Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Default Re: Small battery

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Buying a portable power supply was the best investment I made in a long time. Not only is it small enough to carry around on my person, but it will charge any of my phones/devices. Much more versatile than buying extra batteries that can only be used in one device.
    Spot on.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    Any models you would recommend? I might pick one up too.
    I've only tried out one model so far, so I can't really offer advice about which one may be best for your uses. I have an Anker 5600mAh charger and it's treated me well over the past year.

Maybe check out this post? I know it's webOS-specific, but this article contains a pretty good comparison of available portable power supplies. They should work fine with Android devices too. I'm sure there are tons of similar comparison articles out there.

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    It's not really fair to compare the DNA to the One. The One has a smaller screen and a 2300 mAh battery. The DNA's battery is 2020 mAh. Let's wait until the first in depth reviews come out before bashing the battery.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    I agree...

but I also wonder how much it will cost to get the battery replaced after the warranty runs out.

I hate iPhones because of non-removable battery, but at least Apple is very generous with battery replacement service.(reasonably priced)

I've only tried out one model so far, so I can't really offer advice about which one may be best for your uses. I have an Anker 5600mAh charger and it's treated me well over the past year.

Maybe check out this post? I know it's webOS-specific, but this article contains a pretty good comparison of available portable power supplies. They should work fine with Android devices too. I'm sure there are tons of similar comparison articles out there.
    I'll do some research then when I have more time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

No I meant better screen because its better than the dna also I wasnt trying to bash the phones battery life I hope it gets great battery life but just going off of specs I would say its questionable. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by qICEM4Np View Post
    No I meant better screen because its better than the dna also I wasnt trying to bash the phones battery life I hope it gets great battery life but just going off of specs I would say its questionable. Just my humble opinion.
    Based on specs, unless Sense 5 turns out to be a power hungry monster, it would be reasonable to assume that the battery will be better than the DNA, which already manages to get universally decent battery life considering its 5" 1080 screen and "small" battery.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Buying a portable power supply was the best investment I made in a long time. Not only is it small enough to carry around on my person, but it will charge any of my phones/devices. Much more versatile than buying extra batteries that can only be used in one device.
    You forgot the best part....there is no need to power down the device and stop whatever it was that you were doing. Better than the infamous "quick swap" that some swear by. There's nothing quick about: power off, remove cover, replace battery, replace back cover that fell on ground, reboot, wait, wait, wait, start.
    Darth Spock likes this.

2300mah is not a small battery. Some of the 5" quad-core phones have even smaller batteries. The size is more than enough.

It will probably have excellent battery life. Haha I can't wait to get a new phone. Im still rockin 1500 mah. Which I believe is close to the i5 actually, mah isnt everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Exhibit 4G using Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Habiib View Post
    You forgot the best part....there is no need to power down the device and stop whatever it was that you were doing. Better than the infamous "quick swap" that some swear by. There's nothing quick about: power off, remove cover, replace battery, replace back cover that fell on ground, reboot, wait, wait, wait, start.
    But your phone is still tethered to the portable power supply for the duration it takes to charge. It's the same thing even with wireless charging. In either case, it's not very practical to put the whole charging unit and phone up to your ear or hold both while trying to use the phone. With a user replaceable battery, that's not the case as the phone is free to be used untethered to anything. As to the time to swap out a battery, it's a heck of lot shorter than the time it takes to wait for a charge while you're tethered to some type of charger. I take my time and have it done in two minutes tops. Not to mention an occasional power down and reboot reloads/refreshes the operating system and keeps things running smoothly as Android tends to get laggy the longer it's been running (even my Nexus 7 with vanilla Android and minimal installed apps does). Until battery tech drastically changes, you'll never convince me a sealed/embedded battery is better than a user replaceable one.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    But your phone is still tethered to the portable power supply for the duration it takes to charge. It's the same thing even with wireless charging. In either case, it's not very practical to put the whole charging unit and phone up to your ear or hold both while trying to use the phone. With a user replaceable battery, that's not the case as the phone is free to be used untethered to anything. As to the time to swap out a battery, it's a heck of lot shorter than the time it takes to wait for a charge while you're tethered to some type of charger. I take my time and have it done in two minutes tops. Not to mention an occasional power down and reboot reloads/refreshes the operating system and keeps things running smoothly as Android tends to get laggy the longer it's been running (even my Nexus 7 with vanilla Android and minimal installed apps does). Until battery tech drastically changes, you'll never convince me a sealed/embedded battery is better than a user replaceable one.
    I could say the opposite myself. My phone is on a charger at least 70% of the day, and not because it has to, but because having it tethered is such a nonissue that I really just don't care. If I need it to make a call, I unplug it; I'd do the same thing with a portable battery pack. Having to pull the battery out, or put one in, actually annoys me and has annoyed me for every one of the four times I even had to do it; two of those four times was from dropping the phone and the battery falling out; one was to clean it; the last was because I had to take the battery out to put the SD card in. What if my embedded battery dies? Well, if it's on warranty, I'd get a replacement; if the device is not, there would now be a reason to catch up with the latest and greatest. With how the smartphone industry is, I don't see a real need for user replaceable batteries.

I have a Thunderbolt if that puts anything into perspective.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999
    Darth Spock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prinny Mask View Post
    I could say the opposite myself. My phone is on a charger at least 70% of the day, and not because it has to, but because having it tethered is such a nonissue that I really just don't care. If I need it to make a call, I unplug it; I'd do the same thing with a portable battery pack. Having to pull the battery out, or put one in, actually annoys me and has annoyed me for every one of the four times I even had to do it; two of those four times was from dropping the phone and the battery falling out; one was to clean it; the last was because I had to take the battery out to put the SD card in. What if my embedded battery dies? Well, if it's on warranty, I'd get a replacement; if the device is not, there would now be a reason to catch up with the latest and greatest. With how the smartphone industry is, I don't see a real need for user replaceable batteries.

I have a Thunderbolt if that puts anything into perspective.
    Yikes! Having to constantly un-plug/plug into a charge to keep the phone topped off would drive me crazy, not to mention put a lot of wear and tear on the USB port. Even when I had the Thunderbolt I never did that, instead preferred the option to replace a battery on the fly. Now with the Note 2 I don't need to do that as often, but having the option is invaluable to me as I can use the phone however I wish without having to worry about grabbing a charge here or there or having the phone stuck to a charger for the duration to fully charge the battery. Instead I already have a fully charged spare battery waiting to go at any time, just swap and go. But to each their own, whatever works best for you. I simply refuse to yield to a sealed/embedded battery. Too many negatives to any real positives IMO. Besides, why take away choice? Even if you have a phone with a user-replaceable battery, you don't have to swap it out if you don't want to, whereas those of us who do lose the option altogether with a sealed/embedded battery.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,905 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    In my opinion the DNA and HTC one pretty much even each other out on pros and cons since the pros are by such a minimal margin. The HTC one has a smaller screen than the DNA with a more dense pixel arrangement (which is honestly irrelevant since the human eye cant detect the pixels at that large a number without a micro lense) a slightly faster processor by .2 ghz, a slighty larger battery, but less megapixels in the camera (even though they are "super pixels" I would have to see to believe), and both have nonexpandable storage, although the HTC one will be available in larger Gb versions. The HTC one has the new sense, but runs on the same older version of android as the DNA. Since the DNA was released earlier, its likely to recieve a 4.2 sooner than the HTC one if it ever does. To DNA owners who feel injusticed for buying a device just to have one come out that would trump it, its irrelevent if you are a Verizon customer since it will not be coming to verizon, and if it does, it will be a year down the road branded with a different name and already outdated.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    It's also a completely different chip, not just a slight bump in clockspeed. I'm sure there are some efficiency gains there, too, knowing Qualcomm.

Watching this thread is entertaining. Same as it was when the DNA came out. Only to find out the DNA got really good battery life. Especially when compared to what people "expected" out of the "small" battery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

I actually laughed out loud when I started reading this thread. I can't believe people are pointing to that 2300 mah spec and again assuming its too small. I guess some people didn't learn from the DNA. There is so much more than mah that goes into a phones battery life that you can't make those decisions based on a spec sheet. As a DNA owner, my average battery life is over 30 hours. That's without any battery saving actions because I don't think you should have to baby your phone to get it to last a day or more. I have been more than happy with my battery life on the DNA, and with the smaller screen on the HTC One, and (assumed) more efficient processor I would bet its gonna be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz1-2 View Post
    I actually laughed out loud when I started reading this thread. I can't believe people are pointing to that 2300 mah spec and again assuming its too small. I guess some people didn't learn from the DNA. There is so much more than mah that goes into a phones battery life that you can't make those decisions based on a spec sheet. As a DNA owner, my average battery life is over 30 hours. That's without any battery saving actions because I don't think you should have to baby your phone to get it to last a day or more. I have been more than happy with my battery life on the DNA, and with the smaller screen on the HTC One, and (assumed) more efficient processor I would bet its gonna be good.
    Your bragging about idle time? Screen on time is most important. Who cares how long a Ferrari can idle for?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    qICEM4Np likes this.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    Your bragging about idle time? Screen on time is most important. Who cares how long a Ferrari can idle for?

Not bragging simply saying don't judge a book by its cover. And I said nothing of idle time. My normal usage is 2-3 hours screen on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Yikes! Having to constantly un-plug/plug into a charge to keep the phone topped off would drive me crazy, not to mention put a lot of wear and tear on the USB port. Even when I had the Thunderbolt I never did that, instead preferred the option to replace a battery on the fly. Now with the Note 2 I don't need to do that as often, but having the option is invaluable to me as I can use the phone however I wish without having to worry about grabbing a charge here or there or having the phone stuck to a charger for the duration to fully charge the battery. Instead I already have a fully charged spare battery waiting to go at any time, just swap and go. But to each their own, whatever works best for you. I simply refuse to yield to a sealed/embedded battery. Too many negatives to any real positives IMO. Besides, why take away choice? Even if you have a phone with a user-replaceable battery, you don't have to swap it out if you don't want to, whereas those of us who do lose the option altogether with a sealed/embedded battery.
    There's nothing wrong with choice. Heck, I believe people either think I'm crazy or a masochist for still using my Thunderbolt without an extended battery, or even a second battery...and then I tell them how I can actually make it last all day. (without charging at all) While a user replacable battery is a convenience to you, it's an inconvenience to me; not the option of having one, but the actual act of doing it. Different people, different views
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    5,733 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Andru 1A USB Charger - Android Chargers & Cables

+ With this little guy, how would you NOT want to whip out your charger? I bought one of these for my phone (eyes light up, arms, move, it's awesome) and now two more people at work have purchased them for their S3's. We all have removable batteries, but no one is swapping. And I do have the extra battery/charger system, but my wife uses it for her phone and I prefer to connect it. When I'm in the office it's easy to keep the phone on the charger, because calls can be made via bluetooth. Also have the external battery for emergencies. Honestly, I leave the extra battery at home. The charger I linked is by far the coolest charging solution in the world (except maybe wireless) and thus instead of crying about removing the battery, instead we should show shop android some love and get this superior solution. It's win-win baby.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,905 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post

I do. I don't keep the screen on all the time. I want it to be able to idle for a VERY long time. Because when I pick my phone up and press the power button I want the screen to turn on. That's what's most important, for my phone to have juice when I NEED it to have juice, not just when the screen is on and I'm doing something.

I mean seriously, get over screen on time. If you need the screen to be on that much then you need to either be by a charger or have an external battery pack. Or get a different phone.

Also, while I'm kind of ranting, why do we worry SO much about battery life anyway? I would bet the vast majority of people don't and just plug in the phone when it says to (or at night when they get home). I'm gone from home for maybe 14 hours a day. I know that I can get 14 hours of battery life. Easy. If I think I might use my phone more then I'll make sure I have a way to charge it. (actually, full disclosure, I can charge my phone anytime I want, but I don't)
    Rizz1-2 and Darth Spock like this.

When I got a Samsung S3, I would take it off the charger at 8:30am, and by 9pm, it was dead. I spend my day running in between meetings, so charging is not always possible. I also take a train to work, so tunnels and extra use then takes a toll. If I'm meeting friends for dinner at 8:30pm, the phone is useless. To help out, I got a 3500mAh extended battery for it, and now the phone drops to about 30% by around 10pm, although with heavy usage, I've had it down to 0% in about 13 hours.

I don't see the new Qualcom chips + LCD 3 being better enough to give me the equivalent of 3500mAh runtime. Plus, the longer I have my phone, the more cool apps I find that drain the battery even more.

I'd love to take the new HTC One, port all my current apps to it, and see how it fares in my typical day.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,905 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag View Post
    When I got a Samsung S3, I would take it off the charger at 8:30am, and by 9pm, it was dead. I spend my day running in between meetings, so charging is not always possible. I also take a train to work, so tunnels and extra use then takes a toll. If I'm meeting friends for dinner at 8:30pm, the phone is useless. To help out, I got a 3500mAh extended battery for it, and now the phone drops to about 30% by around 10pm, although with heavy usage, I've had it down to 0% in about 13 hours.

I don't see the new Qualcom chips + LCD 3 being better enough to give me the equivalent of 3500mAh runtime. Plus, the longer I have my phone, the more cool apps I find that drain the battery even more.

I'd love to take the new HTC One, port all my current apps to it, and see how it fares in my typical day.
    Are you literally running between meetings? Or are you in a car? Use a car charger then. On the train are you sitting down? External battery pack. Not saying it can't be a pain, but there are ways to manage it. And no matter what, you will have to manage it.
    mclarryjr, Ry and Darth Spock like this.

I don't know the most about battery tech, but why is no one mentioning the fact that the One is using a lithium polymer as opposed to the DNA's lithium ion? Does this not matter?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Darth Spock likes this.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

In experience with the lg optimus g not one bit the battery will endure more charge cycles prior to degrading. Software has more to do with it
    Edit
    And I like a lot of people would prefer not to have phone tethered to a charger a few times a day to get through a regular days use which for me is off the charger at 6am back on the charger at 11pm with moderate usage. Though I must admit HTC does a much better job than lg at building a kernel with good performance to longevity trade off
    Last edited by thebizz; 02-20-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Rooted for life

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Are you literally running between meetings? Or are you in a car? Use a car charger then. On the train are you sitting down? External battery pack. Not saying it can't be a pain, but there are ways to manage it. And no matter what, you will have to manage it.
    I walk to the train station (catching up in twitter in case there are train delays), then take a shuttle from the train station to work. Yea, just don't see the point of a battery pack if a larger battery is much much smaller. It's just hassle to remember to plug the phone in all the time. The technology is out there with extended batteries for phones with removable covers (like Samsung S3) or just phones with larger phones like LG Optimus Pro G and Razr Maxx. Droid RAZR max adds about 2mm for the model with 3500mAh battery, so it's not too hard to do.

The battery packs are great for girls with purses, but not for guys with pockets.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,905 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag View Post
    I walk to the train station (catching up in twitter in case there are train delays), then take a shuttle from the train station to work. Yea, just don't see the point of a battery pack if a larger battery is much much smaller. It's just hassle to remember to plug the phone in all the time. The technology is out there with extended batteries for phones with removable covers (like Samsung S3) or just phones with larger phones like LG Optimus Pro G and Razr Maxx. Droid RAZR max adds about 2mm for the model with 3500mAh battery, so it's not too hard to do.

The battery packs are great for girls with purses, but not for guys with pockets.
    I guess what I'm saying is, how much of a hassle is it really to plug your phone in at work? Takes me maybe 10 seconds. Or do you not have any available outlets anywhere? I know not all workplace environments are the same, but I would guess that most people have an outlet available somewhere at work.

I'm the opposite, though, I would rather carry around a battery pack that I might not need than have a phone be twice as thick because I stuck an aftermarket oversized battery in it. And I agree that the real answer is to just put larger internal batteries in phones, but that's not likely to happen across the board anytime soon.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast