Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBeans Build 5

Default Re: Anyone else slightly disapointed in the screen size?

I don't want a phone bigger than this, I think the GNote2 is a lil goofy. The DNA is using its space better but I really like the 4.8 of my gs3 and I want to keep my phones around that size.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Maybe its just cause I have small hands. I find 4.7" to be solidly beyond the 1 hand use mark. 4.5" is pushing one hand use for me. So I don't like 4.7" screens, because if the screen is going to be too big for me to use one handed, I want it to be a very large screen. Give me 4.3" or give me 5.3", I'd be happy with either one but don't really like the sizes inbetween.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Maybe its just cause I have small hands. I find 4.7" to be solidly beyond the 1 hand use mark. 4.5" is pushing one hand use for me. So I don't like 4.7" screens, because if the screen is going to be too big for me to use one handed, I want it to be a very large screen. Give me 4.3" or give me 5.3", I'd be happy with either one but don't really like the sizes inbetween.
    I've found that 4.7 is the max for me. Lots of viewing area and I can still mostly use it with one hand. I do still miss my HTC Sensation sometimes though... That thing was very easy to use one-handed and felt great to hold.

(I'm 6'2" with big hands, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by doomstang View Post
    Lmao....so have you mocked up a phone and done extensive testing to find that exactly 4.99 inches of screen is optimal for you or did you just decide to go by the rumored specs of a phone you have never seen, much less held.
    Based on current form factors 4.8 is better, 5.5 is too big so that leaves the 4.99 as the sweet spot. Whoever gets there first wins. Straight physics.

You could go to 5 but don't be ridiculous.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by I-can't-believe-I-fricken-use-Android; 02-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.

It doesn't have the thinnest bezels. The Xperia Z and the Oppo Find 5 are barely bigger. and they are 5". All this about 5" being too big is moot if it can fit into the same size as yesterday's 4.7" phone. I have a Galaxy Note II and even though the screen size isn't too big for my hand, it's too big for my pocket. Both the One X and GS3 are on the smaller side. My pockets can go a little bigger. A 5" would be the perfect size for me.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by I-can't-believe-I-fricken-use-Android View Post
    Based on current form factors 4.8 is better, 5.5 is too big so that leaves the 4.99 as the sweet spot. Whoever gets there first wins. Straight physics.

You could go to 5 but don't be ridiculous.

Even though you can get a pretty good idea how large a phone will be based on the screen size, it doesn't give you the full picture. Don't forget to account for the size of the bezels.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    All this about 5" being too big is moot if it can fit into the same size as yesterday's 4.7" phone.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Even though you can get a pretty good idea how large a phone will be based on the screen size, it doesn't give you the full picture. Don't forget to account for the size of the bezels.
    Agreed. The reality of physics trumps all speculation.

Darth Spock likes this.

ROM
    Viper

If i could hold and operate a 20" screen phone with one hand, i am sure would like that phone. Over all device size is everything, as stated above. Screen size is more or less irrelevant. Bigger is better, but ergonomics trump all.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Darth Spock likes this.

I think 4'7 is the perfect size in my opinion. Especially if they keep the bezels at a nice size. It actually looks a big smaller than the N4 but i'm not sure. I have HUGE hands, where the Note II can be one handed by me, but I prefer the 4'7inch N4. This phone looks perfect (though I'll be hanging on to my N4)

It's all a matter of preference. I'm disappointed that it's so big. I hate big *** phones. If I wanted to talk into a shoe box I would have kept my 1995 Motorola.
    Ry and Darth Spock like this.

the square body is something I dont like about the EVO LTE. IT doesn't feel good in the hand and with the screen size I would have still preferred them to place the power button on the side its cumbersome to stretch and reach it from the top when I usually hold my phone from the bottom.
    Sent from my HTC EVO 4G....

.....yeah the LTE version

I think the 4.7 inch screen will be very attractive for most of the Android customers. I think 4.7 is a great size, this phone has very little bezzel on the sides and should give plenty of screen to use.
    PS The Benchmarks are over 12,000 That is right over twelve thousand.

A 1080P display at 4.7" will give this device the highest pixel density of any phone at 468PPI. What's there to be disappointed about? That's pretty awesome IMO!
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!

This.

Agreed.

I'm totally fine with the 4.7 screen. Actually kind of glad it's not any bigger.

Has anyone thought about the fact that 3/10s of an inch is barely even noticeable? I believe it's more the sound of 5 inches is better than 4.7, I'm sure if i was casting for an adult film and i said i was 4.7 and not 5 I'd get turned down, but if i just dropped trow' and busted that bad boy out I'm sure they wouldn't be able to see the difference! Just sayin'

Thanked by:
    jdevenberg likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzmocat View Post
    Has anyone thought about the fact that 3/10s of an inch is barely even noticeable? I believe it's more the sound of 5 inches is better than 4.7, I'm sure if i was casting for an adult film and i said i was 4.7 and not 5 I'd get turned down, but if i just dropped trow' and busted that bad boy out I'm sure they wouldn't be able to see the difference! Just sayin'

If 6% of something is no big deal, want to go ahead and start sending me 6% of your paycheck? I know .3" doesn't sound like a lot, but 6% is a noticable difference. Plus, I'd have prefered something in the Note range of size (5.3"-5.5").
    integralus likes this.

I'm actually happy they were able to pull off a 1080p screen under 5 inches. I've been waiting for an OEM to do that.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Yes, very disappointed. Should have rivaled the S4. HTC likes playing catch up every year and this year is no different.
    Rivaled the S4? I didn't know they introduced the S4 yet...lol.

I also own an Note 2 and I sold my Evo LTE to get it and I can't go smaller, bigger yes, but not smaller. I don't own a tablet, so my Note 2 is it.

Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Rivaled the S4? I didn't know they introduced the S4 yet...lol.

I also own an Note 2 and I sold my Evo LTE to get it and I can't go smaller, bigger yes, but not smaller. I don't own a tablet, so my Note 2 is it.
    It's a given.

I don't like everything Sammy does but give them credit because they up the ante every year when it comes to screen size.

ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

I can fit a lot of inches in my pocket, but 4.7 is about the perfect size for a phone in my opinion.
    Russ Smith likes this.

ROM
    Viper

It's a given.

I don't like everything Sammy does but give them credit because they up the ante every year when it comes to screen size.
    I don't understand why bigger makes screens better.

If Samsung put a not over saturated screen on the s4 would be a huge improvement over the s3.

Until other companies start using the same tech as htc, no one will touch them I quality.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

It's a given.

Its not upping the ante if the screen is still non-RGB SAMOLED garbage.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'm an EVO LTE user and that has felt good in my hand.

The One is a narrower phone, which should make it feel even better. But, it has an extra speaker, making it a longer phone.

I'm wondering if they found it unwieldy to have both the paired speakers AND the extra screen real estate.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast