1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T HTC One X Battery Draining Rapidly and Overheating

Hello.

I've been having an issue with my AT&T HTC One X since yesterday afternoon.:' My HOX is not rooted nor is it running any custom ROM. It is updated to Jellybean (the one that recently came out from AT&T) but the issue didn't start till yesterday so I'm not sure that's the culprit.

The symptoms are as follows:

The battery is draining super fast. It's draining around 10% - 20% an hour. I used to get a whole day on one charge (from about 8:00am - 10:00pm).
    The back panel around the camera is really, really hot. I have a Seidio Surface case on it and the heat still bleeds through.
    It seems like the phone is constantly sending and receiving something (at least that's what I think it is.) The 4G LTE icon on the notification bar keeps showing the animation that it's sending or receiving.
    The time on the top right corner doesn't always match the clock on my widgets (Minimalistic Text Widget, Beautiful Widgets). Sometimes, the widgets are slower and sometimes they're faster.
    Downloading apps from the Play Store goes quickly but there is a long delay (long enough to make me think the installation hung) after the full download to the time the app starts installing. I actually did this about 15 times and quit the installation each time because I thought it locked up on me. But one time, I was downloading and left the phone alone and it finally installed after about 5 minutes.

I can't say for sure but all this seemed to happen after a few of my apps updated yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I didn't get a close look at what the apps were. I think one was Handcent, the other was Minimalistic Text. There was another one but I don't know what it was. I've uninstalled both apps but they didn't help.

Anyone else have the same issues? Hoping to be able to get some input on how to fix this issue without having to reset my phone.

Thanks.

Default Re: AT&T HTC One X Battery Draining Rapidly and Overheating

Did you reset your phone before and/or installing the update? Sometimes apps get a little messed up during system updates. First, try uninstalling all your apps. If the issue seems to have disappeared, then install each app one by one until it does. If that doesn't work, then unfortunately your only bet would be to do a factory reset.

Hopefully this can be resolved soon!

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Same set of issues here. Started right after Handsent updated, which (along with an SMS transmission issue i'm seeing) caused me to uninstall Handsent....and the problem persisted. So I called AT&T Customer Care who told me two things:
    1) They are noticing quite a large number of problems like this on the HTC One X after the JB update (some of these are delayed which is my case), and
    2) HTC or AT&T is preparing an update to fix the problem. He said he heard two weeks.

He indicated that to fix the problem in the interim, they are having good success via a factory reset. Reinstall apps, hold off on the current JB update until the newer one is released.
    I'm busy on other things so looking for a solution short of all that, plus I liked have JB for the couple of weeks that I did. I did try disabling Data which is keeping the handset cooler but its still sluggish and warm and i don't have data. Haven't started pulling off applications to see which does the trick.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

@MangoPowah - Thanks so much for your email. If by reset you mean, a factory reset, no, I never did that. I did finally do it late last night and the issue is fixed although I'm still working on setting up the phone to the way I had it (which is why I was trying to avoid doing it because it takes so long.)

@Whosurdaddy - Thanks for your reply. I did also speak to AT&T Customer Care but the guy I spoke to never mentioned that. It's helpful for me to know. I didn't mention in my previous post that I was receiving multiple (like 20 - 30) copies of the same texts. The reason I never mentioned it was because I had assumed it was something wrong on the other end but I found out yesterday that the issue was with my phone. Also, did the rep you spoke to say that once you do a factory reset, it goes back to the previous version? Mine is still JB after the factory reset which is what I expected. I hope I don't get the same issue.

Anyway, after looking online for different solutions and trying a bunch of different things, I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset late last night. My phone is now fixed albeit not quite setup the way I had it. That will take some time but at least I have a working phone.

My conclusion is that one of the updates (possibly Handcent, since Whosurdaddy mentioned the same app) caused my phone to stay awake (I downloaded Better Battery Stats and the reports showed that my phone was staying awake 100% of the time - not going into Deep Sleep) and drain my battery.

Maybe I should look into rooting and using a custom ROM so I can back up my phone and restore quickly.

Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Interesting and not fun. You can download a backup app like titanium or mybackup pro which backs up the whole shebang, setting, screens, data, apps, etc. I've had to use it before on a Thunderbolt couple years ago which worked, though the behavior with applications was a bit weird. Maybe works a bit better now.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by dmack410 View Post
    @MangoPowah - Thanks so much for your email. If by reset you mean, a factory reset, no, I never did that. I did finally do it late last night and the issue is fixed although I'm still working on setting up the phone to the way I had it (which is why I was trying to avoid doing it because it takes so long.)

@Whosurdaddy - Thanks for your reply. I did also speak to AT&T Customer Care but the guy I spoke to never mentioned that. It's helpful for me to know. I didn't mention in my previous post that I was receiving multiple (like 20 - 30) copies of the same texts. The reason I never mentioned it was because I had assumed it was something wrong on the other end but I found out yesterday that the issue was with my phone. Also, did the rep you spoke to say that once you do a factory reset, it goes back to the previous version? Mine is still JB after the factory reset which is what I expected. I hope I don't get the same issue.

Anyway, after looking online for different solutions and trying a bunch of different things, I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset late last night. My phone is now fixed albeit not quite setup the way I had it. That will take some time but at least I have a working phone.

My conclusion is that one of the updates (possibly Handcent, since Whosurdaddy mentioned the same app) caused my phone to stay awake (I downloaded Better Battery Stats and the reports showed that my phone was staying awake 100% of the time - not going into Deep Sleep) and drain my battery.

Maybe I should look into rooting and using a custom ROM so I can back up my phone and restore quickly.

Thanks!
    Watchdog is an app on Play that monitors apps in situations like this. It will tell you if an app goes rouge and alerts you to it. (Says the description of the app. I haven't had a rouge app before so I can neither confirm nor deny the performance of the app itself)

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It's been a few days since my factory reset and for the most part, my battery life is great. I've tried to do a couple of things since then and realized that what Whosurdaddy said is true. It's probably a native JB issue or an AT&T HTC One X JB issue.

The reason I say that is soon after the factory reset, I downloaded some apps that (Yelp, Fandango, OpenTable, Flixster, and a couple of others). Somehow, after I did that, my battery life went to crap again. I uninstalled the apps and turned my phone off then back on and my phone was fixed again. To be sure, I downloaded Yelp by itself again and battery life was horrible. I uninstalled Yelp and turned it off then back on and the phone was fine again. I decided to try the other apps (all at the same time - I got lazy) and the same thing happened. The weird thing is that I had all these apps on my phone for the longest time before and my battery life was excellent.

Anyway, I just thought I'd update this post so others can read about my experience. I sure hope AT&T comes out with a fix because I really like having those apps on my phone.