Can't use internet while connected to home router

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Here's the short version of update story.

1. Wanted Jelly Bean for Playstation Mobile compatibility and Google Now, with some hope that I would love that buttery jellybean and so I waited and waited and waited.

2. OTA finally came, didn't think it was jellybean thought that was a lost cause, hoped for some minor updates got Jellybean.

3. Phone wasn't buttery smooth, and was having some problems with the internet and had ironically backed up entire phone because I was going to do a wipe anyway and so I reset to factory.

4. Set up the phone, set up the wifi, tried doing wifi setup manually, tried to set it up with WPS Push, tried to set it up with WPS PIN, tried to set it up manually again, changed the router SSID and tried again, changed the channel to 2.5 Ghz. Tried it with DLNA on and off. Tried it with Best Wifi Performance on and off. Tried 5 Ghz, tried auto, tried those combinations with DLNA on and off, and best wifi performance on and off, and so on and so fourth.

5. I don't see how it could be my router's issue, I can connect with the Playstation Vita, I can connect on a laptop, I can connect on the 3DS, and the DS, it's just that when i connect my phone I get "Can not display www.google.com" or any other site for that matter. My wife doesn't have a 3G plan my phone works great on 3G. My wife is able to do online stuff on her phone but I can't do it on my phone.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Jellybean included changes to wifi on android, and there have been numerous complaints about it not working with all routers post JB. To test, turn off encryption on your network, and I bet it works fine. Most problems seem to be with certain routers (often 2wire, but not just them) and WPA encryption. I would bet you can connect to other wifi networks without issue. You may have to change your wifi security to WEP or get a new router.

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Jellybean included changes to wifi on android, and there have been numerous complaints about it not working with all routers post JB. To test, turn off encryption on your network, and I bet it works fine. Most problems seem to be with certain routers (often 2wire, but not just them) and WPA encryption. I would bet you can connect to other wifi networks without issue. You may have to change your wifi security to WEP or get a new router.

Sorry for a late reply. I was hoping that giving it more time would let people report and fix the issue. No luck. I've never had security on my router higher than WEP because well... Nintendo makes some really crappy wifi software on the DS which I use every once and a while. The PSP Go only works on like B or something so I have to include B/G networks as well. I use a D-Link router, had no issues till I updated, can't find any posts that seem to have my problem.

I tried alternating best wifi performance on and off, while changing the network to work with 2.5 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz. toggling back and forth between them with "Best Wifi Performance" toggled on and off hoping to find a magic solution.

Still nothing. Then I tried setting a static I.P. and reserving that I.P. on the router but my phone won't let me set a static I.P. the save dims out, I can't change the I.P. number from 192.168.1.128 or even save that as the dedicated I.P. on the phone. Yes I'm using the correct Key Index for my WEP, no a Factory Reset didn't help.

I called the support for HTC and they basically told me to send my phone in on the 1 year warranty and it must have been a coincidence that the wifi stopped working at the same time as my phone. Yes my phone doesn't work at other wifi hotspots either.

So that's the update on my situation. So I guess I have a super rare issue then? Should I RMA it to HTC and risk them going "Oh you did something to the phone" (otterbox commuter case) or saying "It's fallen too many times" or should I just do an equipment replacement through the Radioshack thing I keep forgetting to get rid of?

I use about 3-4GB of data after reducing my data consumption to as low as I can comfortably live with. My plan is a 2GB plan and I never had issues till now (It should be illegal for them to not have roll over data plans) but with Wifi not working there's only so many times I can say "No I can't use my phone for this" before it's not even worth having a data plan on it. So what do I do? Send HTC my phone? or send it to RadiosHacks Equipment protection stuff that I will cancel soon?

I'd like to keep my upgrade that's coming up as an emergency. I'd rather not have to pay hundreds to either company for a repair. >_< That is to say I kinda can't afford it.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
That is unfortunate timing for a hardware failure- gets you looking in the wrong direction for a while. I would call ATT and talk them into swapping me a refurb unit. I have had good luck with ATT in that regard, and it will not affect your upgrade time. I just re-read, and see that you perhaps bought it at Radio Shack... if you have a replacement plan through them, I would do that. Ride out the end of your contact (I am right with you there, maybe there will be a One+ in 6 months for me). I am not sure how to proceed, not having purchased from Ratshack before, but if you are paying an insurance plan, you might be even better off than a refurb unit and might get replacement value... walking out with a One would be sweet.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463