Unable to turn off vibrate for sms with android 4.2

squirlee_t

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded to android 4.2 yesterday for my HTC One X. I keep my phone in vibrate mode at work and turn off SMS vibration so that it will only vibrate when I receive a call. Ever since update to 4.2 it vibrates whenever I receive a text message even though "Vibrate" is still unchecked in Messages > Settings > Notifications. What can I do to have my phone only vibrate for calls and not text messages?

Any help is much appreciated!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Set the sound to nothing. It's a change in the way android works. If you have a sound notification set then it will vibrate when in vibrate mode.

The thought is, if you want a sound notification of the alert, you also would want a vibrate notification if it's set to vibrate. Otherwise one would just set their phone to silent to not get any notifications.

It's related to this change in the Android code:

https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/commit/9a7debe5857ffc7c71cfc4082b1b6d72a5cf81cd

When in vibrate mode, all notifications will vibrate.
(Unless the notification specifies no ringtone AND no
vibration, in which case it will remain silent.)
Posted via Android Central App

squirlee_t

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! That worked. Is there no way to have my texts play a sound when not in vibrate mode, but not vibrate when the phone is vibrate mode?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463