Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Default Re: HTC One X Jellybean (at&t)

Even though this is my first Android phone and the update experience is pathetic coming from the Apple world...I absolutely love my HOX, and ViperXL is the reason. My friend has a S3 with a custom ROM and it pales in comparison...they are jealous of my phone...I haven't experienced this kind of gadget envy since I was the only person I knew with an iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    loraque, tcm1969 and Bizzle69 like this.

Apple compares better to Google for phone OS upgrades, than HTC or Samsung... for obvious reasons. They, the both of them, keep the upgrading to themselves as a "cost" of allowing the vendors to sell them. The HTC's and Samsungs of the world however, are beholden to the carriers (the carriers are their customers after all, far more than we are).

I don't think HTC is really trying to keep everyone out of their phone, though they put more effort into it than Samsung does. They have to keep appearances up with the ATTs of the world that they are trying, but make no mistake, if they REALLY wanted us to not unlock the phone, we would not.

Samsung is no saint when it comes to upgrades either. This is the first android phone I have owned that is NOT Samsung (Captivate SGS1 and VZ Gnex), and both of those had upgrade issues. Even the Gnex... and it was NOT Google with the problem on that, but VZ. Just like ATT is the problem here with the HOX JB update. I will agree that Samsung is putting their larger dev force up to keeping their devices updated, but I bet most of that is not dev work, but marketers massaging and making the carriers feel warm and fuzzy. As proven by the availability of JB software for the HOX in the custom world, it is NOT because the software does not exist. It is because ATT doesn't want to... deal with something. That something is debatable, be it support calls for upgrades that go sour, bloatware that works on new platform, or whatever the hell.

The only way to truly deal with timely upgrades is to get phones from the software maker's themselves... like the Nexus or iPhone. I sympathize with the rest of us, I really do... but getting upset at HTC over this is like kicking your dog because your cat pissed on the floor. Get mad at ATT, and get a Nexus next time or deal with the custom world. /rant

I got this phone last month when it was a deal to upgrade my iPhone 3G that I been using since 2008. My first android phone I was kind of reluctant to root it, so today I just finished rooting and flashing to ViperXL 3.2.3. I had to flash ViperXL OTA over so fix the USB to PC problem then do the S-OFF exploit. Took me only 2 hr of research and effort to finally get it to be completed but man am I glad I don't have to wait on ATT. Thanks to Bizzle69, I read a few post that lead me to do it.
    Bizzle69 likes this.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Phou84 View Post
    I got this phone last month when it was a deal to upgrade my iPhone 3G that I been using since 2008. My first android phone I was kind of reluctant to root it, so today I just finished rooting and flashing to ViperXL 3.2.3. I had to flash ViperXL OTA over so fix the USB to PC problem then do the S-OFF exploit. Took me only 2 hr of research and effort to finally get it to be completed but man am I glad I don't have to wait on ATT. Thanks to Bizzle69, I read a few post that lead me to do it.
    Boom.. UN-frustrating AT&T customers, one person at a time haha
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
    Thanked by 5:
    pjniez and tcm1969 like this.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

AT&T gave Galaxy S3 JB 4.1.1 on December 3rd...that's close to 3 months ago...and the HTC One X doesn't have it yet...

I am definitely very interested in the HTC One - waiting for the SIV details to emerge still - but this inability to get updates out is a black eye for HTC...especially considering the HTC One is coming with 4.1.2...so how long will the wait be before it gets 4.2??

It definitely makes me want to skip HTC again this year and hope Samsung blows it out of the water when the SIV is announced...or I can continue to pray Google will put LTE in the next Nexus (and a Snapdragon 800?!) so I can never worry about AT&T upgrading my phone again!

If someone on here isn't a fan of Sense ROMs, like me try flashing the CM10.1 4.2.2 on the One X. I just love it!

Although 10.1 is still in Beta stages, but the Betas are giving me decent battery life.

I would really love to flash viperxl. I am so done waiting for JB. I'm worried though... I never have unlocked a phone etc.. do u have a comprehensive guide to pull this off?? Any help would be great!!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Gunning View Post
    I would really love to flash viperxl. I am so done waiting for JB. I'm worried though... I never have unlocked a phone etc.. do u have a comprehensive guide to pull this off?? Any help would be great!!
    Chuck
    If you're on ATT One X, there is an all in one toolkit --> [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V2.1.1 [2-1-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers
    Bizzle69 likes this.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Chuck
    After you unlock it, do the S-OFF method... makes flashing easier, and you can flash radios too
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    After you unlock it, do the S-OFF method... makes flashing easier, and you can flash radios too
    Can't wait for S-OFF on the Tegra One X. Hate flashing boot.img with PC!

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by yash777 View Post
    Can't wait for S-OFF on the Tegra One X. Hate flashing boot.img with PC!
    While you wait, you can use Flash Img GUI app instead of connecting to pc... flash the zip in the app, reboot, wipe, install
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

yash777 likes this.

Thank u so much. Does the GUI have step by step instructions? I really don't want to brick my phone.

Thank u so much. Does the GUI have step by step instructions? I really don't want to brick my phone.
    Its noob proof. Every Att guy I see roots and flashes using the toolkit. Don't worry bricking your phone is harder than rooting it as long as you follow instructions posted.

I just rooted for the first time yesterday using this youtube video, following it step by step. It was fairly easy and afterwards I got the Viper XL Rom and flashed it. Everything is working and I couldn't be happier! here's the link to the guy's website which has the video embeded. Good Luck! How to Root AT&T One X on 2.20 Firmware! | OneXRoot.com

I think I'm just going to root my phone. I thought the one x was a flagship phone, you'd think they would at least give it some love.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #91  

Quote Originally Posted by Bear412 View Post
    I think I'm just going to root my phone. I thought the one x was a flagship phone, you'd think they would at least give it some love.
    Flash ViperXL! You will love it!

From my HTC One X running ViperXL 3.2

Is it relatively easy to do? I've never done anything of that sort. I'd hate to screw up my phone.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #93  

Is it relatively easy to do? I've never done anything of that sort. I'd hate to screw up my phone.
    I was exactly the same way but I was shocked at how easy it all was! Read through some of these threads and ask questions.

As long as you follow and read the instructions carefully, you'll be A-OK.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Use the all in one toolkit over at xda (make sure it's the one for one XL) and only flash Roms for the one XL (Evita)--that is if you have an AT&T/Rogers/Telstra one x
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Got it to change my CID, got the .bin file, but it won't unlock the boot loader. Data transfer error. Any suggestions?

Edit-- Got it to work. Tried with different data cable. Super smooth after that. Now running Viper and very happy.

well its March still no jelly bean for htc one x...

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Markjcc View Post
    It's time to just dive in and root. Very happy that I did it.
    tcm1969 and MangoPowah like this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  

Quote Originally Posted by Markjcc View Post
    Root it and load Viper XL! You'll love it!
    It's easier than you think!

Not a fan of viper myself, AOSP ROMs are still faster and more efficient. Sense is a hog.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast