Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default rooting and can't figure it out.

I have been trying for two days to root or unlock the bootloader what ever its called. I have downloaded the all in one tool kit and used it. Went to the HTCdev website and tried that and get no where. On the tool kit I get to the point of getting the token but then when I put it on the web site I keep getting a error message of Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
    Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won't work. I have done exactly what is stated in the instructions and on the web site for following the bootloader unlock instructions the command prompt wont give me anything . What am I doing wrong ?

Got it now , it just happened for some reason , wouldn't work before then all of a sudden it was there. Now have to figure out how to flash a jelly bean rom and then done I HOPE.
    Last edited by leesumm; 01-27-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: it worked
    Bizzle69 likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: rooting and can't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by leesumm View Post
    I have been trying for two days to root or unlock the bootloader what ever its called. I have downloaded the all in one tool kit and used it. Went to the HTCdev website and tried that and get no where. On the tool kit I get to the point of getting the token but then when I put it on the web site I keep getting a error message of Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
    Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won't work. I have done exactly what is stated in the instructions and on the web site for following the bootloader unlock instructions the command prompt wont give me anything . What am I doing wrong ?

Got it now , it just happened for some reason , wouldn't work before then all of a sudden it was there. Now have to figure out how to flash a jelly bean rom and then done I HOPE.
    I am sorry to sound disrespectful of those with knowledge but I have to say, 134 views and counting with no help. An old man here with a Android phone in a forum I thought was for the purpose of helping others. No one has offered to even say "dummy" Where is one to look for help when they don't KS???

I'm sorry I forgot that all 134 people are expected to be able to help. If I knew the answer then I would help but if someone doesn't know then they aren't going to be able to help. It's happened to me before when I've posted and I've had no response. This is meant to be a helpful community but there's times when people who see the post won't know. Hopefully someone will post in response to your question with help!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    kurosenpai likes this.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

ok... Sounds like you copied too much into the field... make sure it didn't have any lines that start with "info" ..I made the same mistake myself when originally did it.

Also,I believe the updated toolkit does all this for you
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Download viper XL 3.1 (I'm beta testing the new build that will be out soon and it runs even smoother! )

It's HTC sense jb plus tweaks (you can leave the tweaks alone if you want and everything runs great)
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    Download viper XL 3.1 (I'm beta testing the new build that will be out soon and it runs even smoother! )

It's HTC sense jb plus tweaks (you can leave the tweaks alone if you want and everything runs great)
    That would be good to do Bizzel. I have downloaded the Viper X 3.3.1. but as it is I had enough trouble trying to figure out how to unlock the bootloader. Now I have to figure out how to put roms on the phone itself. I have the rom on the desktop in a folder but now what? You have to know that this is a 65 y.o man here that has used iphones for since the first iphone 3 and this is all new to me

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Well, first- viper X is for the international one x...make sure (if you have the lte one x to select viper xL)

And did you install TWRP recovery after unlocking? Do that through the toolkit-much easier step than unlocking bootloader..

Once you have recovery installed, hook your phone up to your pc/Mac and transfer viperXL onto your device.

Now reboot into recovery and select backup. So you can backup your current stock rom(that came with the phone)..Once that is done, don't hit the reboot button in twrp... back out of that screen to the main menu.

Now select Install. Normally when you are flashing a new rom, you have to wipe before the install - in the viper installer you do this (make sure you select it when it pops up).. there will be lots of options in the installer - just leave everything the way it is, unless you know of a selection that you absolutely want.

But before you do anything, make sure if you have the AT&T/Rogers one x (one XL) that you use ViperXL 3.1...if you have the international, then the rom you downloaded is fine. TWRP generally won't let you install a rom not designed for your phone (error comes up during install), BUT if it does, it will brick your device
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by 2:
    Nate Alexander likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok, how do I tell for sure which is which ? So far I have found , I think, the cid is CWS___001 if that means anything. the device is calling itself a evita/HTC one x
    Bizzle69 likes this.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Yes, sorry I left that out - Evita is the one xL... this is the right one..

[ROM][Jan 13] Team Venom ViperXL 3.1.0 Jelly Bean | Venom Tweaks | OTA Updates - xda-developers
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanks, Bizzle69. Your tutelage helped push me over the cliff. I flashed ViperXL last night and it has been nothing but pure awesomeness so far. Only one minor hiccup at the beginning, and that was my fault for not flashing the boot.img in fastboot first since I have hboot 1.14. After remedying that, it's been smooth, buttery sailing.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One X with ViperXL using Android Central Forums
    Bizzle69 likes this.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Glad you got it running! I'm running the beta of the next build, and there are zero issues that I've found..I'm willing to bet that an update will come out within a week or two
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

The all in one toolkit works fine. The only thing token wise you need is the numbers after the beginning tag and the ending tag.

Glad you got it running! I'm running the beta of the next build, and there are zero issues that I've found..I'm willing to bet that an update will come out within a week or two
    Are you able to mention anything about the changes? Curious as to what changes we have to look forward to.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Let's just say, everyone that has had the "man I wish it had ___ included in this Rom" should be very happy when it's released..it's near perfection in my opinion.:-D
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well I finally got it installed and everything seems to be working except now I can't find the drivers in order to connect to the PC as a disk drive or use the All in one toolkit. Got any ideas to tell me where to go with the drivers? The original ones don't work on Viper. And when trying to insert password for back up protection the keyboard is funky . I have noticed the volume is extremely loud now after the new rom. I only wish there was a user guide as to what is what on this thing. It would make it better for an old man to figure out how to use a phone again.

Let's just say, everyone that has had the "man I wish it had ___ included in this Rom" should be very happy when it's released..it's near perfection in my opinion.:-D
    Sorry to be a pain but, is there anything I need to know when running at&t 2.0 update? I heard there may be some extra steps. Can:-) I still use the all in one Toolkit? I'm getting ready to take the leap. I'm giving at&t to the end of the month for the official JB release. Also with 2.0 do I need to do anything differently before adding Viper?

Sent from my HTC One X

Hey meet another old man who feels like a dummy. I have had zero luck getting my phone and or computer to do what all the posts say it should. I have been trying for three days now. Drop me a PM if you get your figured out I would love to hear what you did....Thanks Tim

Well I finally got it installed and everything seems to be working except now I can't find the drivers in order to connect to the PC as a disk drive or use the All in one toolkit. Got any ideas to tell me where to go with the drivers? The original ones don't work on Viper. And when trying to insert password for back up protection the keyboard is funky . I have noticed the volume is extremely loud now after the new rom. I only wish there was a user guide as to what is what on this thing. It would make it better for an old man to figure out how to use a phone again.

Jellybean changes how the phone connects to the PC. You'll have to download the most recent release of HTC Sync to get the appropriate drivers to connect to the PC again.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Connect to pc, the icon that pops up in your task bar on your pc- right click, go to properties, then update drivers... it will show up in My Computer as an mp3/media device.... if that doesn't work try " android file transfer" (Google search and download to pc and install on pc)
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by tward1955 View Post
    Hey meet another old man who feels like a dummy. I have had zero luck getting my phone and or computer to do what all the posts say it should. I have been trying for three days now. Drop me a PM if you get your figured out I would love to hear what you did....Thanks Tim
    Make sure your phone is in debug mode . Go to developer settings and check it - it will pop up a window to caution you of what you have just selected, just hit ok
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by tcm1969 View Post
    Sorry to be a pain but, is there anything I need to know when running at&t 2.0 update? I heard there may be some extra steps. Can:-) I still use the all in one Toolkit? I'm getting ready to take the leap. I'm giving at&t to the end of the month for the official JB release. Also with 2.0 do I need to do anything differently before adding Viper?
    Sent from my HTC One X
    To be honest, you should just unlock and flash. Once the update comes out, it will patch the exploit and you won't be able to unlock and root for a very long time.

As far as being on 2.20, I was as well and the toolkit worked great..and yes with the majority of Roms, you have to flash the boot.img of the rom before flashing it in recovery (TWRP). The way I do this, is using flash gui app - flash the rom.zip in that app, reboot to recovery, wipe (factory reset) then install the rom

For viper, they use an installer that wipes and flashes the boot.img for you. Another great thing about viper!
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I downloaded and installed the newest HTC sync. Now the All In One toolkit works and it shows as My HTC on the device manager on the PC, but still can't find it as a disk drive in my computer. Now if I can figure out how to flash other Roms I will be happy. It only took me 15 years to learn the PC and Windows and still learning .

@leesum
    I recommend the unofficial 4.2.1 JB by H8rift over at xda. [ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developers
    I see that you got the bootloader unlocked completed. So it makes things easy. If you dont want to use the AIO Toolket, you can spend 99cents on Play and buy Flash GUI. DL the ROM and GAPPS onto your phone and use Flash GUI to load the image. Does not need to flash boot.img each time because it takes care of it.

Your other option is use AIO kit, flash boot.img from the rom zip, boot into recovery and flash the rom+gapps. if not coming from AOSP rom, you need to do a wipe in recovery.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

That may be a bit complicated for him... Leesumm, on your pc go to device manager - right click on your phone in device manager (while plugged in of course) and update drivers..the phone should be able to be seen as a media device in My Computer.. it won't be listed under hard drives
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Connect to pc, the icon that pops up in your task bar on your pc- right click, go to properties, then update drivers... it will show up in My Computer as an mp3/media device.... if that doesn't work try " android file transfer" (Google search and download to pc and install on pc)
    Ok, tried that too, I can't use the "android file transfer" , I am running Windows 7, and from what I understood that is for a Mac. I did get it installed but it installed a lot of other crap software that I didn't want so deleted it . I am now up to the point of Windows 7 installs HTC on everything but "HTC MTP Device" . In the device manager it shows "my HTC" , then in the My computer it shows the HTC but not where it used to be as a Mass Storage. Now its a removable device but as it is it will open there as a Mass Storage . So I guess I am ok with that now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast