Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Recent apps and multi tasking!!??

So no where could I find anything about recent apps and multitasking. Since the button is officially kaput, how do they plan to handle this? I can't see HTC being so stupid as to go backward to a post ios4 era. --- edit --

found it... double tapping the home button? come on....
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Default Re: Recent apps and multi tasking!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Lancota View Post
    So no where could I find anything about recent apps and multitasking. Since the button is officially kaput, how do they plan to handle this? I can't see HTC being so stupid as to go backward to a post ios4 era.
    I think it's -

Long press on Home: Google Now
    Double tap on Home: Recent Apps

HTC One hands-on | Android Central
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Viper

I might be alone here, but i actually do not mind this. It seems logical enough and thought out. I just hope that the buttons are easy to reach with one hand.

The dedicated button is nice, but a double tap makes you feel accomplished lol
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Ry likes this.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I think it's -

Long press on Home: Google Now
    Double tap on Home: Recent Apps

HTC One hands-on | Android Central
    Yep. That's right.
    Ry likes this.

ROM
    Viper ROM

Evo 3D had 4 buttons....Evo LTE has 3....HTC One has 2....anyone care to make a prediction for next year's phone?
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doomstang View Post
    Evo 3D had 4 buttons....Evo LTE has 3....HTC One has 2....anyone care to make a prediction for next year's phone?
    Couple ways to look at that. Fewer is simpler, right?

And with the dual speakers, the HTC logo had to go somewhere.

ROM
    Miui

I can definitely see the phone only needing one button. Then you have different ways of interacting with it. Example.

Press - Go Home
    Long Press - Recent Apps
    Swipe Left - Go Back
    Swipe Right - Search
    Double Tap - Google Now

Etc etc
    EVO3D - Miui

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    It's not simpler when you start adding all kinds of hidden swipes and presses. A button that does "X" when you press said button is simple. A button that does "X" when you press and do "Y" is less simple.

As for their logo: Who cares? What is that logo going to do for HTC? Apple phones don't have an Apple logo on the front and they seem to sell fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post

And with the dual speakers, the HTC logo had to go somewhere.
    Simpler... except that those 2 buttons now take extra taps and remembering of which tap does what to do more functions.

I'd agree with the fewer is better if they actually required fewer things to learn. I feel like it might be over-complicating things for average users.

Also, if any carrier removes that HTC logo for their own, I'll start flipping tables.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Simpler... except that those 2 buttons now take extra taps and remembering of which tap does what to do more functions.
    Plus the fact that button presses won't be instant like they are now. After tapping the home button, it'll delay taking action for a short period of time while it listens for a second tap. It's a very minor inconvenience, but would be easily solved by keeping the standard three buttons. If HTC really insists on only having two, I'd rather them use swiping or long-tap to trigger the alternate action.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Plus the fact that button presses won't be instant like they are now. After tapping the home button, it'll delay taking action for a short period of time while it listens for a second tap. It's a very minor inconvenience, but would be easily solved by keeping the standard three buttons. If HTC really insists on only having two, I'd rather them use swiping or long-tap to trigger the alternate action.
    The button presses are instant. there is a setting for it. Its 3 options, slow, fast and normal. I was looking at pocketnow videos. They had it on normal and it was much faster than my S3. Pretty much equivalent to just pressing it.

The multi task button on my One X is a constant aggravation for people I pass my phone to (ie to take pics or look at something), they always accidentally press it and have no idea what's going on. My bet is HTC decided to fix that by removing it entirely...

Although it goes against the Google ICS+ design, I'm not automatically assuming it's all bad. Heck it's probably not as bad as than still sticking a menu button and confusing all the app developers and users...

What about multitasking on Sense 5? I haven't seen anyone talk about this yet. Hopefully it's not terrible like on Sense 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jrun View Post
    I can definitely see the phone only needing one button. Then you have different ways of interacting with it. Example.

Press - Go Home
    Long Press - Recent Apps
    Swipe Left - Go Back
    Swipe Right - Search
    Double Tap - Google Now

Etc etc
    I don't get why so few phones have switched to on-screen buttons. I think they're great on my N4. You get a menu button in apps that still need it, and you get nice visual feedback on presses - unlike the capacitive buttons on my old N1, where I was never sure I was touching the right spot. As long as the screen is extended to include the real estate currently dedicated to physical buttons, it's all plus and no minus.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    if any carrier removes that HTC logo for their own, I'll start flipping tables.
    I brought this up in another thread. I can almost guarantee that's what they're going to do. And I bet it lights up, too! (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
    HTC Inspire 4G - retired
    HTC One X+ (HOX+)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I really only use the back and home key on my DNA. The recent apps button is really more of a nuisance. If it were a menu button I would use it but since it has a on screen menu button it is irrelevant. Waiting for the software update that allows preferential changing of the recent apps to menu.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlenoodles View Post
    I don't get why so few phones have switched to on-screen buttons. I think they're great on my N4. You get a menu button in apps that still need it, and you get nice visual feedback on presses - unlike the capacitive buttons on my old N1, where I was never sure I was touching the right spot. As long as the screen is extended to include the real estate currently dedicated to physical buttons, it's all plus and no minus.
    But most phones with on screen buttons state that the phone has an X" screen when in reality, 1/2" of screen realty is taken by virtual buttons.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by patrixl View Post
    The multi task button on my One X is a constant aggravation for people I pass my phone to (ie to take pics or look at something), they always accidentally press it and have no idea what's going on. My bet is HTC decided to fix that by removing it entirely...

Although it goes against the Google ICS+ design, I'm not automatically assuming it's all bad. Heck it's probably not as bad as than still sticking a menu button and confusing all the app developers and users...
    And that's my biggest issue with it. For me personally, I never used that button on my One X and had it mapped to open Menu. Never did I use it for multi-tasking. But now that I have a Nexus 4 I use it ALL THE TIME. I can't really figure out why, but I bet if I went back to the One X I would stop using it again. Maybe it's HTC's weird implementation of multi-tasking, or maybe it's just all in my head, I'm not sure.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doomstang View Post
    The HTC Yu no buttons it knows what you want

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    But most phones with on screen buttons state that the phone has an X" screen when in reality, 1/2" of screen realty is taken by virtual buttons.

Yes, but on-screen buttons are dynamic. More can be added or the entire container can be hidden depending on what an app needs. That's what really makes virtual buttons superior to hardware buttons.

Yes, but on-screen buttons are dynamic. More can be added or the entire container can be hidden depending on what an app needs. That's what really makes virtual buttons superior to hardware buttons.
    I would difinately prefer virtual buttons if done right. And by that I mean the screen stretched, less bottom bezel and that apps are updated to properly support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I really only use the back and home key on my DNA. The recent apps button is really more of a nuisance. If it were a menu button I would use it but since it has a on screen menu button it is irrelevant. Waiting for the software update that allows preferential changing of the recent apps to menu.

I can't say for sure since I don't have the DNA, but on my EVO LTE running Sense 4+ (and even before that) , I can change the behavior of the recent apps button under settings > display, gestures and buttons > buttons > recent apps button. No onscreen menu button ever
    I thought HTC solved that problem well before the DNA had come out. Maybe the software was already in Verizon's hands?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oehrensperger View Post
    I can't say for sure since I don't have the DNA, but on my EVO LTE running Sense 4+ (and even before that) , I can change the behavior of the recent apps button under settings > display, gestures and buttons > buttons > recent apps button. No onscreen menu button ever
    I thought HTC solved that problem well before the DNA had come out. Maybe the software was already in Verizon's hands?
    The dna doesn't have that option yet. It is strictly recent apps.

ROM
    Viper

That also leaves room for inconsistencies and annoyances. For instance when they are gone it takes some sort of action to bring them back again when if they were capacitive they would always be there immediately.

I am not going to say I am against them until I have a phone with them, but i am skeptical about them being ultimately better than traditional buttons.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

When you are surfing the internet they take up screen real estate, and I don't want to lose screen real estate for on screen buttons.

Let's leave the on screen buttons to nexus phones, which I have no desire to own.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast