Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: rooting and can't figure it out.

That's how Windows 7 will see your device now. It's an annoyance but it works.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One X with ViperXL using Android Central Forums

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Ya,HTC followed Apple with this - they wanted you to be able to use your phone while transferring/syncing your device. This was not possible before; it would give you an error on your phone saying "device is in use" when you try to file browse through the phone while mounted as USB storage.

I agree though, they should have had a pdf file with the update in sense, that would auto load to give you a heads up on these changes.

Have fun!
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken#AC View Post
    @leesum
    I recommend the unofficial 4.2.1 JB by H8rift over at xda. [ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developers
    I see that you got the bootloader unlocked completed. So it makes things easy. If you dont want to use the AIO Toolket, you can spend 99cents on Play and buy Flash GUI. DL the ROM and GAPPS onto your phone and use Flash GUI to load the image. Does not need to flash boot.img each time because it takes care of it.

Your other option is use AIO kit, flash boot.img from the rom zip, boot into recovery and flash the rom+gapps. if not coming from AOSP rom, you need to do a wipe in recovery.
    Ok, tried this one too, if I did it right there is no apps there , no play store and no way to add any app that I can figure out. Back on the net surfing again for that one OS I like. Viper is good but don't really do it for me.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I was bored last night and tired of waiting around for AT&T to release the update, so I decided to root and flash a rom. With some patience and a little persistence, I was able to get ViperXL up and running. I must say it is a very nice ROM and cuts out the AT&T fat! I'm rather pleased so far with how it is going.
    I came to an Android HTC One X from the WP7 Samsung Focus, and I have no regrets!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by sdchris View Post
    I was bored last night and tired of waiting around for AT&T to release the update, so I decided to root and flash a rom. With some patience and a little persistence, I was able to get ViperXL up and running. I must say it is a very nice ROM and cuts out the AT&T fat! I'm rather pleased so far with how it is going.
    Same here! Really excited to try out other ROMs in the future.

Sent from my ViperXL 1X!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

I am so new to this stuff and learning as I go by trial and error, mostly error. I got the Viper xl on yesterday and liked the way it went with only a few glitches. Tried the other one suggested in this thread ([ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developersggested in this thread ) but didn't like it . What I did figure out though was BIG BIG mistake tho. Even after backing up both the stock Rom and the Viper instal. I lost the stock and can't get back to factory stock. Now I am only left with the viper running the phone trying to find Stock rom. I should have backed the backups to the PC rather than leaving on the phone. But like it is , I am a kid in a candy store now. If all goes bad I do have an iPhone for a backup and lost the HTC.

You can get back to stock via an RUU file for your CID.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by yash777 View Post
    You can get back to stock via an RUU file for your CID.
    I think I lost the stock file and can't find it any where on the phone or the net.

Quote Originally Posted by leesumm View Post
    Ok, tried this one too, if I did it right there is no apps there , no play store and no way to add any app that I can figure out. Back on the net surfing again for that one OS I like. Viper is good but don't really do it for me.
    @leesumm - in addition to the ROM you have to flash GAPPS (Google Apps) for the build (in the case of 10.1 it would be JB 4.2). Install the ROM then install GAPPS. From there you will get Play Store, GMail, etc

I did the same things to mine - HTC phones are not as easy to root and flash as Samsung's are, and it's easier to get the stock firmware on the Samsungs when you goof. HTC has started suing the guys who post the stock firmware and it's incredibly (maybe impossible) to find just hanging out there.

I would recommend Clean Rom 5.1 its as close to stock as you can find out there, keeps the phone rooted and is really really really easy to install, an "all in one" install.

CleanROM 5.1 - Downloads - Scott's ROMS

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

HTC took down that site because it had their name in the website address and they had htcs logos... they had a press release (can be found on this website) yesterday
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:

1. flash [ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developers
    2. falsh boot.img from the rom
    3. flash GAPPS
    4. Profit!
    If you flash any AOSP rom without GAPPS, you wont get PLAY. GAPPS = Google Apps. Didnt look like you did step 3 and 4.

So Bizzle, is there a step by step for Viper on an AT&T One X Plus?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Just follow the install instructions in the OP of that Roms thread on xda
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

I have everything back together and working now on Viper XL . I don't know for sure how it came about, but it works. I found a stock RUU and I think flashed it from the PC. Then went and flashed or installed the TWRP backup. Then unlocked the relocked bootloader. Then went and flashed the Viper XL and did a back up. Been battling the connecting to the PC thing. Sometimes it does and sometimes it don't. But then I tried to make a phone call and the phone didn't work but everything else in the system seemed to. I tried to go back to the factory RUU thing and then it hung in boot up on a black screen but would go to fastboot usb. So I flashed Viper XL 3.1 (flashed Viper XL 3.2 the first time) now everything seems to be working fine. I may have not have said all the steps I did right but WTH. a newbie got a HTC One x going and don't know how he did it after a MAJOR screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by leesumm View Post
    I have everything back together and working now on Viper XL . I don't know for sure how it came about, but it works. I found a stock RUU and I think flashed it from the PC. Then went and flashed or installed the TWRP backup. Then unlocked the relocked bootloader. Then went and flashed the Viper XL and did a back up. Been battling the connecting to the PC thing. Sometimes it does and sometimes it don't. But then I tried to make a phone call and the phone didn't work but everything else in the system seemed to. I tried to go back to the factory RUU thing and then it hung in boot up on a black screen but would go to fastboot usb. So I flashed Viper XL 3.1 (flashed Viper XL 3.2 the first time) now everything seems to be working fine. I may have not have said all the steps I did right but WTH. a newbie got a HTC One x going and don't know how he did it after a MAJOR screw up.
    Good job on fixing your phone. Just remember that sometimes the downloads of ROMs can be corrupted, which is why you want to verify the MD5 hash against the one provided for the ROM in the forum. I had to re-download ViperXL 3 times until I got a stable copy. Not checking results in failed installs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Any news for the one x +??? And s-off I do t got time for this crap I'm working 5 10s mite go to 6

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cyanogen-man View Post
    Any news for the one x +??? And s-off I do t got time for this crap I'm working 5 10s mite go to 6

Yeah I think I am staying stock ROM and rooted till s off. The current method of flashing bites. One thing I love about my Sammy phones. Ease of rooting and flashing

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Instead of hooking up to PC and fastboot flashing boot.img that way, get Flash Image GUI from the Play Store. Does it for you. Of course you still have to flash the ROM in recovery, but Flash Image takes all the hassle out of the boot.img dilemma.

Nocturnal'd Dirty Rom Evita
    Last edited by MangoPowah; 02-17-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Bizzle69 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Really?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12