Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Default Re: No verizon??

Quote Originally Posted by zhawks View Post
    The Nexus 4 tempts me on a daily basis to jump ship, but AT&T and T-mobile coverage isn't the greatest where I live. US Cellular is the only other option besides Verizon. I'll just have to buy developer edition or Nexus phones if I stay with Verizon. It would be interesting to see if Phone manufacturers like HTC could side step the carrier branding (etc.) by offering off-contract/unlocked phones directly to customers to create more brand identity for themselves. I can only imagine the lawsuits coming from Verizon claiming that such unlocked phones put their network in jeopardy.
    You can't do that with CDMA phones. The ESN has to be in the system for the phone to work on the network. So, unless approved by Verizon, It's a no go.

There have been some developer phones available, I would also like to see that option pick up. They're approved by VZW, but bought from the manufacturer. (Not sure about branding on the phone though)

Guess it might be time to finally sever ties with Verizon after many years. Both Sprint and AT&T have made major inroads expanding LTE in my area. I like the DNA but not enough to pay $600 off-contract for it to keep my unlimited data.

The HTC One really appeals to me so far. I'm looking forward to hitting a retail store once this becomes available. There is no substitute for some hands-on experience IMHO but I can actually imagine myself changing carriers at this point. Not just because of the One but there have been many little things about Verizon and their attitude towards their customers as time has passed that are all adding up to one big PITA.

The tipping point has been reached.

ROM
    KK 4.4.3

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    I totally get what you are saying, still not a big deal for me. At least if VZW gets this phone, there is very little room for Verizon branding on the front...although I'm sure they will find a way if possible!
    I am saddened by the branding on the Droid DNA and the Moto phones. I'm not buying a Verizon phone, I'm buying a <insert brand name here> phone. Sadly that's not how Verizon sees things, so we get logos. The way they treated the Note 2, however, is shameful; talk about shoehorning in the logo at any cost.

As for a hypothetical Verizon HTC One, it would not surprise me if they replaced HTC's logo with their own.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    You can't do that with CDMA phones. The ESN has to be in the system for the phone to work on the network. So, unless approved by Verizon, It's a no go.

There have been some developer phones available, I would also like to see that option pick up. They're approved by VZW, but bought from the manufacturer. (Not sure about branding on the phone though)
    Technically, it's not a CDMA issue. It's an issue with how Verizon and Sprint have implemented access to their CDMA networks.

Just sayin'.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cadzilla74 View Post
    Guess it might be time to finally sever ties with Verizon after many years. Both Sprint and AT&T have made major inroads expanding LTE in my area. I like the DNA but not enough to pay $600 off-contract for it to keep my unlimited data.

The HTC One really appeals to me so far. I'm looking forward to hitting a retail store once this becomes available. There is no substitute for some hands-on experience IMHO but I can actually imagine myself changing carriers at this point. Not just because of the One but there have been many little things about Verizon and their attitude towards their customers as time has passed that are all adding up to one big PITA.

The tipping point has been reached.
    I agree. I think this has done it for me. I've been following the M7 One development online since December. I want that phone.
    I'm NOT getting the DNA.

I'm looking into breaking my contract and moving on. This is the phone I've been waiting for. It appeals to me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Stay tuned.
    Phil..please..what do you know?
    I definitely need to know before I spend the cash to break my Verizon contract to get this phone!
    Please Phil??

Verizon is seriously the worst. I really do hate them. Sadly, my hands are tied, they have the best coverage in my area. when i see stuff like this, phone selection, release delays, the delays of firmware/software, locked bootloaders, the pricing structure, upgrade structure, etc. it makes me insane, then once i calm down, back to reality. stuck!

they are sooo stupid. there executive team is a bunch of idiots!!!! a couple of MAJOR idiotic decisions were passing on SIRI and passing on iPhone....NICE, that just goes to show their leadership is lacking smart forward thinking people.
    nneptune likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bamabun View Post
    Verizon is seriously the worst. I really do hate them. Sadly, my hands are tied, they have the best coverage in my area. when i see stuff like this, phone selection, release delays, the delays of firmware/software, locked bootloaders, the pricing structure, upgrade structure, etc. it makes me insane, then once i calm down, back to reality. stuck!
    Why don't you give someone else a try?

Quote Originally Posted by bamabun View Post
    they are sooo stupid. there executive team is a bunch of idiots!!!! a couple of MAJOR idiotic decisions were passing on SIRI and passing on iPhone....NICE, that just goes to show their leadership is lacking smart forward thinking people.
    Initially passing on the iPhone was a definite blunder but in know way did that pass on Siri. Before Apple bought Siri, Verizon had a deal that would have made Siri an integral part of their DROID line. Apple bought Siri and put an end to that deal.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts

Default No verizon??

Stay tuned.
    Hmm. Come on Phil. Give us a cookie.
    nneptune and Ry like this.

