Will root give me access to LTE controls?

a670

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I just upgraded from an old unlocked, rooted nexus 1 to a HOX. I really like the phone except for one problem. My house has very bad ATT reception and I keep missing calls when my phone is connected to LTE. I've done a lot of research in the past couple of days and I'm 99% sure its because of LTE. Unfortunately ATT has the radio controls locked down so its not possible to disable LTE on this phone.

1. If I root will I be able to disable LTE without installing a custom ROM?

2. Can ATT tell if I have rooted or installed a custom ROM?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes most ROMs do have a toggle to turn LTE on or off. At least on most devices, I can't verify this for certain on HTC but seeing how its been done on Samsung, Motorola, etc. I'd imagine the HOX is no different.

The only way ATT is going to know if your running a custom ROM or rooted is if you bring in your device for service while rooted & ROMed. That is why there is the restore to stock guides/tutorials for this matter.

a670

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Paul,
Do you know if it would be possible to turn off LTE using root access only? I ran my nexus 1 with a custom HTC sense rom for over 2 years. While it worked okay I really would like to avoid the hassle of trying all the various roms and associated headaches that go with it, especially since the HOX stock rom does does everything i need. Well, except control LTE:-\

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Can you get to this menu on stock?

I can force it to ignore lte from there, but I have always been rooted, so not sure if it is available. Not as easy as a toggle, but not buried.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356827158188.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356827158188.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 30
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356827175425.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356827175425.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 30

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Do you know if it would be possible to turn off LTE using root access only?
If someone has crafted together a specific widget I suppose so, but normally the coding involved to toggle the LTE on/off is more involved and its not possible in a simple widget to install while rooted thus they end up adding it and all the coding into a custom ROM.

a670

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Those settings are available using #*#*4636*#*#. Unfortunately any changes made do not stick.

Can you get to this menu on stock?

I can force it to ignore lte from there, but I have always been rooted, so not sure if it is available. Not as easy as a toggle, but not buried.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

a670

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Stability of the stock ROM is not an issue for me. I looked at that viper ROM and like most ROMs it has way too many tweaks and additions for my taste. Thats the reason why I really do not want to go the ROM route.
ViperXL is sense rom, and it is more stable than stock

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You could just leave the tweaks alone, it's still better than stock if you don't touch any tweaks.

Or you could go with viper 3.0 in the same thread, that's what I'm running now.. It's the JB sense release, no tweaks at all

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It's not that hard... If you don't want to hook it up to a PC, you can download flash GUI app to your phone, flash the rom in that, reboot to recovery> factory reset> install viper

ajp8806

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It's not that hard... If you don't want to hook it up to a PC, you can download flash GUI app to your phone, flash the rom in that, reboot to recovery> factory reset> install viper
A few things: According to the flash gui app, the One XL isn't supported (unless I missed it), 2nd: I don't mind using the pc, just not sure what file to put where. I have searched xda but can't find the sequence. Also, if I download the gui app, will that take care of the hboot problem automatically?

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It does support the one XL, the update in late November supports it. When you open the app, it will say "One XL detected" meaning that it works with the phone.

And if you flash in the app, reboot to recovery from the app> do a factory reset> then install rom.zip in TWRP, the phone will boot up into the rom... No need to fastboot anything : just make sure after wiping/factory resetting, you back out to the main menu of TWRP and install the rom

I've been using flash GUI with every rom that I've flashed.

ajp8806

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Please help, I downloaded the flash gui, copied the boot img to phone and flashed it, now the phone wont turn on. I can boot into recovery and restore, then it goes to htc screen with the red dev warning, and then nothing, the phone just goes black and won't turn on.

ajp8806

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
So I got into recovery and wiped, then did a clean install of Clean Rom 5.1, which is what I had before (switching between that and 2.4.0), and now it's back up and running. I'm sure I missed a step somewhere with the flash gui app.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you reboot to recovery and do a factory reset, then install the rom in recovery? << all this must be done after flashing the rom with flash GUI app if you have hboot 1.14

Edit: when flashing in GUI, you want to flash the ZIP not just the boot.img and then flash that same zip in recovery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol