Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Default Re: Will the One be Forgotten About After the S4 & Xphone Launch?

HTC needs to become extremely aggressive in their marketing campaign with this phone, just like Samsung was with the S3. They need to make this phone look like a rival to the Galaxy S and Iphones that have been embedded in the minds of consumers as the cool phone to have. They need to promote the beautiful and solid build quality of the One compared to the cheesy nature themed S3. Make fun of other manufacturers of not coming up with a phone with something as simple as front facing speakers ect.

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    It also needs to be able ti turn a profit for HTC since they seem to have been losing money over the past few years.
    HTC has not yet lost money. Their profits have been low, but not yet a quarter in the red.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by odd1ne View Post
    My little bit of thought is HTC are releasing the phone to early, most releases come mayish, so people's contracts will be expiring around this time, so by the time contacts are ending the whole push HTC has created is disappearing and Samsung has started there marketing machine, so anyone's contracts ending will auto look to these phones.
    This has kinda been my thinking as well. Like most, I only get on-contract upgrades periodically, except that I rarely upgrade phones off-contract in between unless the device fails. That being the case, I try to use my upgrades wisely. I really like the looks of the One and may ultimately get one, but its hard to make the call to jump on one right now at launch until more is known of the S4 and X-phones. I know the adage about waiting on "the next big thing", but in this case, waiting to see what the other two offer seems more prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    HTC has not yet lost money. Their profits have been low, but not yet a quarter in the red.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    They have been losing money, they've still made a profit but it's been getting smaller as each quarter passes.

It also needs to be able ti turn a profit for HTC since they seem to have been losing money over the past few years.
    While their profits have eroded, they have not been losing money at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by popartist View Post
    They're the same thing. Less profits means losing money, read all the web articles that are talking about it and they use the same term. Its different from not making a profit.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

"Oh hey Honey, just wanted to let you know although my salary has been cut in half for the past year, we didn't loose any money."
    "Oh one more thing, pack your stuff in boxes by tomorrow because I sold the house."

Looks like we have the Sammy sheep shakin in their hooves!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Yup. They have been making enough to pay their bills.

Their profits are shrinking so in essence, they're not putting as much savings aside.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    bp3dots likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    "Oh hey Honey, just wanted to let you know although my salary has been cut in half for the past year, we didn't loose any money."
    "Oh one more thing, pack your stuff in boxes by tomorrow because I sold the house."
    Not the same situation. HTC is not "in the red" yet, why would you sell your house if you could afford to keep it? haha

I think the visual aspects of the phone and the supposed premium feel will be enough if the marketing is there to back it up (Sony seems to be going this route with the Z). I'm currently shopping around to switch from ios to android and those were two of the big selling points for me (in addition to longevity). I have friends who insist I get a gs3, but I hate the way it feels, and visually it's pretty boring.

One of HTC's goals right now has to be to snag some of the dissatisfied iphone users, which explains the styling and the blinkfeed feature. It seems like they're trying to appeal more to average consumers. At least here in the US, I don't get the feeling that many average people are concerned with removable sd cards and batteries, or with "bloatware" if it doesn't very noticeably slow the phone down.

People will buy pretty much anything if you convince them properly, which is what HTC is going to have to do. Like everyone is saying, there's apple and Samsung ads everywhere. I almost never see anything from HTC. You can make a killer product and no one will buy it if they don't know it's out there.
    Not sure yet if I'm going to buy the one, but I'd definitely like to see them get some success. The smartphone market will be much less exciting as a two company monopoly.
    coronaboy10, Ry and a22matic like this.

They're the same thing. Less profits means losing money, read all the web articles that are talking about it and they use the same term. Its different from not making a profit.
    I dunno what web articles you're reading. Losing money means your expenses are more than your revenues....
    icwhatudidthere likes this.

I dunno what web articles you're reading. Losing money means your expenses are more than your revenues....
    It's one of those phrases that can be used in more than one way...

Google "HTC loses money" and see for yourself.

It's one of those phrases that can be used in more than one way...

Google "HTC loses money" and see for yourself.
    Not to nitpick (although I suppose I am) but it really isn't a phrase you can use both ways. The company isn't losing money, it's gaining less money. You can't lose something you never had in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by go3go View Post
    Not to nitpick (although I suppose I am) but it really isn't a phrase you can use both ways. The company isn't losing money, it's gaining less money. You can't lose something you never had in the first place.
    Like I said, google it and see for yourself. That's all I'm saying.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Like I said, google it and see for yourself. That's all I'm saying.
    Well....just because a 1,000 people use the wrong term doesn't mean it's right. Also, in the same vein, just because multiple blogs write the same story doesn't mean it's right.

Until a company is in RED they aren't really losing money. Look up the meaning of LOSE. They are just making less money. Which is not the same as losing.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 2:
    bp3dotsRy 
    bp3dots, Ry and a22matic like this.

Default Will the One be Forgotten About After the S4 & Xphone Launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Well....just because a 1,000 people use the wrong term doesn't mean it's right. Also, in the same vein, just because multiple blogs write the same story doesn't mean it's right.

Until a company is in RED they aren't really losing money. Look up the meaning of LOSE. They are just making less money. Which is not the same as losing.
    Making less is losing to me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    If I were never here, you would never know.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams#AC View Post

Losing, in a sense that they're losing in the marketplace (perception/mindshare/marketshare).

But as Kevin already pointed out, they're not in the red. They may be headed towards losing money, but currently, they're making enough revenue to cover their business.

You want to look at losing? Look at Motorola.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Well I would argue that you are jumping to conclusions about what the "majority" of users care about. You didn't state it explicitly, but I'd imagine it would be along these lines: removable battery, SD card storage, software updates.

Fact is, that's just not what sells smartphones. The masses are swayed by perception, not hard specs. And those features above, are not phone selling points. You've never seen a commercial saying, "LOOK! OUR PHONE HAS REMOVABLE STORAGE!" Have you? I don't think so. SD cards are, in reality, a geek thing.

HTC actually does have a marketing point with the screen. Because the screens are different, and displays are something that the majority of users care about. I think HTC should capitalize on the screen differences and construction differences. I believe that with proper marketing, they can really get back in the game. All the pieces are there, they just have to be smart.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Being someone that sells phones for a living, his conclusions are pretty good. Camera, screen size, battery life (not necessarily Mah, mind you - but actual useage time), total storage (not really about expandable, 32GB will satisfy most people) Those are the biggest things most people will worry about. Both screens will be very high quality to the average user, and while the One may look better, its unlikely to be a stopper for someone asking for the Sammy off the bat.

The marketing campaign will be key, to show people how the One stands up against the others.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    Being someone that sells phones for a living, his conclusions are pretty good. Camera, screen size, battery life (not necessarily Mah, mind you - but actual useage time), total storage (not really about expandable, 32GB will satisfy most people) Those are the biggest things most people will worry about. Both screens will be very high quality to the average user, and while the One may look better, its unlikely to be a stopper for someone asking for the Sammy off the bat.

The marketing campaign will be key, to show people how the One stands up against the others.
    The key point here.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post

You have your way of looking at things, I have mine.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

And you would be incorect. They may be losing sales, losing market share, and losing mind share, but they haven't been losing money. In a business losing money is a very specific thing. It means a company is spending more money than it is bringing in. Saying "To me" in front of an incorrect statement doesn't make it any more valid, it just makes you incorrect and/or ignorant.

You have your way of looking at things, I have mine.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    And your way of looking at this is incorrect. See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    IMO, it depends 100% on how well HTC markets the One.
    Absolutely. I personally feel that Samsung phones are behind HTC, Sony, Motorola, and LG in build quality and aesthetics and about tied with them all on the software side. Yet people totally buy into the marketing machine and buy these plasticy phones up by the millions.
    Most people commonly cite two reasons for this: 1. SD card expandable storage and 2. removable battery.

I totally disagree. iPhones have neither yet sell like crazy. It's the marketing. This has always been the problem with all of the Android brands I just listed. Has anyone outside of Android forums even heard of the LG Optimus G? It is one really well done piece of gear! The build quality is top notch, and the UI is extremely fast even before the JB udate!!

But you have heard of the Nexus 4 right? Ah. Both made by LG, and both phones have almost the exact same hardware. Bu the Optimus also has LTE and 32GB storage...

...And hardly made a dent in the public mind.

It really pisses me off. Seeing great phones flounder. These android companies need to wake the F up and advertise on mainstream media, not just the freaking internet. Amazing how only one out of 5 android OEM's even gets this through their thick skulls. SMH. Seriously you would think they were Scottish and not Asian! Cheapskates...

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    And you would be incorect. They may be losing sales, losing market share, and losing mind share, but they haven't been losing money. In a business losing money is a very specific thing. It means a company is spending more money than it is bringing in. Saying "To me" in front of an incorrect statement doesn't make it any more valid, it just makes you incorrect and/or ignorant.

And your way of looking at this is incorrect. See above.
    If I had $8 yesterday and I have $5 today, I'm still in the positive, but I have lost money. And please don't call me ignorant. Name calling isn't necessary. It's just a thread in a forum.

Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

If I had $8 yesterday and I have $5 today, I'm still in the positive, but I have lost money. And please don't call me ignorant. Name calling isn't necessary. It's just a thread in a forum.

A better example.

It costs you $2000 a month for room and food. You used to generate $5000 a month in monthly revenue.

But now, you only generate $2500 a month in monthly revenue. You're still making enough to cover your expenses.

HTC's revenues and profit have shrunk considerably, but they are still making enough to cover their expenses. Contrary to what you think, they're not a company operating at a loss right now.

I guess people don't like to be corrected but wrong is wrong.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

jdevenberg and go3go like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    A better example.

It costs you $2000 a month for room and food. You used to generate $5000 a month in monthly revenue.

But now, you only generate $2500 a month in monthly revenue. You're still making enough to cover your expenses.

HTC's revenues and profit have shrunk considerably, but they are still making enough to cover their expenses. Contrary to what you think, they're not a company operating at a loss right now.

I guess people don't like to be corrected but wrong is wrong.
    $5000 to $2500 is still a loss. And whether you or anyone else thinks otherwise, it still is no reason to call me ignorant.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast