Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 109
Like Tree45Likes
  1. #26  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by mammo3 View Post
    ^^^^^ This. I recently switched from EVO LTE to the GS3 and that was the biggest difference I noticed. Say what you want about Touchwiz but it seems to be more of a theme/mod to stock Android, where Sense is designed more as a replacement. Reading Peter Chou's interview on the Verge, it sounds like he's convinced Sense is their main selling point. To me Sense is an anchor dragging down their build and display quality, and I don't see this new phone reversing their tailspin. It sucks because I've owned many HTC devices, but they won't get any more business from me until they either make Sense a series of apps, or a launcher option like Nova/ADW.
    lol. Sounds like all your devices should be Nexus devices. Let HTC be HTC.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  2. #27  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Newsflash: nobody bought a Galaxy S3 because of TouchWiz.
    But to the masses, TouchWiz is what makes a Samsung Android-based phone a Samsung phone. Many people I know bought the Galaxy S3 because they were marketed a Samsung phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    In fact, TouchWiz is exactly why people buy Nexus phones.
    But look at the sales numbers between TouchWiz phones vs. Nexus phones. TouchWiz doesn't hurt sales at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    HTC has a fine product. They just need to market it correctly. Marketing and advertising is how the mainstream buys phones - not specs, and not software.
    Thank you for getting it. More people need to realize that specs don't matter as much when it comes to how the mainstream buys phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme;2596629[url=http://m.cnet.com/news/htc-one-looks-great-but-will-anyone-care/57570141
    HTC One looks great. But will anyone care? - CNET Mobile[/url]

    "HTC is going up against two of the biggest spenders in the world with intensely loyal followings," said Avi Greengart, an analyst at Current Analysis.
    Reading that quote, I now feel like HTC needs to go on a bashing spree - like what Samsung did to the Apple and it's iPhone. They need to get their name out there and calling out their competitors could get the job done.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    So HTC needs to do a few things it hasn't been comfortable doing in the past. For one, it'll need to get more proactive with its own marketing. It's something the company has always half-heartedly done in the past, but it will need to work harder to develop both the One brand and the HTC name. Apple and Samsung are household names..."
    Consider HTC's history - starting as an OEM that catered mostly to carriers - and it's easy to see why they haven't done so well marketing their own stuff.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    robotaholic likes this.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    This phone could be HTC's savior...as long as it only has a brief stay on Android 4.1 - I am also eternally skeptical of HTC's offerings in the battery department, no matter how big of one they put in. Here's to hoping.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    It almost seems that HTC lacks the confidence to just make an Android phone. I think the market would love an HTC powered Android phone with their great craftsmanship and killer specs. Take care of the battery life and get sense out of the way and I think this could have been thier year. I look at it like this, Samsung makes an Android phone that runs touch wiz. HTC makes a sense phone that is powered by Android.

    Everybody points to the GS3 and what made Samsung. Before that it was the original Galaxy but what brought them into the mainstream was the Galaxy S2. all that phone did was put amazing hardware with a software experience that was smooth and stable. Almost a first for any Android phone. I was really hoping HTC would have followed that blueprint.
    Thanked by:
    robotaholic likes this.
  5. #30  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    lol. Sounds like all your devices should be Nexus devices. Let HTC be HTC.
    HTC being HTC has put HTC on the road to going out of business.
    Thanked by:
    mammo3 likes this.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Consider HTC's history - starting as an OEM that catered mostly to carriers - and it's easy to see why they haven't done so well marketing their own stuff.
    Exactly.

    I agree on your other point as well. I don't think TouchWiz hurts Samsung's sales. Perhaps because of the massive hype that Samsung's marketing arm generates?


    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  7. #32  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by KingChicago View Post
    This phone could be HTC's savior...as long as it only has a brief stay on Android 4.1 - I am also eternally skeptical of HTC's offerings in the battery department, no matter how big of one they put in. Here's to hoping.
    OS updates aren't a significant sales driver to the mainstream, general buying population.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. #33  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Never owned a Nexus phone, got a Nexus 7 though. Wasn't trying to poo on everything about Sense. The camera and media players are first rate, just wish they'd be a little less heavy handed changing everything else. I can't be the only one either, judging by their declining market share.
  9. #34  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    It almost seems that HTC lacks the confidence to just make an Android phone. I think the market would love an HTC powered Android phone with their great craftsmanship and killer specs. Take care of the battery life and get sense out of the way and I think this could have been thier year. I look at it like this, Samsung makes an Android phone that runs touch wiz. HTC makes a sense phone that is powered by Android.

    Everybody points to the GS3 and what made Samsung. Before that it was the original Galaxy but what brought them into the mainstream was the Galaxy S2. all that phone did was put amazing hardware with a software experience that was smooth and stable. Almost a first for any Android phone. I was really hoping HTC would have followed that blueprint.
    Samsung wants you to think they make an TouchWiz phone that runs Android, just like HTC wants you to think they make a Sense phone that runs Android.

