1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Default google voice question?

this maybe a stupid question but im new to android so ill just ask it..
    i have a htc one x plus and i use google voice for texting n under "settings" there is an option to receive text messages "Via the messaging app".. now if i pick that.. would they charge me for regular text? because i dont have a texting plan.

thank you

Default Re: google voice question?

Yes, yes they would. If you select that, The Goog basically forwards the SMS from your Voice number, to your phone's standard messaging app. You need to keep it to Voice.

And no, there is no better app to use with better options/features, which is where I presume you are going with this . There is the Google Voice SMS Integration app ($4), but that does not work properly on Sense for me. It does work with CM, but it is not terribly reliable over time. The best I was able to do, was search out an inverted (aka darkened/holo'd) Google Voice app. Light on dark at least, instead of the eye searing dark on white like normal.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

also when its connected to wifi.. its not so reliable even when i chose to keep my wifi on "always"

Quote Originally Posted by henilp89 View Post
    also when its connected to wifi.. its not so reliable even when i chose to keep my wifi on "always"
    I don't have any special trouble on wifi, but then I have never had the wifi problems that crop up here from time to time. I HAVE seen where Voice will lose "sync", leave messages queued up and not send them for a while. Or receive. At least some of this unreliability I believe to come from Google's side. Make sure you have the latest version, as it supposedly specifically dealt with sync issues. Sometimes, I think Voice just happens to notice when your data connection is iffy first. The problem is with your data connection period, but it LOOKS like a Voice problem. Other times, it IS a Voice issue.

It is good enough in my case though, to be worth saving 20-30 bucks a month. Pays for the phone.