Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,877 Global Posts

Default Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600

Model Tier: 600
    Model Number: APQ8064T
    Semiconductor technology: 28nm LP
    CPU Instruction Set: ARMv7
    CPU: Up To 1.9GHz Quad-coreKrait300
    CPU Cache: L0: 4kB+4kB, L1: 16kB+16kB, L2: 2MB
    GPU (Display/Video): Adreno320 (QXGA/1080p)
    Memory Technology: 32-bit dual-channel LPDDR3
    Wireless Radio Technologies: GSM (GPRS, EDGE), W-CDMA/UMTS (HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, DC-HSPA+ cat.29), MBMS, LTE cat.4, CDMA2000 (1×RTT, 1×EV-DO Rel.0/Rev.A/Rev.B, 1×EV-DO MC Rev.A, 1×Adv Rev.A/Rev.B), TD-SCDMA
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    Sorniel M Davila likes this.

Default Re: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600

someone with some knowledge please explain how does this CPU stack up against Exynos 5 OCTA ??

Quote Originally Posted by sir.mervyn.king View Post
    someone with some knowledge please explain how does this CPU stack up against Exynos 5 OCTA ??
    It stacks up well against the power cores of the octa. The octa isn't an 8 core chip, its two four core chips. It has one set of four A15 cores (powerful) and once set of four A7 cores (battery efficient for light tasks). This is based on a proprietarty Qualcomm core that is on par with the A15 core.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    It stacks up well against the power cores of the octa. The octa isn't an 8 core chip, its two four core chips. It has one set of four A15 cores (powerful) and once set of four A7 cores (battery efficient for light tasks). This is based on a proprietarty Qualcomm core that is on par with the A15 core.
    For hardcore gaming which one will be more smoother, or can we not tell that yet

For hardcore gaming which one will be more smoother, or can we not tell that yet
    I don't remember what the GPU on the Octa is like, so I can't say. GPU has a huge impact on gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I don't remember what the GPU on the Octa is like, so I can't say. GPU has a huge impact on gaming.
    Octa-Core ARM Mali-T678 Or IT PowerVR SGX554MP

The exynos in the past have been better at gaming (bettter GPUs) than other branded processors released at the same time. If I recall correctly, this is the same with this exynos also.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by khughes6 View Post
    The exynos in the past have been better at gaming (bettter GPUs) than other branded processors released at the same time. If I recall correctly, this is the same with this exynos also.
    Aren't the Tegras usually the best for gaming? The Tegra 4's GPU was heavily emphasized, and with 72 cores, it's a beast.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Octa-Core ARM Mali-T678 Or IT PowerVR SGX554MP
    Nope. Wrong. PowerVR544MP. Not cutting edge. Not faster than Qualcomm or nVidia.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    AndroidS3 likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    Aren't the Tegras usually the best for gaming? The Tegra 4's GPU was heavily emphasized, and with 72 cores, it's a beast.
    Tegra 4 will still be faster, yes. At least in GPU department.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Nope. Wrong. PowerVR544MP. Not cutting edge. Not faster than Qualcomm or nVidia.

Why is samsung thinking of using power vr for s4.. Isnt that going backwards when they can use mali ??
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why is samsung thinking of using power vr for s4.. Isnt that going backwards when they can use mali ??
    Not really. PowerVR is used by a LOT of companies. It's well supported by devs and has a good track record. Look at all the issues that game devs had with the Mali-400 in the Galaxy S2. There are some games that STILL don't have working sound on that device, and it's because of the closed source parts of the kernel and OS that Samsung won't release (at least, that's my understanding of things).

My question is why isn't Samsung using the latest and greatest from PowerVR instead of this older GPU? It's not even as powerful as what Apple put in their newest stuff.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Not really. PowerVR is used by a LOT of companies. It's well supported by devs and has a good track record. Look at all the issues that game devs had with the Mali-400 in the Galaxy S2. There are some games that STILL don't have working sound on that device, and it's because of the closed source parts of the kernel and OS that Samsung won't release (at least, that's my understanding of things).

My question is why isn't Samsung using the latest and greatest from PowerVR instead of this older GPU? It's not even as powerful as what Apple put in their newest stuff.
    So Samsung processors in upcoming Samsung phones will have weaker GPUs than Samsung processors in Apple phones? Umm…

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    So Samsung processors in upcoming Samsung phones will have weaker GPUs than Samsung processors in Apple phones? Umm…
    Yeh thats what i cant understand..
    Darth Spock likes this.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,698 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Hmm has anyone actually looked at the a6x powered iPad it destroys everything. Oh and after doing some reading the adreno 320 is a 4 core design the adreno 305 is the single core. I haven't researched the arm Mali t-678 but if its used in a multi core arrangement it will be a beast also. I'm just happy Qualcomm finally has a GPU that can compete
    And keep in mind the arm Mali t-604 is breasted by only the sgx554mp4 in most test
    Rooted for life
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Samsung didn't make Apple's latest chips. Apple did.

The problem with the Mali-t604 is that it isn't supported as well as it needs to be to perform the way it should/could.

Computationally the Tegra 4 GPU is more powerful than the others. The only things that will probably take full advantage is the stuff from Tegrazone, though. Unless you're doing a LOT of gaming any of the modern GPU's is going to be just fine for what we do with our phones.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Question Re: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600

n00b question... I thought the new Snapdragon 600 processor is 1.9 mhz? All I'm seeing HTC The One having is a 1700 mhz. What's this about?
    Joined the Android Army '11
    Current Android ~ Nexus 5
    Like A Bo$$

Quote Originally Posted by AllenRulz View Post
    n00b question... I thought the new Snapdragon 600 processor is 1.9 mhz? All I'm seeing HTC The One having is a 1700 mhz. What's this about?
    I think it means that the cpu can handle up to 1.9. But htc have underclocked it to only 1.7

I think it means that the cpu can handle up to 1.9. But htc have underclocked it to only 1.7
    Oh okay. Well seeing as the rumor now states the Galaxy S IV will carry the Snapdragon 600 now too, I'm hoping they clock it at the highest at 1.9 to get the full effect.
    Like A Bo$$

Well I hope that HTC is smater then Samsung by making the software run lag free because it doesn't matter what your clock speed it matters on the software and hardware working together as one vrs how everything is all missed matched but we will see

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Kevin O'Quinn and Lodingi like this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AllenRulz View Post
    Oh okay. Well seeing as the rumor now states the Galaxy S IV will carry the Snapdragon 600 now too, I'm hoping they clock it at the highest at 1.9 to get the full effect.
    You'll never notice the difference that 200mhz makes in real world use.

You'll never notice the difference that 200mhz makes in real world use.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

HTC One looks very cool but I was wondering with Sense 5.0, can I turn off the news feed crap on the home page of the phone? I'm sure that would be a battery killer any way.
    Like A Bo$$

GPU,Current market least powerful to most: (Quad core)
    Mali 400MP
    Tegra 3
    Power VR 543/544 (Very similar)
    Mali T604
    Adreno 320
    Power VR 554
    Tegra 4
    New Adreno 330 ( not sure how powerful so just a guess this one)
    Power VR 6 series

But alot of gpu power depends on what its built on a architecture, for example 32nm and 28nm this can differ performance. Also what can change the power of how the GPU runs is how many pixels its pushing, for example a gpu will perform better if it was pushing 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. And lastly if can obviously depend on the clock speed in which the GPU is ran at.

And CPU:

Apple A6 @ 1.3/4
    Apple A6X @ 1.2/1.3
    Exynos 4 @ 1.4ghz (S3)
    Tegra 3 @ 1.5ghz (One X)
    Exynos 4 @ 1.6ghz (Note 2)
    Tegra 3+ @ 1.7ghz
    Snapdragon S4 @ 1.5ghz
    Snapdragon 600 @ 1.7-1.9
    Exynos Octa
    Tegra 4

The octa and tegra 4 im not too sure about because the 600 will definitely be challenging the quad A15 cores now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by AndroidS3; 02-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    GPU,Current market least powerful to most: (Quad core)
    Mali 400MP
    Tegra 3
    Power VR 543/544 (Very similar)
    Mali T604
    Adreno 320
    Power VR 554
    Tegra 4
    New Adreno 330 ( not sure how powerful so just a guess this one)
    Power VR 6 series

But alot of gpu power depends on what its built on a architecture, for example 32nm and 28nm this can differ performance. Also what can change the power of how the GPU runs is how many pixels its pushing, for example a gpu will perform better if it was pushing 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. And lastly if can obviously depend on the clock speed in which the GPU is ran at.

And CPU:

Apple A6 @ 1.3/4
    Apple A6X @ 1.2/1.3
    Exynos 4 @ 1.4ghz (S3)
    Tegra 3 @ 1.5ghz (One X)
    Exynos 4 @ 1.6ghz (Note 2)
    Tegra 3+ @ 1.7ghz
    Snapdragon S4 @ 1.5ghz
    Snapdragon 600 @ 1.7-1.9
    Exynos Octa
    Tegra 4

The octa and tegra 4 im not too sure about because the 600 will definitely be challenging the quad A15 cores now.

I think you confused power with performance. The GPU has the same "raw horsepower" regardless of resolution or software. It's computational capabilities remain the same. Performance, on the other hand, is highly dependent on those things. Without having the same exact device, running the same exact software, it's going to be hard to do a direct comparison of which setup will perform better.
    Thanked by:

I think you confused power with performance. The GPU has the same "raw horsepower" regardless of resolution or software. It's computational capabilities remain the same. Performance, on the other hand, is highly dependent on those things. Without having the same exact device, running the same exact software, it's going to be hard to do a direct comparison of which setup will perform better.
    Yeah my apologies, I meant performance not power, and yes your correct, but if anything id rather Adreno 320 in S4 than Power VR 543

Thanked by:
    Csan508 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast