HTC One X - Not connecting to Windows XP since Jelly Bean

gurraj_singh

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
My other half has the same UK Spec HTC One X 32GB as me. Both stock.

We both recently upgraded to Jelly Bean (on the o2-UK network).

I have Windows 8 on my desk top & everything runs fine when the phone is connected. Can browse through all the folders & files. Copy & paste what I need to over.

Her laptop is Windows XP (shes looking to buy a new one in a few months) & now the phone only shows up in My Computer under "Scanners & Cameras" as HTC One X. When you click on this, it opens into the folder and displays nothing. (Windows is set to display all hidden folders) On Windows XP it showed the "Found New Hardware" balloon, cycles through a few different things. Then states it may not have been installed properly. I have tried the different USB ports on it, same result. Even asked me to restart before it would start working properly.

While the phone is plugged in, in the My Computer window, under "Devices with Removable Storage"... "CD Drive (E:)" shows up. Unplug the phone and this icon is no longer shown. Clicking this "CD Drive (E:)" just pulls up a window showing "Please insert a disk into drive E:."

Once or twice when the phone is plugged in, under "Devices with Removable Storage" it shows "HTC Sync Manager E" (with the HTC Sync Manager Logo for an Icon) clicking this just loads up HTC Sync Manager.

Clicking the Safely Remove Hardware icon from the task bar shows a USB Mass Storage Device. Clicking Stop brings up a new window asking if I would like to stop USB Mass Storage Device or HTC Android Phone USB Device - (E:)

Is it just something that has been left out of Jelly Bean for it to stop working with XP? Anyone know of a work around for now till she does buy a new laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is what htc removed... I believe the proper term is MTL? Look under media devices in windows, should show up as a MP3 player or something like that. When I was running the JB sense that's how I accessed it-- it's always connected for charging and putting files on

gurraj_singh

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, I heard something about that.

I have done a little searching online regarding the MTP and Windows XP.

Some people had said that upgrading to Windows Media Player 11 fixed the problem. Some people said they installed it and then turned off debugging mode and it solved it.
Neither of these worked for me.

Then I tried this:
Connecting Google Nexus 7 to Windows XP Laptop : Solved | Alok Agrawal's Blog

and it still does not work :(

Last edited:

gurraj_singh

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Bizzle69 - Yeah, it looks like I will have to get her to use DropBox/AirDroid for now. Thanks

For anyone else with the issue, I also come across this method. It didn't work for me, but might work for you.

-- Download both the HTC Sync and HTC Sync Manager installation packages
-- Start the install for HTC Sync Manager. It will uninstall the drivers and installer, then stop with an error. Device Manager will show a icon for Android Phone with no driver. (use Show Hidden Devices to see it)
-- Without closing the error, start the install for HTC Sync and let it put the drivers back. Device Manager will show a lot of successful icons for disk drives, USB connections, and MY HTC with the phone.
-- NOW let the HTC Sync Manager install continue and complete.
-- Plug in the phone and let it open HTC Sync Manager. DO NOT LET HTC Sync Manager attempt to install any driver updates, as it will uninstall all of the old drivers, again.
-- give things time to sync and wait for the discovery of all media to conclude.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10