Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By VDub2174
  • 2 Post By mbcastle
  • 2 Post By tcm1969
  • 3 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting and Flashing

Let me start by saying that I am not very technically savvy with things like this. Years ago I jailbroke my iphone because I heard about a site that you open, connect your phone and click a button. It was literally that simple. Ultimately, I went back to stock on that phone because a couple of things were glitchy.
    I would like to have the latest software but without compromise. I want burst mode on my camera to continue to work (I've heard that it doesn't with some roms). I simply want jellybean but I want this phone to be 100% functional, no compromises. Everything working as it does now. I would also like "plug it in and click a button" simplicity.
    Is there anything like that available?
    By the way, it's an at&t phone.

Sent from my HTC One X

Default Re: Rooting and Flashing

I used the below toolkit (but the HOX+ version) and it wasn't one click but it was exteemely easy to use. There's a link in the toolkit for step-by-step instructions.

[TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V2.0 [12-24-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    Thanked by:
    Bizzle69 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    I used the below toolkit (but the HOX+ version) and it wasn't one click but it was exteemely easy to use. There's a link in the toolkit for step-by-step instructions.

[TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V2.0 [12-24-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers
    I think I'm going to give it a try. Any tips or pointers I need before going in?

Sent from my HTC One X

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Back up all the things you want saved (pics, numbers, music, etc) to PC just in case... Once you have TWRP recovery installed, make a back up of your stock rom before flashing anything
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
    Thanked by:

I know these are silly questions, but will I be able to un-root just as easily, and will the root give me jelly bean?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoroth View Post
    I know these are silly questions, but will I be able to un-root just as easily, and will the root give me jelly bean?
    I don't know about unrooting but you can flash a JB ROM pretty easily. Just make sure to keep a backup of the stock ROM on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by tcm1969 View Post
    I think I'm going to give it a try. Any tips or pointers I need before going in?

Sent from my HTC One X
    On top of what Bizzle69 said, make sure to read before doing anything and don't be afraid to ask questions. I've been rooting and flashing ROMs since I had the HTC EVO 4G but still end up learning something new as time goes on.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Yes, that toolkit includes the ability to relock bootloader.. If you ever need to, just find the stock ruu for your carrier/phone (can be found in the one x index under android development over at xda), flash it, then relock the bootloader.

As far as jelly bean.. Best sense JB rom is ViperXL, other than that JellyBam and Nocturnal'd Dirty Rom are awesome cm/AOKP based (JellyBam also has ParanoidAndroid settings/tablet-phablet UI )
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Is this a "Sense" rom?

Sent from my HTC One X

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Is this a "Sense" rom?

Sent from my HTC One X
    ViperXL 3.1 is the latest release from HTC for our device + tweaks. (Jellybean update for the OneXL) It is very stable, and great battery life. Just remember when you are flashing roms, regardless of which one, when you run into stability issues and what not - sometimes it can be a "bad flash". At that point, just wipe and reinstall.

Make sure whichever rom you choose you read through some of the xda thread first, just to see how others have faired or use the search in that thread for a specific word you are looking for "battery", "crashes" , etc. If you have an AT&T One X, you shouldn't see any issues with this rom. There are a few people with Telus that are having issues though
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    ViperXL 3.1 is the latest release from HTC for our device + tweaks. (Jellybean update for the OneXL) It is very stable, and great battery life. Just remember when you are flashing roms, regardless of which one, when you run into stability issues and what not - sometimes it can be a "bad flash". At that point, just wipe and reinstall.

Make sure whichever rom you choose you read through some of the xda thread first, just to see how others have faired or use the search in that thread for a specific word you are looking for "battery", "crashes" , etc. If you have an AT&T One X, you shouldn't see any issues with this rom. There are a few people with Telus that are having issues though
    I have read through some of the posts on Viper xl 3.0 and one concern is navigation. I use it daily and some are having issues. Also there is a lot of tech talk in those threads and frankly, it intimidates me a little. I have no idea what half of them are talking about. I'm afraid this may all be a little over my head and I really can't afford to wreck my phone. Sucks because I would really like to see what running a rom is like - just not brave enough at this point.

Sent from my HTC One X

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

well, i have at&t, hboot 1.14 (usually the hboot that will have a more difficult time) and everything works great for me. Navigation, music apps, and i've also never experienced anything force closing. Pretty sure its those Telus guys. Either way, even though it isn't that difficult, don't get yourself into a bad situation. I'd encourage you to google some of the terms you are referring to, just to read up on it and learn a thing or two.

And you can also reach out to people you know that unlock, root and what not... it's always easier to learn hands on, so if someone can show you what it looks like, it would help.
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

and honestly, it took me about 3 weeks of reading different articles/forums before I dove in, take your time bro
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:

Try Android Revolution HD if they have it for the ATT One X.

I finally got fed up waiting for AT&T to push out JB, so I unlocked and rooted my phone using the app linked above. I held off up till now because I didn't want to brick my phone, but the app made it fairly straightforward.

I'm now running ViperXL 3.1, and so far so good.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    Bizzle69 and MangoPowah like this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by mbcastle View Post
    I finally got fed up waiting for AT&T to push out JB, so I unlocked and rooted my phone using the app linked above. I held off up till now because I didn't want to brick my phone, but the app made it fairly straightforward.

I'm now running ViperXL 3.1, and so far so good.

Any quirks? Camera? Navigation?

Sent from my HTC One X

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

I'm running it now, and everything works flawlessly... I don't use navigation everyday, but when I used it, it was fine. Some people have FC issues with navigation though.
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    I'm running it now, and everything works flawlessly... I don't use navigation everyday, but when I used it, it was fine. Some people have FC issues with navigation though.
    What are "FC issues"?

Sent from my HTC One X

Haven't had a chance to play with the camera and nav yet, but I'm liking it so far. Hoping the multitasking will work better, like when streaming music. Speaking of music, the volume level is quite a bit higher. Before I had to slide it almost all the way up to get decent volume. Now it's about half way.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by mbcastle View Post
    Haven't had a chance to play with the camera and nav yet, but I'm liking it so far. Hoping the multitasking will work better, like when streaming music. Speaking of music, the volume level is quite a bit higher. Before I had to slide it almost all the way up to get decent volume. Now it's about half way.

Interesting. I'm getting closer to stepping of the ledge..... :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One X

What are "FC issues"?

Sent from my HTC One X
    Force Close.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Force Close.
    Ha! Funny. I feel like it's 1987 and my parents can't set the clock on the vcr. Only, I'm my parents!

Sent from my HTC One X
    VDub2174 and Bizzle69 like this.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

haha... its cool man, you won't learn everything overnight. Takes time, you'll get it.
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:

Ha! Funny. I feel like it's 1987 and my parents can't set the clock on the vcr. Only, I'm my parents!

Sent from my HTC One X
    LOL.......I remember when I was new to rooting and people were talking about FC's and I had no idea what they were talking about. I think I googled it and eventually found something

I still ask plenty of questions when I don't understand something. Better safe than sorry right?

Always ask questions first before wandering into the unknown. Better to ask first than try to be the hero and end up looking like a zero when your asking how you ended up with a $200 plus brick

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.