    That's the beauty of Android.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  10. #35  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Newsflash: nobody bought a Galaxy S3 because of TouchWiz. In fact, TouchWiz is exactly why people buy Nexus phones.
    Are you saying that NOBODY bought the S3 or the Note 2 because of features like multi Window, popup video, smart stay, photo share, S-beam... Etc?

    You are right to say that HTC needs to market the phone properly. And that Samsung's success in the last year has been because of their marketing, but the main reason that Samsung's marketing campaign worked in the first place is that it showcased these very features that you claim people don't care for.
    Thanked by:
  11. #36  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by fnair View Post
    Are you saying that NOBODY bought the S3 or the Note 2 because of features like multi Window, popup video, smart stay, photo share, S-beam... Etc?

    You are right to say that HTC needs to market the phone properly. And that Samsung's success in the last year has been because of their marketing, but the main reason that Samsung's marketing campaign worked in the first place is that it showcased these very features that you claim people don't care for.
    I think the intent with that statement is that the regular mainstream buyers don't know that those features are a part of TouchWiz or that Samsung interface is called TouchWiz. Yes, they bought it because of advertised features, but they don't know that it's TouchWiz.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  12. #37  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Nah more like Deja Vu. Feel like I'm watching the one series be a announced all over again, and I see nothing that really makes me want to throw my Nexus on ebay. More like HTCs last stand.

    But to be fair do they really have a shot anyway? Kinda seems like this is now a 2 horse race between apple and Sammy. Samsung has made a name for its self with its galaxy phones, and they are literally stealing isheep. These people don't know anything about specs, they are just galaxy sheep now lol.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  13. #38  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    These people don't know anything about specs, they are just galaxy sheep now lol.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I'd give them more credit than that.
  14. #39  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Samsung has done a good job, so I give them plenty of credit. But as far as htc just seems like they are just doing the same thing again. If they want this thing to sell, they better market it like crazy, and directly attack Samsung. As far as the minority, right now only the minority is taking notice, the GP currently don't know it exists, and still won't at launch unless they market it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  15. #40  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    With dumb HTC fanboys bashing Samsung and ignoring the shortcomings of their own pppreciousss, no wonder HTC can't be saved.

    Things I would change immediately about the new HTC One:

    1. Make it 5". Everyone else is moving on to this size. With thinner bezels, they are the new 4.7" phones. The Butterfly doesn't count. It's half-hearted.
    2. Put a bigger sensor and up your camera back to 8MP. With Ultrapixels.
    3. Your video capture still sucks. Why does it still look like a really bad porno?
    4. Remove the stupid blinkfeed or turn it into a smaller widget that's off to the side. I like the new sense look but it's being shortchanged by that stupid feed and losing focus.
  16. #41  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    With dumb HTC fanboys bashing Samsung and ignoring the shortcomings of their own pppreciousss, no wonder HTC can't be saved.

    Things I would change immediately about the new HTC One:

    1. Make it 5". Everyone else is moving on to this size. With thinner bezels, they are the new 4.7" phones. The Butterfly doesn't count. It's half-hearted.
    2. Put a bigger sensor and up your camera back to 8MP. With Ultrapixels.
    3. Your video capture still sucks. Why does it still look like a really bad porno?
    4. Remove the stupid blinkfeed or turn it into a smaller widget that's off to the side. I like the new sense look but it's being shortchanged by that stupid feed and losing focus.
    Yes. THAT WILL SOLVE EVERYTHING! lol
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    Samsung has done a good job, so I give them plenty of credit. But as far as htc just seems like they are just doing the same thing again. If they want this thing to sell, they better market it like crazy, and directly attack Samsung. As far as the minority, right now only the minority is taking notice, the GP currently don't know it exists, and still won't at launch unless they market it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I mean the people you call "galaxy sheep."
  18. #43  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    With dumb HTC fanboys bashing Samsung and ignoring the shortcomings of their own pppreciousss, no wonder HTC can't be saved.

    Things I would change immediately about the new HTC One:

    1. Make it 5". Everyone else is moving on to this size. With thinner bezels, they are the new 4.7" phones. The Butterfly doesn't count. It's half-hearted.
    2. Put a bigger sensor and up your camera back to 8MP. With Ultrapixels.
    3. Your video capture still sucks. Why does it still look like a really bad porno?
    4. Remove the stupid blinkfeed or turn it into a smaller widget that's off to the side. I like the new sense look but it's being shortchanged by that stupid feed and losing focus.
    Nope.

    You haven't seen the camera yet. The video capture/camera performance was more or less identical on the One X/GS III/Note II.

    And you're missing the point. If they fail, they won't fail because of .3" in screen size or .05 inches in bezel. Marketing, marketing, marketing. That's it. Look past Android forum geeks. Average users don't care about those minute, minute differences.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 02-19-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Moderator cleanup
    Topgonzo likes this.
  19. #44  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    I know we're all excited and live to debate, compare and discuss but let's not take things to a personal level against other members.

