Just Switched From and iPhone

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I finally did it. I got rid of my 4S and replaced it with a One X+. So far I am absoluetely loving it. Just wondering of a few first tips.

1) To Root or not to Root? Pretty basic, is it worth it to root the phone?

2) Anything important I should download? I have a backup App and I am using doubletwist Pro to sync my media. What about email. I am using a iCloud email and a Dal (Dalhousie University) email account on the device. Are there any apps that are marginally better than the stock client?

3) Sideloading apps? Can it be done on this device. If so how?

4) Anything else general I should know when first getting into android?

Thanks in advance guys and I am proud to say I can finally be part of the community.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I finally did it. I got rid of my 4S and replaced it with a One X+. So far I am absoluetely loving it. Just wondering of a few first tips.

1) To Root or not to Root? Pretty basic, is it worth it to root the phone?

2) Anything important I should download? I have a backup App and I am using doubletwist Pro to sync my media. What about email. I am using a iCloud email and a Dal (Dalhousie University) email account on the device. Are there any apps that are marginally better than the stock client?

3) Sideloading apps? Can it be done on this device. If so how?

4) Anything else general I should know when first getting into android?

Thanks in advance guys and I am proud to say I can finally be part of the community.

1. Purely up to you. I personally am not rooted myself, as I am perfectly content with my phone's current capabilities. But if you like to tinker around with stuff, then rooting will be for you.

2. I see a lot of people raving about K-9 Mail as their client. I still use stock myself :p a couple good apps to download are CPUSpy and GSam Battery monitor, which is useful for pinpointing battery hogs should your battery life start acting funny.

3. Settings -> Security -> check Unknown Sources

4. Good thing to note is that your phone is running an OS that is much powerful than iOS. Widgets, live wallpapers, custom roms, I could go on and on... Be proud to be an Android owner :) and glad to have you aboard!

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I tried K-9 but to me it is a tad ugly, yes I know its a free open source project but it doesn't quite tickle my fancy. And as far as the sideloading, do I not need to be able to mount the device to my computer? I have yet to be able to do this with the HOX+.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I tried K-9 but to me it is a tad ugly, yes I know its a free open source project but it doesn't quite tickle my fancy. And as far as the sideloading, do I not need to be able to mount the device to my computer? I have yet to be able to do this with the HOX+.

Yeah, I agree. K9's just too darn fugly. And nope, you don't need to be able to mount to your PC.

Does your X+ show up on your PC at all? Try giving it a bit to install the drivers.

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
When I connect it some HTC sync crap appears. I have been using Doubletwist for media and then FTP to transfer things like ringtones. Is there anyway to sideload apps via FTP without rooting the phone? I am on a Mac by the way, I have a parallels windows if that helps. Can I mount in windows and not Mac?

robthesixthree

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem mounting to my mac. It just appears as a driver. What are you trying to upload? I bypass the whole iTunes sync crap I used to go through with my i phone by using Google play music, it automatically uploads your whole iTunes library to your phone. It's very convenient and it takes up no space. As far as email I stick with Gmail. It's reliable. If you have a old email account for business or what have you, you should be able to forward them to a Gmail account.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

ToxicWaste

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
When I connect it some HTC sync crap appears. I have been using Doubletwist for media and then FTP to transfer things like ringtones. Is there anyway to sideload apps via FTP without rooting the phone? I am on a Mac by the way, I have a parallels windows if that helps. Can I mount in windows and not Mac?

Go to settings, scroll to developer, select the option to allow USB Debugging.

When you plug your phone in, your computer should load drivers. You should also download HTC Sync Manager since it contains necessary drivers for the phone. I would highly recommend it.

Once plugged in, unlock your lock screen. Then you sill be prompted on how you want to use the phone. If you wish to "side load" but better known as drag and drop, select Mount As Storage. It should be the top right larger choice on your phone screen. From there you computer will recognize it as a storage device, making the sd card fully accessible. From there you can drag and drop whatever you want. Music, Roms, zips, pics and man don't forget game emulators, something Apple doesn't allow. Use a browser to download games directly to your phone!

Sadly about the mail app, its nice except for whiny Apple. Due to Apple suing HTC, they can't provide a clickable link, that's why many get K-9. Or just cut and paste the link and use the stock Brower or just select the text and then the view in browser function.

No need for using FTP protocol. Again, mount phone as storage when it's plugged into your computer. If you wish to get apps on your phone aside from using Google Play, simply visit their site with your browser of choice snd download from there. Also, keep this in mind-this phone acts very similar to your MAC or PC and has the capability to download just about anything from the Net through your browser. Get a file manager app-like File Manager. That way you can literally browse your phones sd card. Haha. Pretty nifty stuff! With that mind, beware where you visit with your phone. Like a computer, visiting unreputable sites can get you malware. Try Zoner, Avast! Or any other antivirus program you like and load it on your phone. Not as powerful as for a PC but better than nothing.

Since this is your first Android, like others said, it makes ios look like windows ME. With that said, get used to the power and capabilities STOCK. I owned mine for 3 months before I rooted snd flashed a custom Rom. You will find it hard to believe how powerful this phone can actually become. It's unreal. You would have to jailbreak an iPhone just to get it to slightly measure up to a stock One X. Hahaha. I'm saying all this because I like you had many iPhones till they disgusted me with the iPhone 5. What a joke.

So all in all, if you need questions answered of any kind, do not hesitate to ask. If you have questions regarding unlocking and rooting, ask in the ROMS & Hacks section. If you wish to take your curiosity deeper, we would all suggest you visit XDA Developers. www.xda.com. There's an app for them as well. Between these two sites--there's nothing you can't figure out or upgrade on your phone. Be aware unlocking voids your warranty, just like jailbreaking an iPhone would.

Have fun with your new phone!

Jon

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Well guys I really appreciate the help so far. However I still can not get this damn thing to mount. Debugging is enabled, it is plugged in. No prompt. Could it have something to do with me using the Telus version of the device?

ToxicWaste

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Well guys I really appreciate the help so far. However I still can not get this damn thing to mount. Debugging is enabled, it is plugged in. No prompt. Could it have something to do with me using the Telus version of the device?

Have you downloaded HTC Sync Manager? That program contains necessary drivers for many things related to your phone. For instance, if you wanted to root, the drivers needed for it are contained in that manager.

Have you also tried using a different USB port on your computer? Is your computer telling you it's installing any sort of driver and if so is it fail or success?

-------------
Also, check what defaults your phone has under Settings, Connect To PC select it. See what you have for default. Usually default is charge and Ask Me how to connect prompt should be checked.

We will get you there!

ViperXL w/ElementalX kernel

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Yea I installed the sync manager. I have tried both ports on my laptop with no avail. I can get the device to be recognized in windows when using Parallels but in my OSX (10.8) I can not seem to get it to mount. There is no option and I have enabled everything I need to. Is there any way to manually install drivers or something of that sort? Also as far as the rooting of the phone, is there any insight on one available?

Tabs85

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

When you first plug it in doesnt an options box open up asking if you want to use syc or set it up as an external drive etc? What about dragging down the notification bar (where you should be able to see the USB icon). Drag it down and you should be able to select USB options from there.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
When you first plug it in doesnt an options box open up asking if you want to use syc or set it up as an external drive etc? What about dragging down the notification bar (where you should be able to see the USB icon). Drag it down and you should be able to select USB options from there.
Nope, no prompt, in my bootcamp partition it works great. In OSX, nope. And as far as the notification part, nothing, there is USB option and a debugging option. The USB is only for tethering. My assumption is there are no drivers for OSX 10.8 yet.