HTC One X won't turn on

KuroKohai

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
A few days ago my phone turned itself off while the battery was on 40%. When I turned it back on it was super laggy. So I updated the software because last time the lag stopped after I did so. Not sure if it's updated but now my phone won't turn on. It's stuck on the HTC logo screen. But if I press the power button and volume down key for a while, the reboot menu comes on. I selected recovery but it doesn't work; it shows a symbol with a phone and a triangle with an exclamation mark over it. I wouldn't dare try anything else since I don't want it to delete all my data.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by updating the software? Was there a new system update available? This would seem unlikely, since the phone is fairly old. Do you mean that you're rooted, and you flashed a new ROM?

KuroKohai

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by updating the software? Was there a new system update available? This would seem unlikely, since the phone is fairly old. Do you mean that you're rooted, and you flashed a new ROM?

Hi! c:
Uh, I checked if there's a system update available and there was.
Also I have no idea what your last sentence meant. :confused:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is your phone, and did you ever update it before? The most recent update that I could find on the web was around Jan 2014, when the Sense 5 update rolled out.

KuroKohai

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I bought it last year around April so more than a year old. And yes, I have. Last time my phone was laggy so I updated the software and it became normal.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any idea what the exact update was? It's a little hard to figure out what's going on if we know only somewhat vague details. I still think it's unusual that the One X would suddenly have an available system update. This is very unusual for a phone at this stage of its lifecycle.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you select Recovery and see the screen with the phone and the exclamation mark, try pressing and holding Power, then tapping Vol Up or Vol Down. That's how the Recovery Menu comes up when going through this process on Nexus devices. There's no risk at this point of wiping your phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The only way it would be wiped would be if you brought up the Recovery Menu, then selected Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Even if you did select it by accident, it would ask you at least once to confirm that's what you want to do.