The DNA is not a suitable replacement for this phone. The DNA to some of us is on the large side of phones. Also it is restricted to 16GB of internal storage. I was super excited for this phone and now I am just stuck since I have 4 lines on Verizon and the contracts won't all be over until the end of this year.

It's even worse when I work for Best Buy Mobile and I see the AT&T and Sprint side of the store constantly getting new phones that Verizon doesn't get (HTC One Series and LG Optimus G most notably).
    nneptune likes this.

There's a Verizon page where everyone can commiserate together. Seems as though quite a few people may be leaving for other carriers, including me.
    Feel free to join in: https://community.verizonwireless.co...rt=10&tstart=0

thanks...

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts

Default No verizon??

Quote Originally Posted by nneptune View Post
    There's a Verizon page where everyone can commiserate together. Seems as though quite a few people may be leaving for other carriers, including me.
    Feel free to join in: https://community.verizonwireless.co...rt=10&tstart=0

thanks...
    Drat. I would love to leave Verizon, but sadly, I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by bassdelux15 View Post
    They already have the Droid DNA on Verizon. I don't think HTC wants to cannibalize their own phone
    That's a shame because the One is everything the DNA should have been.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"
    LCW and Darth Spock like this.

Stay tuned.
    Ok Phil, I have one upgrade I'll hold onto...

im on verizon an the statement that verizon likes to space out releases is so true. im fine with them passing for now...an as phil hinted at. there will be a variant that will replace the dna. dna was good i almost replaced my thunderbolt with it. but found a steal on gal nexus. i 100% agree with the person that said droid incredible one. dna was last years variant of the one series. verizon might also have pass knowing what samsung has coming. but personally im waiting for the moto x / next nexus. lets just hope verizon doesnt miss those.

ROM
    None

I like my DNA so much I don't really care. Im really happy with this handset.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ezduzit and revtech like this.

I think verizon probably had something in place with HTC to sell X units of the DNA first. I think they will get some different version of the ONE maybe labeled as a DROID or something with maybe some different specs. I just think they will wait a few months first.

Quote Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
    The DNA is not a suitable replacement for this phone. The DNA to some of us is on the large side of phones. Also it is restricted to 16GB of internal storage. I was super excited for this phone and now I am just stuck since I have 4 lines on Verizon and the contracts won't all be over until the end of this year.

It's even worse when I work for Best Buy Mobile and I see the AT&T and Sprint side of the store constantly getting new phones that Verizon doesn't get (HTC One Series and LG Optimus G most notably).
    you do realize the one with its smaller screen is almost nearly as big as the DNA? http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/19...galaxy-note-2/
    Thanked by:
    HPBolt 

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Why don't you give someone else a try?

Initially passing on the iPhone was a definite blunder but in know way did that pass on Siri. Before Apple bought Siri, Verizon had a deal that would have made Siri an integral part of their DROID line. Apple bought Siri and put an end to that deal.
    but just imagine if they didnt pass on the iphone how much less push android would have gotten and it still to this day would probably be tiny if it wasnt for verizon trying to combat the iphone.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    HPBolt likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I am Fake Jesus View Post
    im on verizon an the statement that verizon likes to space out releases is so true. im fine with them passing for now...an as phil hinted at. there will be a variant that will replace the dna. dna was good i almost replaced my thunderbolt with it. but found a steal on gal nexus. i 100% agree with the person that said droid incredible one. dna was last years variant of the one series. verizon might also have pass knowing what samsung has coming. but personally im waiting for the moto x / next nexus. lets just hope verizon doesnt miss those.
    Space out releases?

See 2011 - (delayed) DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Rezound, Galaxy Nexus.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    Back on topic, I hope VZW gets a variation of this phone, and a new Motorola X or whatever it might be. Add the new GS4 coming soon, that's a powerful lineup for 2013!
    Agreed. Don't forget about the supposed RAZR X. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    lpt2569 likes this.

Ok, I'm going to ask for some clarity. Does Verizon buy up 1,000,000 phones to offer on it's network ? Or does HTC sell them lots at a time. The reason I am asking, is I don't see the argument of cannibalizing the DNA market if they introduce the HTC One. Who cares what happens to the DNA market if it means more customers buying a new phone. That is, unless that sticks Verizon with 50,000 DNA's they can't sell because the HTC One is better and the same price.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    Scotts CleanRom 4.3

Stay tuned.
    Leads me to believe that there will be an upgrade to the DNA or Incredible name plate. Keeping the 5" screen, inductive charging DROID branding with a bump in specs ie processor, camera, space coming from the HTC One.....Just my 2cents

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

If it comes to Verizon, I may drop the Note 2 for it. I have considered trading the Note 2 for the DNA. The size of the phone is starting to give me hand cramps.

- - - Updated - - -
    HPBolt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Coming to Verizon in June as the DROID Incredible One.
    Now with City ID Widget!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast