Vibrate issues

b_martin89

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
This might be a stupid question, but I can't, for the life of me, figure it out. I want my phone to vibrate when I get a text when it is in the vibrate profile, and I want it to just play the tone and not vibrate when sound is turned on. Please help!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

brian10161

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Shouldn't be too hard to do this. Just turn off Vibrate in the SMS app and then put the phone to vibrate. Should vibrate on notifications and only play sounds when volume is turned up. This is how I have my Galaxy Nexus configured.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

brian10161

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Are you putting the phone to silent or vibrate? There's two modes and silent disables physical feedback.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
What SMS app? Sounds like the problem is there, unless you get no vibration at all when in vibrate mode... from anything. Try Handcent or GoSMS and see if the issue clears up. It should be as easy as turning the whole phone into vibe mode, to get what you want.

b_martin89

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, when I turn on vibrate in the messages app it vibrates. But I don't want it to vibrate when sound is turned on, only in vibrate mode. Right now, it vibrates in vibrate mode and when sound is on.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

brian10161

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
It may be the way the HTC firmware is. I know when I disable vibrate in my SMS app it only vibrates when I put it to vibrate mode.

Like a previous suggestion mentioned, why not try another SMS app and see about changing the settings in that. At least to confirm your on the right track.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

razgri5

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem.

Every since the JB update, the phone vibrates when I get texts when the sound is on, and the only way to get it to not vibrate is if I open up the settings in the messenger and turn off vibrate which, of course, means that it won't vibrate even when the phone is IN vibration mode.

So basically it either vibrates all the time or never. It's pretty annoying. I don't know how to fix it, and so far haven't had an answer that helps. I wish I could figure out how to have my phone give me tone and no vibration without having to dig through messenger settings.

Have you had any luck?

razgri5

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I just tried using a third party sms app and everything worked fine. So it's definitely a problem with the HTC messenging app. Crazy frustrating, but I'm starting to doubt there's anything we can do about it. Ridiculous.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you really care about using the HTC messaging app, go to APPS in the SETTINGS, locate it and CLEAR DATA on it. Try again. It is not uncommon for apps to dislike an upgrade, which is why a factory reset is often forced upon users during an OS upgrade.

If you do really care about using that app, may I ask why? It is a pretty poor app in comparison to the popular ones in the Market.

razgri5

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
That was a solid suggestion. Didn't resolve the issue unfortunately.

I like the default sense messenger app mostly because it's clean and consistent with the over all design language of the phone only because I'm on sense. I'd take stock everything over Sense any day though.

I think other messengers like GoSMS are too busy. My main gripe with third party messengers in the app store and slight edge to HTC is that HTCs messenger pulls contact photos from Facebook. I know it's a small trivial detail, but I really like seeing folk's pictures in the messages!

What messenger apps do you like, Loraque?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, I am a Google voice user, so don't get to use any of them anymore:). I preferred gosms with a holo theme applied, on their minimal installation. I can see the busy mess you talk about.

Tried handcent? Similar to go in features, but less busy.

The only thing I liked about the htc app, was the lockscreen integration. And I would lose that with a new launcher, which I could not resist doing eventually.

Good luck on finding something that suits :).

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance