Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Default Re: HTC's Savior?

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Thanks NoYankees.

Interesting, I had it conceived as just the opposite: Google was on the cutting edge, doing the innovation, making more features, etc, and the manufacturers were the "bad guys" messing up the pureness. Well, that may have been true in the beginning. But with Sense and TW, there's been so much progress, it really has had the effect you mentioned: the 3rd party creating something custom and innovative.

I think this issue is one of those subjects that can be obtuse, and I'll tell you why: people tend to lump the manufacturers overlay together with the carriers bloatware. They say things like "I rooted because Sense had all this garbage installed." well, that actually wasn't Sense, it was Verizon, or AT&T, or whoever. You get the picture.

That's just my opinion.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    No innovation or cutting-edge tech can save people from being ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    No innovation or cutting-edge tech can save people from being ignorant.
    True that.

I had a one x... The software was horrible!!!! Constant crashes...

So I bought a galaxy s3. Sadly that was way over hyped and wound up buying a nexus 4..

It totally buy this one.... It's a killer phone, the new sense ui is awesome and the best overlay on android IMO... And I miss my camera on it...

Sadly there's that Samsung brand and galaxy brand to hurdle over... People just want that brand just like they hurray want an iPhone...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

I haven't used sense 4 extensively but I hated sense 3.6 on my vivid. Lots of reasons like every app that wasn't a sense app ran slow, themeing clashed bad with the holo themeing, overscroll glow and crt off animations were disabled, voice dialer was straight missing, couldn't switch launchers because the lockscreen shortcuts were tied to the bar and it would run anyway. android was "upgrading" every boot, thus making your boot time take way too long, see overall I felt like sense was in the way of ics, it didn't compliment it, and overall hindered the experience. So I gotta ask HOX owners does 4 seem better, because my first impressions of sense on both my flyer tablet and vivid are pretty poor.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

People bash HTC for not doing updates quick but according to this article I was reading recently they are the quickest.

Which Android manufacturer is the fastest to update its devices? Which carrier?

Ironic huh cause I always thought they where slowest, since my good ol desire never got past 2.2
    Topgonzo likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Lulz at people saying Touchwiz is "less" obtrusive than Sense.

IMO Sense at least keeps to Holo standards sometimes. When I pick up an S3 I don't even feel like I'm using Android.

Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Lulz at people saying Touchwiz is "less" obtrusive than Sense
    I'm not sure about Sense but I can agree Touchwiz was in the past and is even more now heavily themed/customized over a stock Android experience.

Not that it doesn't look good or work but its far from Pure Google in any way.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I'm not sure about Sense but I can agree Touchwiz was in the past and is even more now heavily themed/customized over a stock Android experience.

Not that it doesn't look good or work but its far from Pure Google in any way.
    My point being that both companies make substantial changes to Android and the underlying framework, with HTC at least keeping SOME Holo elements. I can tell I'm still using Android with a Sense 4 device.

Paul627g likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

And to be fair, using a replacement launcher with Sense takes away most of the stuff people don't like about it.

Updating to the newest version of android wouldn't be my concern so much as the little updates these manufacturers ignore. See my vivid was a great phone on gingerbread but ics brought a plethora of bugs that were never addressed. Reality is with a skinned version of android you may not need the newest version of android, as you may already have most of the features anyway, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if most OEM's just skip out on 4.2 since the biggest changes only affect the core apps anyway, but they shouldn't give up on their products. Release the update and then patch it till its perfect. That doesn't seem too much to ask, yet in my experience HTC fails to do that. I'm speaking from a pure stock experience too, I know you can fix alot of stuff yourself by rooting, but majority of the population don't even know what that is nor are they willing to do it

Not to say that it's close to stock Android, but look at these Touchwiz elements vs. Sense: Multitasking/Recent apps is much closer to stock on Touchwiz than Sense. App association on Touchwiz vs god awful HTC linkify, granted that's not all HTC's doing thanks to US customs and Apple. Transitions when opening web links behave closer to stock on Touchwiz than Sense. The app and notification drawers are both different, but I think Touchwiz is again closer to stock than Sense. Just my opinion after using Sense for 3 years, stock on my Nexus 7 for a few months, and Touchwiz for a couple weeks.
    Last edited by mammo3; 02-20-2013 at 11:50 AM.

i'm unsure how to feel about the HTC ONE. It looks like a nice phone aesthetically speaking, but even then I'm still not wowed. As far as build quality I have always preferred HTC phones but lately with this whole unibody trend I started shying away from them. One advantage plastic has over metal is that its cheap and easily replaceable. If I scratch or scuff the back plate of a samsung phone.. boom $5 gets me a new one on ebay, but scratch one of HTC more recent phones and the whole body needs replacing and that isn't to say that will be an easy task. I don't think this will be the year htc dominates the market. I think the HTC ONE will keep them from completely dropping out of relevancy and maybe gain a few followers, but unless they can demonstrate they are willing to support their hardware beyond 7 months no one is going to buy into them again. In the world we live in today consumers don't make their minds up about purchases from advertising it's mostly by word of mouth or trends. This is why apple has dominance people just wanna fit in and now the same can be said for samsung. Bad news travels faster than good news and unless positive things start being said about them soon by the general public then they wont make it. The biggest markets aren't the tech savvy or nerds but highschool & college students who just usually are comfortable owning whatever phone their friend has who usually ended up with it because someone told them it was hot. next are old folks who don't care what's popular only ease of use. "Damn a widget", they might say, I just want to make a call here and there. Which leads me into my next point. Blinkfeed or whatever they are calling it is stupid. Long gone are the days where people monitored their facebook and twitter accounts like hawks. The current solutions for getting updates and news are doing just fine and there was no need to introduce a feature that no one needed and is a staple of the UI. Unless it can be completely shut off and not just slid to the side I know I wont consider buying it. Not everyone is a social media hound.The early leaks of sense 5 lead us to believe they trimmed the fat, but in truth they look like they have gained a few pounds. I will save final judgement for when I see and play with it in person but just like alot of consumers I have basically wrote them off in favor of apple or samsung.. and I have never even owned a samsung smh.
    Sent from my HTC EVO 4G....

.....yeah the LTE version
    Thanked by:

once again HTC proves that they are hands down the best HARDWARE manufacturer for Android. But they're up against Samsung in the department of features and advertising. if they can't go one on one with Sammy on those fronts then it's game over before they even sell anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan808 View Post
    once again HTC proves that they are hands down the best HARDWARE manufacturer for Android. But they're up against Samsung in the department of features and advertising. if they can't go one on one with Sammy on those fronts then it's game over before they even sell anything.
    Well even in terms of hardware whether or not HTC is the best is going to depend on each individual's preference. Some might prefer the plastic body of Samsung's devices cause it makes them nice and light. Though that's obviously a small part of the "hardware." Still, the S4 might have even better hardware, we don't know yet.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

About freakin time they put the speakers on the front. Battery & storage are a bit disappointing.

Blinkfeed can be shut off, for those of you familiar with Sense, it's one of your "scene" options, and yeah I agree, it's stupid

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    About freakin time they put the speakers on the front. Battery & storage are a bit disappointing.
    Yet another person that judges the battery by its mAh number. Also how is 64GB disappointing? How much more do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by skoolboi View Post
    i'm unsure how to feel about the HTC ONE. It looks like a nice phone aesthetically speaking, but even then I'm still not wowed. As far as build quality I have always preferred HTC phones but lately with this whole unibody trend I started shying away from them. One advantage plastic has over metal is that its cheap and easily replaceable. If I scratch or scuff the back plate of a samsung phone.. boom $5 gets me a new one on ebay, but scratch one of HTC more recent phones and the whole body needs replacing and that isn't to say that will be an easy task. I don't think this will be the year htc dominates the market. I think the HTC ONE will keep them from completely dropping out of relevancy and maybe gain a few followers, but unless they can demonstrate they are willing to support their hardware beyond 7 months no one is going to buy into them again. In the world we live in today consumers don't make their minds up about purchases from advertising it's mostly by word of mouth or trends. This is why apple has dominance people just wanna fit in and now the same can be said for samsung. Bad news travels faster than good news and unless positive things start being said about them soon by the general public then they wont make it. The biggest markets aren't the tech savvy or nerds but highschool & college students who just usually are comfortable owning whatever phone their friend has who usually ended up with it because someone told them it was hot. next are old folks who don't care what's popular only ease of use. "Damn a widget", they might say, I just want to make a call here and there. Which leads me into my next point. Blinkfeed or whatever they are calling it is stupid. Long gone are the days where people monitored their facebook and twitter accounts like hawks. The current solutions for getting updates and news are doing just fine and there was no need to introduce a feature that no one needed and is a staple of the UI. Unless it can be completely shut off and not just slid to the side I know I wont consider buying it. Not everyone is a social media hound.The early leaks of sense 5 lead us to believe they trimmed the fat, but in truth they look like they have gained a few pounds. I will save final judgement for when I see and play with it in person but just like alot of consumers I have basically wrote them off in favor of apple or samsung.. and I have never even owned a samsung smh.
    So many inaccuracies in your statement, it's hard to know where to begin.

1. "I like cheap plastic phones because if I break mine, I can buy it new for $5 on Ebay." Yes, I understand your addiction to cheap consumer goods, that's why we move all our manufacturing over to China, no?

2. "Unless HTC vows to update the One with regular software updates, it's not going to be successful. No one will buy it." This statement is pure ignorance and just laughable, given that most most all major tech blogs have refuted this.

3. "I want a removable SD card, and if HTC doesn't offer one, I'm going to whine and flame the One because I want my removable SD card!" Too bad, 64GB is what you get. Plenty of storage for the majority, I have no problems with it.

Ry and Topgonzo like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,491 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skoolboi View Post
    I think the HTC ONE will keep them from completely dropping out of relevancy and maybe gain a few followers, but unless they can demonstrate they are willing to support their hardware beyond 7 months no one is going to buy into them again. In the world we live in today consumers don't make their minds up about purchases from advertising it's mostly by word of mouth or trends. This is why apple has dominance people just wanna fit in and now the same can be said for samsung. Bad news travels faster than good news and unless positive things start being said about them soon by the general public then they wont make it. The biggest markets aren't the tech savvy or nerds but highschool & college students who just usually are comfortable owning whatever phone their friend has who usually ended up with it because someone told them it was hot. next are old folks who don't care what's popular only ease of use.
    lol.

Regular consumers don't care all too much about OS updates. Tech blogs will whine about it.

Um. Advertising and marketing is what leads to word of mouth and trends.

The iPhone 4 got tons of bad press (see: antennagate) but Apple still made money hand over fist.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Yet another person that judges the battery by its mAh number
    I'll bet you $1000 my MAXX HD will outlast the One by HOURS.
    Also how is 64GB disappointing? How much more do you need?
    160GB was available in the iPod in 2007. A 128GB iPad is available. Music collections are large, music management programs like iTunes are nonexistent on Android (and cloud-based sucks). High fidelity audio (FLAC) requires large amounts of storage. It's 2013, we should not need to only have access to a handful of music.

However, it is extremely unlikely that this phone will have a Wolfson DAC, so the audio quality is likely to be sub-par. Beats Audio is a marketing gimmick, as it's only a software EQ curve.

I'd like to use a single mobile device as a music player, phone, video player etc. Until storage increases, multiple devices are still required.
    21stNow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    I'll bet you $1000 my MAXX HD will outlast the One by HOURS.

160GB was available in the iPod in 2007. A 128GB iPad is available. Music collections are large, music management programs like iTunes are nonexistent on Android (and cloud-based sucks). High fidelity audio (FLAC) requires large amounts of storage. It's 2013, we should not need to only have access to a handful of music.

However, it is extremely unlikely that this phone will have a Wolfson DAC, so the audio quality is likely to be sub-par. Beats Audio is a marketing gimmick, as it's only a software EQ curve.

I'd like to use a single mobile device as a music player, phone, video player etc. Until storage increases, multiple devices are still required.
    If it did beat the One by that much then you're obviously using it to check the time every 4 hours and nothing else.

Also, how many people do you think even came close to filling that 160GB iPod, and no-one bloody cares about that new iPad, its just another Apple money-grab. They're not gonna waste time putting in more memory for the few people that need freaking 200GB worth of stuff on their device, 64 GB is more than enough for the majority and that's what they're focusing on.

If that's what you want then buy a tablet with a microSD slot.
    Topgonzo likes this.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

If it did beat the One by that much then you're obviously using it to check the time every 4 hours and nothing else.
    The MAXX HD has a 3300 mAh battery. It's nearly impossible for me to get it under 30% with heavy usage (4+ hours screen time, 3+ hours talk time).
    If that's what you want then buy a tablet with a microSD slot.
    If manufactures are incapable of a high capacity device (which is fine), then all I ask is a Wolfson DAC witha microSD slot. Simple, really.

BTW, do you honestly believe that most peoples digital media collection (movies & music) will fit on a 64GB device? How many 1080 resolution movies do you think will fit in 64GB?
    Banned

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Anyone that stores their entire music and video collections on phones are idiots imho!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!
    Topgonzo likes this.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattails_r_Edible View Post
    Anyone that stores their entire music and video collections on phones are idiots imho!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!
    Right, so inconvenient to have your entire collection in your hand.
    I'm sure you've never wanted to listen to something you owned but wasn't on your device.

I wonder where HTC got it's design inspiration from :

Dreamliner (do you work for Boeing Btw?) it's true that the One doesn't have a gigantic battery. You can't use the screen for 4 hours, and calls for 3 hours, and still have 20% battery.

If that's what you want in a phone, then don't buy it. I think HTC understands the vast market, and that most people aren't going to need 4 hours of screen use between charges.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast