Will the One be Forgotten About After the S4 & Xphone Launch?

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but this phone will not pass S4 sales. The galaxy s series is like the new apple iPhone. It has that "cool" status and for that reason alone it'll sell a ton of devices (see previous phones). No reason this can't be the 4th most sold device like someone stated.
Sent from my Sammy S3

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but this phone will not pass S4 sales. The galaxy s series is like the new apple iPhone. It has that "cool" status and for that reason alone it'll sell a ton of devices (see previous phones). No reason this can't be the 4th most sold device like someone stated.
Sent from my Sammy S3

That maybe true in the end, but the One doesn't necessarily need to sell more units total than the S4 in order to be a success, it just has to gain a significant share against the S4. And based on what I've seen, it's more than capable.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
That maybe true in the end, but the One doesn't necessarily need to sell more units total than the S4 in order to be a success, it just has to gain a significant share against the S4. And based on what I've seen, it's more than capable.

It may be capable, but will it happen? The mobile space is very crowded with two manufacturers who have been able to distance themselves. It is more likely that HTC will be eclipsed by Nokia or even BlackBerry than be able to contend with Samsung and Apple. Samsung will come out with the S4 and Note 3. Apple will have the 5S and the 5 for $99. And there may be another Nexus coming out this year. What is the draw to HTC? There isn't. And that's their problem. Why would an iPhone user looking to switch to Android choose HTC when Samsung has already become the brand fitting that bill? Why would someone who has been witnessing the success of Samsung and probably eyeing the S3 or hoping for the S4 choose an underdog in HTC? Specs are going to be comparable. HTC doesn't have a differentiator. I like the company, but it may not be in the cards for them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

It also needs to be able ti turn a profit for HTC since they seem to have been losing money over the past few years.

Danger_Mouse#AC

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
HTC needs to become extremely aggressive in their marketing campaign with this phone, just like Samsung was with the S3. They need to make this phone look like a rival to the Galaxy S and Iphones that have been embedded in the minds of consumers as the cool phone to have. They need to promote the beautiful and solid build quality of the One compared to the cheesy nature themed S3. Make fun of other manufacturers of not coming up with a phone with something as simple as front facing speakers ect.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My little bit of thought is HTC are releasing the phone to early, most releases come mayish, so people's contracts will be expiring around this time, so by the time contacts are ending the whole push HTC has created is disappearing and Samsung has started there marketing machine, so anyone's contracts ending will auto look to these phones.

This has kinda been my thinking as well. Like most, I only get on-contract upgrades periodically, except that I rarely upgrade phones off-contract in between unless the device fails. That being the case, I try to use my upgrades wisely. I really like the looks of the One and may ultimately get one, but its hard to make the call to jump on one right now at launch until more is known of the S4 and X-phones. I know the adage about waiting on "the next big thing", but in this case, waiting to see what the other two offer seems more prudent.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
While their profits have eroded, they have not been losing money at any point.

"Oh hey Honey, just wanted to let you know although my salary has been cut in half for the past year, we didn't loose any money."
"Oh one more thing, pack your stuff in boxes by tomorrow because I sold the house."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
While their profits have eroded, they have not been losing money at any point.

Yup. They have been making enough to pay their bills.

Their profits are shrinking so in essence, they're not putting as much savings aside.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
"Oh hey Honey, just wanted to let you know although my salary has been cut in half for the past year, we didn't loose any money."
"Oh one more thing, pack your stuff in boxes by tomorrow because I sold the house."

Not the same situation. HTC is not "in the red" yet, why would you sell your house if you could afford to keep it? haha

I think the visual aspects of the phone and the supposed premium feel will be enough if the marketing is there to back it up (Sony seems to be going this route with the Z). I'm currently shopping around to switch from ios to android and those were two of the big selling points for me (in addition to longevity). I have friends who insist I get a gs3, but I hate the way it feels, and visually it's pretty boring.

One of HTC's goals right now has to be to snag some of the dissatisfied iphone users, which explains the styling and the blinkfeed feature. It seems like they're trying to appeal more to average consumers. At least here in the US, I don't get the feeling that many average people are concerned with removable sd cards and batteries, or with "bloatware" if it doesn't very noticeably slow the phone down.

People will buy pretty much anything if you convince them properly, which is what HTC is going to have to do. Like everyone is saying, there's apple and Samsung ads everywhere. I almost never see anything from HTC. You can make a killer product and no one will buy it if they don't know it's out there.
Not sure yet if I'm going to buy the one, but I'd definitely like to see them get some success. The smartphone market will be much less exciting as a two company monopoly.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
They're the same thing. Less profits means losing money, read all the web articles that are talking about it and they use the same term. Its different from not making a profit.

I dunno what web articles you're reading. Losing money means your expenses are more than your revenues....

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
It's one of those phrases that can be used in more than one way...

Google "HTC loses money" and see for yourself.

Not to nitpick (although I suppose I am) but it really isn't a phrase you can use both ways. The company isn't losing money, it's gaining less money. You can't lose something you never had in the first place.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Not to nitpick (although I suppose I am) but it really isn't a phrase you can use both ways. The company isn't losing money, it's gaining less money. You can't lose something you never had in the first place.
Like I said, google it and see for yourself. That's all I'm saying.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, google it and see for yourself. That's all I'm saying.

Well....just because a 1,000 people use the wrong term doesn't mean it's right. Also, in the same vein, just because multiple blogs write the same story doesn't mean it's right.

Until a company is in RED they aren't really losing money. Look up the meaning of LOSE. They are just making less money. Which is not the same as losing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton