Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert Edler
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should My Battery Last This Long ?

Hi,

Yesterday I bought an HTC One X and over-night it was charging and when I took it of charge at 11.30an to go out to my nearest costa to meet some friends. I was just surfing the internet, facebook and answering a few texts. Come 1.45pm my battery was down at 19%. Im just wondering if it should go down that quickly. I know One Xs have 1800maH batteries which is bad as I was used to a Note II but sadly had to sell it.

The phone is very nice, screen is great but battery lets it down. Any ideas ????

Thank god Costa had charging sockets haha!

Thanks

Default Re: Should My Battery Last This Long ?

That is some sad battery life, but as far as answering your question...it's hard to say. There are so many factors that affect battery capacity...things like how bright your screen is, how large the screen is, how many pixels the screen has, what apps and services are running in the background, how often your device checks for and downloads emails, what type of wifi you were using (B, G or N), whether Bluetooth is on or not, do you have LTE, 3G or 2G and how strong was that signal (low or no signal actually uses more battery because the phone is constantly trying to find service), how long were you on Facebook and the internet, etc, etc. You probably already know this stuff, so I'll just point out that you're not the first to complain about this phone:

AT&T HTC One X Battery Draining Rapidly and Overheating

Did you purchase this phone new, or used? Secondly, were you performing the tasks you say you were for two hours continuously? If not, your battery life really does suck! That said, as ledfrog suggests, there are so many variables involved that it's a challenge to find an exact solution to your problem. It's kind of like you comparing your home utility bill to your neighbor in a similar house. You may keep your heat high, your A/C low, have all your lights on constantly, while your neighbor may live much more frugally.
    ledfrog likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hi,

Thanks guys for your reply, Well I was using the internet, facebook most of thr time and was on 3g but was slow so might be a factor. I understand 1800mAH battery on continuous use and screen bright it would go down but didnt think that much haha. Since I have been used too a 3200maH battery that would last a bit longer.

I did however contact HTC and they told me too wipe cache partition and get back too them, good thing im computer minded haha im awaiting a reply as asked if any files eould be deleted then they told me to put the device in safe mode or something for 24hrs EH haha. Its only a battery thing I think...

Hope you guys can get back

Thanks

I've been keeping my screen brightness at 50% on a continual basis. The only time I have a problem with that is outdoors in sunlight. Other than that, I've grown accustomed to that level. Also, with a new phone, all of your settings, syncing etc., are at their default levels. It will take some time and effort, but it's worth throttling back those settings on an app-by-app basis. The less often the phone is checking for email and updates to social media, the less power you use. News and weather apps often "like" to frequently check for updates and should not be overlooked. And, I've found that your battery will lose charge and heat up faster when your phone signal is weak. The phone uses more power to maintain communication with the nearest cell tower. Occasionally, though, the only thing that may help under these circumstances is to re-boot the phone. Just make sure you've unchecked "Fast boot" under "Power" settings first. I hope these suggestions are helpful.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Could you also please do a wipe cache partition:

Turn the phone off (hold the Power key on devices with sealed battery)
    Press and hold the Power key and Volume Down key to boot into bootloader mode.
    Press Volume down to highlight Recovery, then press the Power key.
    When the Black recovery screen appears, press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the menu.
    Press Volume down to highlight Wipe cache partition, then press the Power key.
    When complete, press the Power key to reboot the phone.

Should I give it a try ? They also said put it into safe mode

Thanks

Thanks for that, ill take that into concideration ive just turned my brightness down too 50. Ive got facebook logged in, emails logged in, weather on home screen haha its just because im used to my note. Ive been listening too music and typing this message for 20 mins and the batterys 88% from full charge. But thanks for that advice ill take it on board.

Could you shine some light on what htc asked me too do please :

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Edler View Post
    I've been keeping my screen brightness at 50% on a continual basis. The only time I have a problem with that is outdoors in sunlight. Other than that, I've grown accustomed to that level. Also, with a new phone, all of your settings, syncing etc., are at their default levels. It will take some time and effort, but it's worth throttling back those settings on an app-by-app basis. The less often the phone is checking for email and updates to social media, the less power you use. News and weather apps often "like" to frequently check for updates and should not be overlooked. And, I've found that your battery will lose charge and heat up faster when your phone signal is weak. The phone uses more power to maintain communication with the nearest cell tower. Occasionally, though, the only thing that may help under these circumstances is to re-boot the phone. Just make sure you've unchecked "Fast boot" under "Power" settings first. I hope these suggestions are helpful.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Sorry about that above was a bit confusing, I did the cache thing and they said give it 24hrs so im waiting haha. Thank you for what you said will keep brightness up at 50 and watch what apps im using ine facebook, internet, weather etc.

Quick question you wouldnt perhaps know how to stop this, on my browser when I change tabs and return to the first one it refreshes and when im on a form or something its annoying as gets rid of what ive wrote

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Edler View Post

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my phone but I actually use probably half the things you do. Its as if my battery goes down a percent per minute. Just wondering if the things you did helped at all with the battery life? Thanks :3

Sent from my HTC One X using AC Forums mobile app

I had a similar problem after the JB update. After trying several things, I read it might be due to a corrupt media file. I did a factory reset and have had really good battery life since then. The improvement was well worth the hassle of going through the reset.