    The device was just officially announced today. Very few people have had actual limited hands on with the device and we don't even have official specs on anything related to Samsung's next release so let's be realistic everyone.

    Thanks & have fun :-)

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:
  20. #45  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    I mean the people you call "galaxy sheep."
    I didn't mean all galaxy s3 owners, I was just talking about your general public, the people who had to have a razr, then moved on to iphones. The people you ask if they got jelly bean yet and they give you a weird look.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  21. #46  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by fnair View Post
    Are you saying that NOBODY bought the S3 or the Note 2 because of features like multi Window, popup video, smart stay, photo share, S-beam... Etc?

    You are right to say that HTC needs to market the phone properly. And that Samsung's success in the last year has been because of their marketing, but the main reason that Samsung's marketing campaign worked in the first place is that it showcased these very features that you claim people don't care for.
    No, I guess not. However, I wouldn't give much, if any, credit to the manufacturers "3rd party" UI. All that is is basically an overlay on top of Android, right? I actually (sadly) haven't heard of "Multi Window" (because I hate Samsung and refuse to buy their products). It sounds like a multitasking OS function?

    To be sure, Samsung can add some functionality to Android that some may find appealing. But I seriously doubt that is the reason why the Note or the S3 are popular. When I see the comments, it's a lot of "ooh, shiny new toy I want." Just sayin.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  22. #47  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    With dumb HTC fanboys bashing Samsung and ignoring the shortcomings of their own pppreciousss, no wonder HTC can't be saved.

    Things I would change immediately about the new HTC One:

    1. Make it 5". Everyone else is moving on to this size. With thinner bezels, they are the new 4.7" phones. The Butterfly doesn't count. It's half-hearted.
    2. Put a bigger sensor and up your camera back to 8MP. With Ultrapixels.
    3. Your video capture still sucks. Why does it still look like a really bad porno?
    4. Remove the stupid blinkfeed or turn it into a smaller widget that's off to the side. I like the new sense look but it's being shortchanged by that stupid feed and losing focus.
    HTC fanboys hold the destiny of HTC Corporation in their hands? You say make it 5", but the Butterfly (which is 5") doesn't count because it is half-hearted according to you. A 5" phone is only truly 5", when it's not an HTC. If the next Galaxy is 4.99" as rumored, will that be a nogo also?
    BigDinCA likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,177 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    No, I guess not. However, I wouldn't give much, if any, credit to the manufacturers "3rd party" UI. All that is is basically an overlay on top of Android, right? I actually (sadly) haven't heard of "Multi Window" (because I hate Samsung and refuse to buy their products). It sounds like a multitasking OS function?

    To be sure, Samsung can add some functionality to Android that some may find appealing. But I seriously doubt that is the reason why the Note or the S3 are popular. When I see the comments, it's a lot of "ooh, shiny new toy I want." Just sayin.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Most people dont even know what android is. The closest thing they can identify is "Droid." If everyone put nothing but stock android, there would be so little differentiation that there would be no reason for anyone but google to make phones. And last time i checked, Google was not exactly pushing the envelope on stock android or putting out a bunch of super competitive devices meant for the mass market every year. Feature-wise stock is usually behind the skins. This is because this is what google wants. They want the oems to use android as a base and compete with each other. This mean better devices and more over all market share for android. Android is the skeleton, skins are the meat on the bone that people actually see and identify.

    Plus if it were not for manufacture skins, Android would have less than half the features and advancements it has today. There i said it.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Thanked by:
    acles003 and Ry like this.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    Thanks NoYankees.

    Interesting, I had it conceived as just the opposite: Google was on the cutting edge, doing the innovation, making more features, etc, and the manufacturers were the "bad guys" messing up the pureness. Well, that may have been true in the beginning. But with Sense and TW, there's been so much progress, it really has had the effect you mentioned: the 3rd party creating something custom and innovative.

    I think this issue is one of those subjects that can be obtuse, and I'll tell you why: people tend to lump the manufacturers overlay together with the carriers bloatware. They say things like "I rooted because Sense had all this garbage installed." well, that actually wasn't Sense, it was Verizon, or AT&T, or whoever. You get the picture.

    That's just my opinion.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  25. #50  

    Default Re: HTC's Savior?

    I dont know if its a savior or not....but the One X....if I could have I woulda got that. If I could get this I would.

    And.....I dont really like HTC phones...

    I am seriously thinking about getting a plan with AT&T. HTC and Samsung has got my attention the past year. I swore off both after the G Nex and Rezound. The One X and GS3 got my attention. Moto still gets first preference tho...

    And for the benchmark fiends....the One has some nice scores....if you are into that type of thing.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HTC Hero Protector / Skin
    By adpollard in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
  2. Palm Pre or HTC Hero?
    By mjfadaway in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
  3. HTC Hero Questions
    By Chaos_Fonez in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
  4. HTC Hero
    By Chaos_Fonez in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 02:26 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions