Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Touchscreen dead - How to access files on SD Card?

Hi there,

I recently had a water accident with my HTC One X. I've done the bag of rice, left it in the sun etc.

The phone itself turns on fine, notifications appear at the top of the screen. But the touchscreen is totally non responsive.

This means there is no way for me to enable "SD Card" mode instead of simply charging, when I plug it into my PC via USB. As a result, I am unable to get any of my files off of the phone.

Does anyone know a way of accessing the internal storage without using the touchscreen to change the USB mode? Perhaps some recovery method? Would be a bonus if I could get my contacts too.

Thanks

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Default Re: Touchscreen dead - How to access files on SD Card?

Try to get into your bootloader ... Hold power down and volume DOWN button down.. Once screen turns off, let go of power but keep holding volume DOWN button, down. Once the bootloader menu pops up (should be a white screen with "hboot 1.14" "Locked" toward the top).

If you can access this, use the volume keys to navigate up and down on the menu, and select fastboot. This should put your phone in fastboot USB and should say so above the menu.

I'm not entirely sure if this will allow you to access your sd card through the PC, but it's worth a shot
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Touchscreen dead - How to access files on SD Card?

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I did get into the menu described. When I select fastboot, I have another menu with hboot, reboot, reboot bootloader, and power down. Which is handy, because without a touchscreen i couldnt turn the phone off previously, so had to let the battery just run dead every time. When I choose hboot, it seems to try to do something with the SD card/USB, but says "USB master mode failed" a couple of times before going back to the original boot menu.

Looks like I'll be taking this one to a repair shop and seeing if it can be salvaged.