One X stuck in safe mode, volume down button nonresponsive

dieselvaden

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
anyone have any clue how to get this out of safe mode? i do not know how it got into the mode to begin with. my volume down button isn't working (volume up button is working) would this have anything to do with it?
when it powers down, it goes into the menu with the 3 android guys at the bottom, and i can select one using the volume up button, but the power button will not initiate the selection.

tried factoring resetting it. didn't work.

if i can figure out how to root it, would this help?

any help -- any help -- would be appreciated. many thanks.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
sounds like you can get to the bootloader "3 android guys at the bottom"... get there, and use the all in one toolkit to unlock and root your phone... with the same toolkit install TWRP recovery, that way you can access your phone usb storage on pc / flash roms / back up roms... and ultimately fix this.

You are not bricked, so don't fret. If you unlock the bootloader and flash a rom, it'll be a clean install, no safe mode

inamedit

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an old post, but I've recently encountered this problem.
Can someone give me detailed instructions on using the All-in-one Toolkit?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, if I don't press Volume Up Button (safemode), it automatically directs me to bootloader when my device starts up.

Can you tell me what hboot it has? does it say 2.14? And if you connect your phone to your computer, can it find your phone?

inamedit

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't have much experience with this stuff, but it says
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0000
and my computer picks up my phone no problem.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't have much experience with this stuff, but it says
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0000
and my computer picks up my phone no problem.

So you said it is an AT&T HTC One X and your computer is finding your phone? I'm not sure if this will fix it, but you can try this.

You can try flashing the latest RUU here. The download is all the way at the bottom of the page.

It is as simple as this. Just plug in your phone while in bootloader and run the file you just downloaded and follow the instructions. Or follow the instructions on the HTC website.

This will update your phone since it seems like it is on an older hboot. Will this fix your problem? maybe...

If you would like more info: Here are some resources.

Resource 1

inamedit

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
So you said it is an AT&T HTC One X and your computer is finding your phone? I'm not sure if this will fix it, but you can try this.

You can try flashing the latest RUU here. The download is all the way at the bottom of the page.

It is as simple as this. Just plug in your phone while in bootloader and run the file you just downloaded and follow the instructions. Or follow the instructions on the HTC website.

This will update your phone since it seems like it is on an older hboot. Will this fix your problem? maybe...

If you would like more info: Here are some resources.

Resource 1

Updated to the latest RUU with the link you provided, but I'm still stuck in safemode.
Is there a way to fix it with the ALL-IN-ONE kit?
Also, I no longer get signal from my carrier.(Tmobile Sim Card)

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Updated to the latest RUU with the link you provided, but I'm still stuck in safemode.
Is there a way to fix it with the ALL-IN-ONE kit?

Have you tried to boot into the OS. When you boot it, does it immediately go into the safe mode/bootloader?

At this point, you are very limited on things you can do. by safemode do you mean a screen with a white background and 3 android dudes on the bottom? if your hboot is 2.14, you can try unlocking the bootloader, flash a recovery, root and install a custom rom. Will this work, I'm not sure. Again you are limited on options. You will need the latest toolkit. I have it here. Just click where it says ZIP in capital letters. Now you should follow my guide here on how to unlock the bootloader, flash a recovery, and root etc.

What I want you to do is this. Message me after you unlock the bootloader. Tell me everything you did. After I say everything is ok then flash the recovery. Then I'll see if everything is ok enough to root and flash a rom.

inamedit

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I am unfamiliar with the messaging system on this forum.
However, I was wondering if we can chat on Skype or any other preferred program.
If you have Skype, my id = iduhasianalex

Justice Atlast

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Sure I am dudeamazing3. I just sent a contact invite.

Just go into the in car app on the phone and click on route map top left box ...then try the volume down .it should now work then restart phone till boot loader screen appears go to Factory reset using volume down button an then press power button ...your phone should now be out of safe mode

Justice Atlast

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Start phone with finger on power an volume up button ..then go to car app on phone an click on navigation then click on Google Maps navigation then try your volume down button ..it should now work then restart phone so you get bootloader screen and using volume down go to Factory reset press power button ...your phone should now be out of safe mode