Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

1 Posts

Question Screen not usable

Hi! I bought my HTC One X at an airport store in Hong Kong and htc support replied nothing so I thought I'd check here.

Problem is that my HTC One X will either have the whole screen in tiny multi-color pixels(?) or stretch the view, make icons and text appear over each other and flicker with every touch or sometimes without touching. The only way to try and get rid of this is to press the power button until the phone shuts down to restart or if I can see some of the screen to shut it down completely. That used to work for a short while at a time. I reset the phone 2 times. The first didn't help at all, the problem was back the second the phone restarted again. The second time it seemed to work but the problem came back after two days. Then for some reason a week or so later the phone started working normally and continued like this for 3 months showing the pixels only a couple times and then going immediately back to normal. Now for the past 2 weeks the phone has been working every now and then, mostly being useless when I can't select anything on the screen i.e. use the phone at all. I haven't' bothered with the reset, just kept it switched off for 1.5 days which made no difference. Yesterday my HTC and I did manage a whole 15 minutes of quality whatsapp & internet browsing time together. When the screen went asleep after that and a few minutes later I received a text and tried to go see it, the problem was back.

Anything in particular I should still try and if not, is there some sort of an international warranty on htc phones and for how long after purchase? The shop assistant did answer when I asked that a warranty claim would mean a trip to HK but I still ask Anyone else come across this screen issue? I didn't see anything on the couple of forums I checked. I was of course aware that buying from outside my home country would have implications in case there were problems so there is no real need to point that out. Thanks!

Default Re: Screen not usable

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend a factory reset. (back up anything important first, of course!). Once its back to a factory state, see if everything works as it should before starting to put apps back on. If everything works as it should with no apps, that's a good sign. If nothing has changed, it is likely a hardware defect and should be covered under warranty (assuming it hasn't been dropped/abused/gotten wet/etc)

When you do start adding apps back, only add a few at a time - like 5 or so - and then test things to see if you can replicate the screen problem. If suddenly the problem comes back after adding a few apps you'll have a better idea which one is causing it then if you just restore them all at once!

Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't have a OneX, and am just taking the steps I would if I were in your shoes. If there is a known problem similar to this hopefully someone with more specific knowledge can help you better!