which doesn't allow data.
Once you turn data off, you no longer have a smart phone.

Now the battery intensity of voice is dictated strictly by distance to tower and shielding, like inside of buildings, aluminum siding on homes.
For the record, AT&T claims 8 hours of talk time. HTC One X - Gray cell phone from AT&T

I can see the towers from my house, which may be why I get better talk time figures than you.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair