Do not buy HTC One X...mother boards not DURABLE

Aditya Vipradas

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The HTC One X seemed a good option that could cater all my needs. But much to my disappointment, the phone's display started to malfunction after 1 year and 3 months i.e. right after the phone warranty got expired(Google search 'Blank Screen of Death). The phone display went blank all of a sudden. The HTC service center employees told me that there was a fault in the mother board itself and only replacing it can solve the problem. Are the HTC mother boards so cheap that they die right after the warranty period? He also told me that replacing the board might also harm the battery and I will have to replace that as well. Is the design of HTC one X so bad? I had to shell out half the amount of the actual phone price to get the board replaced. What is the use of buying such a high-end phone then? I suspect that HTC itself tweaks the codes in order to make the phone malfunction after the warranty period. After this incident, I have made up my mind that I won't buy HTC products anymore and would encourage people to do the same.I beg HTC guys to please start developing good and DURABLE products. I have no idea whether they know what 'DURABLE' means. If the mother boards itself are so rubbish and cheap, what is the use of the famous NVIDIA Tegra 3 QUAD CORE processor, the 8MP camera, 1GB RAM and 25GB memory? I would have purchased an entirely new phone from the money I spent on another of the HTC mother boards. I hope this works fine now. I have been given a warranty of 3 months on the new mother board. Now I just hope that the phone and all its parts work properly again. But there is one thing for sure: HTC, YOU HAVE BROKEN MY TRUST....Shame on you!..Hey, and kindly change your tagline...HTC, quietly destructive.:mad:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Sorry you are having trouble with your device. The new HTC One seems to be one of the better built devices by HTC, but it hasn't hit it's first birthday yet, so time will tell on that.

Are you thinking of getting a different device when you can?

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site
You're not the only one having problems with the phone. Literally a week after my warranty expired I began having SIM card errors. Upon researching it, I found this is a known problem caused by a poorly designed SIM slot which allows the contacts to break connection intermittently. I put 3 layers of scotch tape on the front of my SIM card, crammed it in, and haven't had the problem since, it has been around 6 months.

This trend of serious flaws in phone design will continue as long as the race-to-make-the-next-big-thing mentality persists in the smartphone industry. This race mentality leads to inadequate durability testing and absolute lack of regard for device longevity. For those of us in the engineering field - it's a frustrating problem at times.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have to be somewhat candid. The One X was never on my short list. Too many other great options out there. Welcome to Android Central!

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

dart4605

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I am on my third HTC One X. The first failed within 6 months. The warranty replacement failed within a few weeks. The third one is still working fine ten months later.

HTC/ATT are very slow about Android updates.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for your experience. I've had absolutely no troubles with my HTC One X (Even with all of my tampering :D )

danjus

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, ONE X is probably one of the best phone for the buck. You can get it for $140 on eBay. BTW, I sold over 100 on eBay, no returns, no complains. I guess yours is lemon, bad luck this time.

Aminuddin Ghazali

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same experience with HTC One X. After opening up the phone and I can infer a couple of things about this device:
1. The whole architecture underlying the design is apparently based on the machined aluminium casing. The antennas on the back cover connect to the board via spring contacts, and the screen+board assembly mates to the back cover by snap-on clips. So getting the tolerances right is actually critical to the reliability of the system. When HTC switched to the polycarbonate body for the one x, they no longer had the rigid frame, but they were still making the mechanical design on the same old assumption. It does not help that the design relies wholesale on mounting tapes and not much else to keep components in place. In other words, that they were touting as a premium product, is actually only good enough as a trial engineering prototype.
Result: great reviews out of the box, but the moment you dropped it, or get it somehow twisted in your pocket, the contact is either completely gone or intermittent. Unless you are some kind of very extremely benign user (stick the phone in your handbag, never heavy handling, etc) this phone is trouble to no end.
2. The system apparently tries to compensate for loss of output power by running the power up. I have noticed how cool the it becomes after just opening up the board and bending up the contacts. Running high demand apps such as navigation with the phone in poor condition would push it almost to a boil, so this brings out the secondary effects coming from the overheated components.

I hope this helps the rest of you HTC guinea pigs out there. The newer HTC models are reverting to the machined aluminium casing, which should solve most of these problems, but if you are a one x, one x+ user having problems with the phone out of warranty, unless you are prepared to troll the insides of the device, just cut your losses and get something else.

numskull223

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your HTCs .. But I am looking for a used HTC One X with working display.. Is any one looking to sell theirs ?

Thanks

I just had my motherboard die. My USB cable fried mine. I bought a working one x with a cracked screen for 65.00 on eBay. Now I'm switching the motherboards.

Posted via Android Central App

niice1

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my htc one x !! After a year and maybe 2 months! But I took it to a local repair store (bought the phone online)
And they chipped the side of the phone and htc refused to fix it because of that chip/ dent even though the warranty would have been up by then I guess. I was so disappointed :( I still love that phone though, anyone know where I can get a motherboard ???? I still want it fixed :(

numskull223

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my htc one x !! After a year and maybe 2 months! But I took it to a local repair store (bought the phone online)
And they chipped the side of the phone and htc refused to fix it because of that chip/ dent even though the warranty would have been up by then I guess. I was so disappointed :( I still love that phone though, anyone know where I can get a motherboard ???? I still want it fixed :(

I replaced my motherboard my self, You buy them on eBay. I just bought a phone with a busted screen and pull the board out of it and installed it in my phone. Works great.!!

Posted via Android Central App

Xer0 WindKey

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im having the total opposite experience, I bought my White One X on May 4th 2012 from amazon, right after not liking the newly unveiled Galaxy S3.

This is still my only phone, its working perfectly, even though on December of the same year (2012), I droped the phone on concrete, and chipped a small piece on the top corner and got minor unnoticeable scratches on the screen, I refuse to use cases and screen protectors because I like the natural look and feel on my phones. So being the maniac that I am, I bought that same december a housing replacement this time black.

After searching how to replace it I found out it is not hard at ALL to do it (The phone kinda slides out entirely out of the shell).

So now even though the white housing is chipped on a corner its bearly noticeble anyways because of the polycarbonate (Its still white through and through). So now everytime I get bored of one color I simply switch the housing to the other one, and I mix up the colors of the power and volume buttons from time to time for even more combis. (HOX Maker :p)

Now, considering that Ive been pulling changing housings back and forth SO many times since then, and on top of that the time that Ive had the phone as a whole (2+ years) , I must say this phone has passed the test of time for me.

Im VERY happy with my purchase! And Ive certainly got my money's worth out of it I payed the full price of 624 USD for the Factory Unlocked International Version.

Im not even mad that I cant go beyond Android 4.2.2. It would be great if I could, but my phone doesnt do any less than when I bought it, and everything still runs great! :D:D

Give HTC another shot in the future, they may surprise you.

72david72

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
you are very lucky..anyway i also like htc and i have made the same with my one x . now the mother board is broken and i lose money trying to fix it. the best you can do is to buy a htc one m7 is the best and nicest phone i have own and works better than the htc one x ...dont lose time ..buy the htc m7 perfect size and all the good of htc is on it better than m8.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74